Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tyranny Pre-Release Thread

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Might there be just four companions? Barik - Disfavored companion, Verse - Scarlet Chorus companion, Lantry - rebel companion, ??? - Beastman companion. Makes sense.

Can't recognize any other companion in any of the videos, although it's hard to distinguish one leather armor wearing humanoid from another of course.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Apparently in the latest Obsidian Plays Twitch broadcast, it was announced that there was going to be Tyranny gameplay on Paradox's Twitch channel tomorrow.

Zzzzzz. Maybe they'll show different C&C at least.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Will wait for Infinitron to post the archived stream or youtube link of gameplay.

Also, I have a feeling this will play similar to Dragon Age: Origins on PC.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Might there be just four companions? Barik - Disfavored companion, Verse - Scarlet Chorus companion, Lantry - rebel companion, ??? - Beastman companion. Makes sense.

Melee Tank/DPS, Ranged/Melee DPS, Healer, and the beastman (probably self-healing tank or something). The distribution checks out.

Sannom

Augur
Not exactly tryin in originality stakes are they? Mind you I suppose its all in how its implemented.

Vhailor.
You're the second one to make that remark, and I just have to say : I don't see it. Vhailor was an armor animated by the absolute belief of its owner in his own version of Justice. Barik is still flesh and bone under the armor, and his survival has more to do with bad luck than belief.

So, if they're going to do an update for each of the companions before the game's release, that could be a way to estimate a lower bound on the release date. How many companions have we seen besides the three from the gameplay footage? Let's see if I can spot more in the snippets and trailers.
There is the Beastman (whom you found) and there is also the white-haired lady clad in blue whom we assumed to be the main character in old screenshots. She's in the E3 demo, fighting alongside the leader of the Rebel faction. When you choose either the Disfavored or the Scarled Chorus, she goes in a "waiting stance" rather than dying when her health is depleted, so I assume she's going to be more important later on. Given the earlier screenshots, I guess that she's going to join the party at some point.

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
Reading the latest blogs, I think this game is going to have Knights of the Old republic vibe set in unique fantasy world.
Judgements of overlord Kyros reminds me on age when Revan and Darth Nihilus were Sith lords striving for power. Archons could be equivalent to Sith lords.
New Archons, called exarchs, would challenge the current Archon of their powers for dominance. This could resemble to Sith master and his apprentice following the rule of the two.
Evil has won but probably main protagonist, which will player choose, could carve his own fate and end Kyros tyranny.
What I wouldn't like, is this turned in completely political fantasy war story.
I would pefer more dark esoteric fantasy genre.

Coma White

Educated
Reading the latest blogs, I think this game is going to have Knights of the Old republic vibe set in unique fantasy world.
Judgements of overlord Kyros reminds me on age when Revan and Darth Nihilus were Sith lords striving for power. Archons could be equivalent to Sith lords.
New Archons, called exarchs, would challenge the current Archon of their powers for dominance. This could resemble to Sith master and his apprentice following the rule of the two.
Evil has won but probably main protagonist, which will player choose, could carve his own fate and end Kyros tyranny.
What I wouldn't like, is this turned in completely political fantasy war story.
I would pefer more dark esoteric fantasy genre.

It's debatable whether Revan ever strove for power. Nihilus certainly never did -- he was a victim, not a tyrant.

Sannom

Augur
This feels more like another twist on the D&D-Gods formula to me. In PoE, the twist was that the gods were artificial and not part of the greater order of the universe. In Tyranny, the gods (a.k.a the Archons) are part of the greater order of the universe, but they're more akin to immensely powerful humans and their position is regularly challenged by other people with special powers.

It's debatable whether Revan ever strove for power. Nihilus certainly never did -- he was a victim, not a tyrant.
Revan definitely strove for power. He didn't want power for power's sake, but he definitely wanted to get as powerful as he could.

Coma White

Educated
Revan definitely strove for power. He didn't want power for power's sake, but he definitely wanted to get as powerful as he could.

Revan did what he felt was right. Whether he "strove" for power or not; I think the point is debatable.

But we should discuss this elsewhere; it has little to do with Tyranny. Like in my TSL LP. :martini:

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
Of course they don't have the exact character motivations. We don't know anything about Kyros's drive for power or his deeper personality.
I used the example to show hierarchy structure and relation between Sith masters and apprentices and archons and exarchs in another fantasy genre.

Last edited:

Coma White

Educated
Of course they don't have the exact character motivations. We don't know anything about Kyros's drive for power or his deeper personality.
I used the example to show hierarchy structure and relation between Sith masters and apprentices and archons and exarchs in another fantasy genre.

His motivations will be about as deep as Thaos' in PoE I imagine. Which is to say; they'll be almost non-existent.

Neanderthal

Arcane
Not exactly tryin in originality stakes are they? Mind you I suppose its all in how its implemented.

Vhailor.

You're the second one to make that remark, and I just have to say : I don't see it. Vhailor was an armor animated by the absolute belief of its owner in his own version of Justice. Barik is still flesh and bone under the armor, and his survival has more to do with bad luck than belief.

Nah i'm sayin Vhailor were a well implemented tank an spank merchant that coulda been generic an borin, so its all in implementation. Thinkin about it Morte were an even better example, but hes really nowt like this armour bloke.

Sannom

Augur
Yeah, when I think "Taunt", I think "Morte making any enemy spellcaster into a joke".

I'm liking the focus on mobility that you can give to Barik, even if it's still in the interest of protecting his fellow soldiers. His "Defender's Charge" reminds me of the Fighter's "Into The Fray" ability from PoE, except that the way it works is intuitive from the name.

Sannom

Augur
At least aggro mechanics allow the guy to use all tools at his disposal. Morte made them forget about anything but their tiny little fists.

PoE fans who want more fast-paced action combat and are already accustomed to microtransactions
What the fuck do micro-transactions have to do with anything when it comes to Tyranny.

The description made me think; have they mentioned at all to what degree we can customize the gear of our party members? The Dragon Age 2 comparisons are making me paranoid.
How about Planescape : Torment comparisons? Remember that? Only two characters who could change their armor (PC not included) and a few who couldn't even change their weapons.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
"In this version of Tyranny, and hopefully there will be many to come..." "As we develop the IP further..." Sequel already in the works?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
They're still playing on Very Easy difficulty. Boo.

Confirmed that the girl with the white hair is a potential companion. So that's at least five companions.

Last edited:

Tom Selleck

Arcane
That's what I'll play it at, unless they have "story mode" or "enjoy the story you rotund faggot" modes, so this is informative.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
lol microphone off

No different C&C. Boo again.

There's no voice acting because they hadn't recorded it yet. The next stream will have it.

Different C&C! He betrayed the rebels.

Still attacked though lol

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Yay, he replied to my question about C&C.

This scenario doesn't have as many choices as others, Brian says.

Oh god not the mic again

Next stream will focus more on combat, with higher difficulty

And it's over. Hey, new music.

It was basically the E3 preview video, but with a lot more explanation. This is the new best gameplay video now.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom