Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Tyranny to release on November 10th of this year, gets new trailer and pre-order DLC

Mei Scarlet

Novice
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
atnmzc.png

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I would pay $25 in a heartbeat, maybe even $30 but not a penny more; it is insulting that these games with no physical goods get to charge even $80 ffs
I work in marketing and I truly fail to see the logic behind it, if they charged a lower price that might encourage better sales upon release and make on the fence buyers like me to say "fuck it" and buy it sooner rather than wait for the inevitable 6 month patch cycle and buy it for $15 on the next summer sale
Hell If an fellow codexer can buy me a russian code I will gladly whip out the paypal

Last edited:

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I decided to check up some previews for the game and to be honest it sounds like the lessons Obsidian got from Pillars seem to have been applied to Tyranny; most previous mention gameplay stuff that wasnt on Pillars (or IE games for that matter) like armor affecting gameplay rather than just beign a stat modifier, different elemental variations and vulnerability (surely based on D OS) combat sinergy, smaller parties but with greater range of abilities... all in all it sounds like they are actually trying to (gasp) innovate and break away from the ties that CRPGs have to archaic D&D rules and actually have systems which take advantage of modern developments, cooldowns are not evil shit and properly implemented can be fun
The premise of the story sounds good to me and all of the previews make it sound like it is a good bold move for Obsidian and I rather like the idea of them developing new IPs like this rather than working like hired hands for Bethesda or whoever helped to pay the bill
If Kickstarter has a legacy is that it helped developers grow and take some chances like this and that is ultimately very good for the industry
... now about those russian gog codes...

Aenra

Also with those prices it might as well redirect navigation to TPB.

Living where you live/having whatever a financial issue you may be having need not entail your losing touch with reality.
If 42 euro are an issue to you at your age, the problem is not with Obsidian, RPGs, or games as a whole. It's rather about your life or quality thereof.

Game is shit, i get. No demo, i torrent to check it out? I get. 42 euros = lolol, fuck you motherfuckers, i go pirate? I don't.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Also with those prices it might as well redirect navigation to TPB.

Living where you live/having whatever a financial issue you may be having need not entail your losing touch with reality.
If 42 euro are an issue to you at your age, the problem is not with Obsidian, RPGs, or games as a whole. It's rather about your life or quality thereof.

Game is shit, i get. No demo, i torrent to check it out? I get. 42 euros = lolol, fuck you motherfuckers, i go pirate? I don't.
:bro:

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy

Pirating a suspicious game makes perfect sense. It allows the costumer to have more information about the quality of the product. If it is good, you buy. Otherwise, you don’t. Pirated games makes the market more transparent, even if some players are idiots that still insist of giving free money out of principle for shitty games. The game should be awesome if it is priced 42 euros.

Aenra

morons..morons never change..

Can you read? Really, can you? Often people think they 'can' do this, do that, but they only think they can. Can you? Five out of your six sentences are a repeat. Why are you wasting my time?
As to your sixth.. you should take your head out of your ass and re-evaluate.. game costs 20 and 30 years ago, and game costs now. The same.. i'd pay at least 45, usually closer to 60 25 yrs ago, i do so now too. Despite inflation, despite higher costs, despite (in the case of RPG studios) the fact that they have the same financial needs but a significantly smaller target audience; and what that entails, financially. You want to drop it all out the window, let your personal views on this specific title (i also think it will be shit, but that changes nothing) affect the facts, don't tag me when doing it.

But as i said, morons never change..

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
As to your sixth.. you should take your head out of your ass and re-evaluate.. game costs 20 and 30 years ago, and game costs now. The same.. i'd pay at least 45, usually closer to 60 25 yrs ago, i do so now too. Despite inflation, despite higher costs, despite (in the case of RPG studios) the fact that they have the same financial needs but a significantly smaller target audience; and what that entails, financially. You want to drop it all out the window, let your personal views on this specific title (i also think it will be shit, but that changes nothing) affect the facts, don't tag me when doing it.

I am not sure I understood because you are always so elliptical, let's try:

So are you saying that we should take into account the costs it takes to produce a game? I thought it's my preferences that dictate my willingness to pay, and not sympathy towards the developers and their financial hardships.

oneself

Arcane
Shitposter
A minority-white, multicultural hellscape
Watched the trailer. The decapitation is too clean. Axe needs to be stuck in the neck and you have to pry it apart. Decapitations should also be by blood sprays as internal pressure equalizes, followed by a steady trickle of blood pouring out like a broken fauset.

And where is the blinking of the decapitated due to severed nerves disrupting membrane resting potential?

0/10 not grimdawk enough.

Last edited:

sstacks

Arcane
All this talk of pirating and cost of the game and etc... if you make a game that lets players wallow in evilness, should they be shocked if the game is pirated? Yeah I'm being facetious but hey, you target a certain demo :P

DeepOcean

Arcane
This decapitation I fondly remember:

Really cool how the woman move close to her husband and start sobbing at his side, nowdays that kind of animation wouldn't be in so developers could cut corners so you would read some text saying how sad she is, while she is rooted on the ground and without moving like an statue. The gaming industry is such a joke nowdays.

Aenra

So are you saying that we should take into account the costs it takes to produce a game? I thought it's my preferences that dictate my willingness to pay, and not sympathy towards the developers and their financial hardships.

There is a difference between:
- having an issue with the standard (AAA) game unit price having remained the same for three decades now. Three decades. The same.
- having an issue with a specific title (be it in terms of quality, personal preference, other) or a specific studio as a whole mayhap.

I don't see what's so difficult to comprehend.
I too (have already said it) think this game will be shit; for MY standards of course, ymmv. I too have mentioned elsewhere that i have issues with this studio in specific. Or with its games more often.
But using their price tag, which IS indeed average/standard range, in order to.. what..? Justify my subjective issues? Convince myself or another i am right? Is pointless at the least. Let's say moronic, far as i'm concerned.
Likewise with using said price tag in order to justify the unjustifiable, ie that an adult is incapable of producing 42 petty euros, ergo it's somehow the studio's fault.

As always in here, an easy 80% think top and bottom. Good or bad. You can show them the inbetween, they're still unwilling to come to terms with it. Their call. If they have an issue seeing it spelled out for them, their call again.

edit: and because the ADHD has not strayed far from our doors, before any of you gets confused again, read my previous post in regard to torrents, which i use too. A lot. But for different reasons. The post you quoted me on was a reply to another poster finding the price an outrage and another before him saying 42euro = torrent.

Last edited by a moderator:

Crescent Hawk

Cipher
God created Kyros to train the faithful, one cannot go against the word of God.
- From from The Wisdom of the Fatebinder by the Princess Kills in Shadow.

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

There is a difference between:
- having an issue with the standard game unit price having remained the same for three decades now. Three decades. The same.
- having an issue with a specific title (be it in terms of quality, personal preference, other) or a specific studio as a whole mayhap.

I too (have already said it) think this game will be shit; for MY standards of course, ymmv. I too have mentioned elsewhere that i have issues with this studio in specific. Or with its games more often.
Using their price tag, which IS indeed average and IS indeed at the standard range, in order to.. what..? Justify my issues? Convince myself or another i am right? In pointless at the least. Moronic in fact, far as i'm concerned.
Likewise with using said price tag in order to justify the unjustifiable, ie that an adult is incapable of producing 42 petty euros, ergo it's somehow the studio's fault.

edit: and because the ADHD has not strayed far from our doors, before either of you gets confused again, read my previous post in regard to torrents, which i use too. A lot. But for different reasons. The post you quoted me on was a reply to another poster finding the price an outrage.
I am simply saying that I do not expect to get enjoyment worth 42 eur out of it - I don't care what it costs to produce, I might have picked it up for 20-40 eur. I have no trouble coming up with "standard unit price for a game", if the game was good enough. I poured 120 eur into PoE, and with the hindsight I think should have paid out about one third of that.
Personally I don't do torrents for games. Games are cheap enough as it is.
It's your writing really, it's kind of stream of consciousness.

Aenra

I am simply saying that I do not expect to get enjoyment worth 42 eur out of it

No one forces you to purchase. No one forces you (should you -choose- to purchase) to do so in a pricing above the range of everything else; same range. Still.

All these kind of arguments relate to me is:
- i am stingy
- i am literally incapable (financially)
- i am being juvenile. Ju-ve-ni-le. Gimme gimme gimme

I want this, sure, but cheap. Just because. And if they don't make it cheaper, why they're bad, evul, dumb. Nope, you are. You as in figuratively :)

You can't have the pricing scale down to some third world shcmuck just because THEY expect everyone else to scale down to THEIR level.
You can't have the pricing scale down to what you, the arbitrarily defined ultimate judge of everything, think is O.K. in relation to what again YOU think it's (subjectively yes?) worth.
These are kiddy arguments. That you see them posted still, that you see them posted here as well, does not change that. This is not cars, toasters or window sills. Everything is subjective, reception-wise. So a grown up, he splits the o-bjective (the pricing, the regional differences and so on) with the sub-jective. Whether he likes it and therefore, whether he should purchase or refrain from. According to said sub-jective preferences. -NOT- the pricing. If the pricing is his issue, he should have a look at his life when it's 42 euros we're talking about.

Last edited by a moderator:

Aenra

Exci got butthurt :)

While i'm sorry to see you so (not being ironic), you do know deep down i'm right. First world products don't scale down to third world rates Exci. Never did, never shall.
And that's not unfair either. They live under different criteria than yours. Shape their life around those. Theirs. Not yours. Just how it is.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom