Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tyranny Pre-Release Thread

Sannom

Augur
TBH, I'm still not sure about #EvilWon.
Oh, I'm sure. They're marketing buzzwords. As you say, this isn't Sauron winning, it's Alexander the Great (although with magical WMD and immortality) winning. Brian Heinz said that they wanted to portray a more nuanced version of "evil". The map available on the main website tells us of a land depopulated and completely abandoned because the surrounding kingdoms kept fighting over it, and that was before Kyros came about.

I'm still interested by the fact that we serve the great tyrant this time, though.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
That tweet and retweet and heart emotion thing killed my interest. Like seeing my car dealer lick a dog's anus, it put me off of the dealership.

Now we will wait and see and maybe just steal a car from the lot out of spite.

I posted pages ago about how their target market for this product includes Bioware fans.

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
That tweet and retweet and heart emotion thing killed my interest. Like seeing my car dealer lick a dog's anus, it put me off of the dealership.

Now we will wait and see and maybe just steal a car from the lot out of spite.

I posted pages ago about how their target market for this product includes Bioware fans.

what's supposed to be Obsidian's selling point (besides "more of the same")?

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
So that's why it's gritty n shit. Also, choices.

I wish someone had the guts to do a Bronze Age setting and take it seriously.

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
How to expand the target audience in a way to reach as wide as possible (teenagers and old school renegades)?
I would dare to say the the game would need to be hardcore RPG at it's core, with God of War 3 gameplay adapted to the core rules.
GoW3 has many teen community fans and it's succesful for it. The question is: is it possble to make something like that?

Fry

Arcane
I wish someone had the guts to do a Bronze Age setting and take it seriously.

Here ya go...

Age_of_Empires_Coverart.jpg

Hyperion

Arcane
They're looking to pull in Bioware fans while reaffirming their stance on no romantic relationships with companions? Let's see how that goes...

Azarkon

Arcane
TBH, I'm still not sure about #EvilWon.
Oh, I'm sure. They're marketing buzzwords. As you say, this isn't Sauron winning, it's Alexander the Great (although with magical WMD and immortality) winning. Brian Heinz said that they wanted to portray a more nuanced version of "evil". The map available on the main website tells us of a land depopulated and completely abandoned because the surrounding kingdoms kept fighting over it, and that was before Kyros came about.

I'm still interested by the fact that we serve the great tyrant this time, though.

Sauron winning wouldn't have been that different. He would've killed/driven out all the elves, but afterward he'd have given their lands to his human allies, ruled both humans and dwarves through the rings, and probably enslaved the hobbits. Life under Sauron would've been oppressive, but in effect there'd still have been winners and losers among the mortal races, as opposed to just orcs killing everything as that was never Sauron's goal.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://fair-use.org/j-r-r-tolkien/notes-on-motives-in-the-silmarillion/

Notes on motives in the Silmarillion
Morgoth's Ring, The Later Silmarillion, Part I
by J.R.R. Tolkien

... Sauron had never reached this stage of nihilistic madness. He did not object to the existence of the world, so long as he could do what he liked with it. He still had the relics of positive purposes, that descended from the good of the nature in which he began: it had been his virtue (and therefore also the cause of his fall, and of his relapse) that he loved order and coordination, and disliked all confusion and wasteful friction. (It was the apparent will and power of Melkor to effect his designs quickly and masterfully that had first attracted Sauron to him.) Sauron had, in fact, been very like Saruman, and so still understood him quickly and could guess what he would be likely to think and do, even without the aid of the palantíri or of spies; whereas Gandalf eluded and puzzled him. But like all minds of this cast, Sauron's love (originally) or (later) mere understanding of other individual intelligences was correspondingly weaker; and though the only real good in, or rational motive for, all this ordering and planning and organization was the good of all inhabitants of Arda (even admitting Sauron's right to be their supreme lord), his plans, the idea coming from his own isolated mind, became the sole object of his will, and an end, the End, in itself. ...

Prime Junta

Let's not forget that Sauron/Mordor was also a stand-in for technological progress and the industrial revolution.

I.e., had Sauron won, Middle-Earth would've gone steampunk in a matter of decades. He would've been about as evil as any of the real-life autocrats of the mid/late 19th-20th centuries.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Let's not forget that Sauron/Mordor was also a stand-in for technological progress and the industrial revolution.

I.e., had Sauron won, Middle-Earth would've gone steampunk in a matter of decades. He would've been about as evil as any of the real-life autocrats of the mid/late 19th-20th centuries.

The Last Ringbearer reader detected ;)

Prime Junta

The Last Ringbearer reader detected ;)

Well technically guilty as charged, but that conceit is from Tolkien's own writing. It's quite obvious in LotR -- Ted Sandyman who mechanises his mill, Saruman and his smoke-belching forges, and so on -- and he discussed this in some detail in Letters at least.

(Edit: also The Last Ringbearer's Sauron wasn't evil at all, unlike the autocrats of the 19th and 20th centuries.)

Israfael

Arcane
As one of my cynical friends has said long ago, 'good(s) is what is mine, evil is what it needs to be protected from' (hard to properly render it from Russian to English) - basically, it all is a matter of perspective, even Horus Hairesy series by BL underscores that the notions of gods and daemons depend on which side you stand (especially in Fulgrim/Perturabo novels, both of whom were not psychotically evil a-la TV show Ramsay Snow, but just deeply flawed dictators).

The only genuine 'evil' democratic society (well, if you dont consider Blake's 7) that i remember was the Peacekeepers from Farscape, and everywhere else democracy is good and dictatorship is bad good by default.

Because of Cold War people tend to forget that Hitler was a democratically elected leader who seized power (initially) by legal means, as well as his 'colleagues' in many other states of that time (Lithuania, for example, had geniune Nazi regime, Poland under Pilsudski was not that far away) and that the notions of 'tyranny' and 'people's power' change with time.

Fry

Arcane
Because of Cold War people tend to forget that Hitler was a democratically elected leader who seized power (initially) by legal means,

Not entirely true. Hitler ran for president (which under the Weimar Republic was head of state) and lost to Hindenburg by a fairly large margin. He then managed to wheedle his way into being appointed Chancellor (head of the presidential cabinet at the time), and from there got legislation passed making himself dictator.

The legitimacy of democracy is ultimately determined by popular consensus. Even in strong constitutional systems, the only thing standing between dictatorship and democracy is whether or not people will allow themselves to be led.

Nihiliste

Arcane
Patron
Looking at the stream from the last page, I'm cautiously optimistic that this game will at least be good for what it is. I don't like the bioware inspiration much but hopefully they'll still deliver a good product.

Sannom

Augur
And right on cue, we have a new short story, called "Trial by Iron" :

https://blog.tyrannygame.com/2016/08/05/trial-by-iron/

As expected, it features Graven Ashe, but a little bit more surprising is the fact that one of the companions, Barik, is the main character. This is also the first mention of literacy in "official" material since the world map went online.

So it seems that I wasn't very far from the mark when I posited that the Archons were Tyranny's take on D&D-gods, the Archon of War apparently heard a prayer made in his name by Barik.

Sannom

Augur
No clue what the second image is supposed to be, but the third one is clearly a representation of a Beastman (the cuffs make me think that they've been enslaved) and I believe the first one is probably an artist's representation of an Edict or of Kyros' dominion.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
They try to operate by fantasy approach but in fact they are creaing "a world where Roman\British\Russian\Spanish Empire won" from a view of a local sandnigger or tribal, who is forced to obey new laws and is outraged that new masters forbid their wives to burn themselves when husband dies.

Sannom

Augur
You read Josh Sawyer's old Formsrping account too?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom