Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tyranny Pre-Release Thread

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
inspirations as diverse as ancient Greek linguistics and Christian pop songs

Come on, "Let's pronounce 'Kyrios' as 'Kairos'!" isn't really "ancient Greek linguistics". Maybe I'm feeling triggered because I used to have a professor who could spend hours talking about the concept of Kairos in Hölderlin's poetry, but that whole passage simply struck me as saying "we took what sounded good, and then later I found out that it actually had a meaning!"

On the same note:

“Kairos”. This word keeps coming back to me as see the possible player choices in game. I can’t shake the feeling that the allusion isn’t just a hint to the plot later in the campaign. Is it possible that “The Supreme Moment” is not just referring to the inevitable conflict at the end, but to the very moment the player takes control of the protagonist?

That’s an interesting thought.

Poor Rex :D

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
In addition to Greek mythology, I think someone mentioned in an interview, giving an example of "evil", the Chinese empire, with its characteristic traits - "advanced bureaucracy" and the general perception of its disregard for the individual, I guess stemming from Confucianism? I'm pretty uninformed on Confucianism and on China in general, but I guess that's the popular western stereotype. So I think that was also partly the inspiration.

As we've said, and heard it said before - ideas are not worth much by themselves, it's the execution that matters.

I think it will be rather shallow and lazy, as is customary in games, but who knows.

Prime Junta

In addition to Greek mythology, I think someone mentioned in an interview, giving an example of "evil", the Chinese empire, with its characteristic traits - "advanced bureaucracy" and the general perception of its disregard for the individual, I guess stemming from Confucianism? I'm pretty uninformed on Confucianism and on China in general, but I guess that's the popular western stereotype. So I think that was also partly the inspiration.

Confucianism doesn't really fit the evil empire thing. Legalism is where it's at.

Go with the Qin Dynasty. Their colour was black, they subjugated the fuck out of everybody and enforced their laws with extreme rigidity, burned all books that didn't agree with their take on things (that they could find), and built a huge-ass mausoleum for the Emperor. The Warring States period and the rise of the Qin empire is fascinating stuff. Legalism was formulated by one Shang Yang, a fascinating character in his own right; he laid the groundwork for the Qin expansion and eventual empire, and was executed along with his entire extended family (the Nine Familial Exterminations punishment) for his trouble. Which gives an idea of how things worked under Qin rule.

And... the Qin pretty much laid the groundwork for all the subsequent dynasties that would unify China: common weights and measures, a common legal framework, a common written language, that sort of thing.

The Chinese themselves are ambivalent about it.

Edit: Qin Shi Huang. Looks the part IMO.

1024px-Qinshihuang.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Don't forget this guy, whose life story sounds like a description of one of those Archons.

Fun docu-drama about this:

Last edited:

Mustawd

but that whole passage simply struck me as saying "we took what sounded good, and then later I found out that it actually had a meaning!"

That's exactly how I read that part. Just something generic fantasy sounding and finding some kind of meaning that fit they're needs. Lucky that it worked so well for them I guess.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
These interviews are kind of pointless until Paradox allow them to reveal more than what they showed at GDC.

Mustawd

Don't we at least know that it's RTwP though? That's a big one. People can infer what they want in terms of similarities to how PoE worked, which is saying a lot.

Mustawd

Don't we at least know that it's RTwP though? That's a big one.
I don't think it's been announced, but .... we know it.

GameWatcher: Can you give any specific examples of character abilities?

Brian Heins: We’re not going too much into the abilities at this point. One thing we did talk about during our demo at GDC, is that our combat is the same “real-time with pause” tactical combat that Eternity has. On top of that, we wanted to bring the companions into combat as well, so we added abilities you can use between your player character and your companions that we call companion combos.

source

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Dear Obsidian/Justin Bell, please reference Front 242's Tyranny (For You) in the soundtrack. Kyros's empire is on fire.

kris

Arcane
As a Fatebinder, you might be called on to resolve a dispute between leaders of two armies that have conquered an area. Who gets to enslave the populace? Who gets to confiscate the crops and feed their troops? Or, you might be called on to examine scrolls of knowledge to determine if they contain any forbidden lore (and what happens to you once you’ve learned that forbidden knowledge, anyway?)..

how can armies conquer an area when the overlord already controls all the known world? Lets conquer it again!

Prime Junta

how can armies conquer an area when the overlord already controls all the known world? Lets conquer it again!

Both armies serve Kyros but their generals have their own ambitions.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
The game takes place in a recently conquered region, the last corner of the world to fall to Kyros.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Btw for the whole Kyros/Kairos debate:
In Greek Kyros is pronounced "KEER-oss" while Kairos is pronounced "kaer-OSS".
So yeah in English they look as if they could be the same thing, but since they're talking about ancient Greek..

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom