Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Tyranny Dev Diary #2: The Basic Character System

Self-Ejected

Kazuki

Self-Ejected
as long the C&C, lore and story is good, i'll buy it.

who cares for gameplay?

It remains to be seen though.

After PoE, i have pretty low expectation that they will redeem themselves in that department ever again.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Obsidian haters are silly. You hate them, yet givr much more attention to them like you are long time hard fans.

Just admit it, ya'll just obsidian's army of tsunderes

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
I have to say I am curious as to how this game will come out. Don't get me wrong, I have a love-hate relationship with POE (though it's much better after the entirety of the White March came out).
Still, this game does intrigue me a good bit.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Obsidian haters are silly. You hate them, yet givr much more attention to them like you are long time hard fans.
I gave them so much attention that I didn't bought White March and won't buy this game, I'm more interested on brofists at this point and waiting the day DU will monetize them so I can get money, being in dollars, it will probably be more than the brazillian unemployment insurance. Maybe with this plan I can afford to pay for an expensive choose your own adventure game with shitty combat minigames like you first worlders like to do.

Neanderthal

Arcane
You know wi Poes sayin only strong folk av strong souls an now Tranny linking force o personality wi health i'm beginning to wonder if somebody at Obs as got a problem wi anybody whos bodies been fucked up, through birth or whatever. I know its bollocks but they keep on designin like this, strange.

uaciaut

Augur
Skill system is better than PoE's.

edit: people are whining about one skill decreasing all CD's i don't see the problem unless they're retarded about the numbers (i.e. 1 point doesn't give you 10-20% cdr) and as long as you have enough incentive to skill other things.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
I wonder what it means that Might increases "attack and ability strength", while Wits increases "spell damage". Presumably Might also only increases damage, but it's odd that they use the word "strength" instead.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Under New Management said:
To the untrained eye, they might look like hardened, bloodthirsty killers. Viewed through a filtered lens, you find something very different – . . . a rich and diverse culture. If the distinction isn’t obvious while the Scarlet Chorus is raiding your village and burning your house to the ground, you aren’t looking closely enough.
And you thought Siege of Dragonspear was topical! Apparently Tyranny is courting the PEGIDA playerbase. :smug:

ushas

Savant
Meh, looks generic as hell... and six talent trees, really? If three are Defense, Power and Leadership, seems safe to asume the others are Stealth, Offensive Spells and Healing Magic or something creative like that.

Level-by-use aside, it actually reminds me of fucking Dragon Age II & Inquisition. Was expecting more from an RPG that apparently wants to try different things with its setting & story.

Now as you mentioned that, I cannot put out of my head a distant parallel with DA2. It has even the sharp black & brown style. Though I haven't played either of them. Anyway, they are wiser not to call this PoE2.

ushas

Savant
I wonder what it means that Might increases "attack and ability strength", while Wits increases "spell damage". Presumably Might also only increases damage, but it's odd that they use the word "strength" instead.
yeah I've been wondering that too, as Strength doesn't automatically imply (only) damage.
From the blog post:
Might – your character’s physical strength and attack power.
Wits – intelligence and arcane potential.

At the first sight, one may observe a distinction between something like physical and magical abilities. There is no indication how attributes themselves influence the presented talent Call to Battle*. So what do "abilities" refer to? I've been assuming to talents, but could it be something else?

* Not that some two dimensional correlation would change how this inspirational talent sounds uninspired so far, though I may be mistaken.

Another curiosity is that while Vitality gives bonus Health per level, there is no further indication of short and long term wellness in comparison to Endurance and Health distinction used in PoE. So I presume they dropped that too. The word Endurance is now a defence. Sorry if that's old news. I've a kind of moved from the target audience to a casual observer after some nth word of "evil".

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Those screenshots could just be using inconsistent terminology which has yet to be edited.

ushas

Savant
Sure, design and descriptive iterations are to be expected, after all.

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

An excerpt:
Cutting off his own speech, Chris Trap halted just outside the perimeter. He sniffed, turning his gaze to each of his red-clad coders in turn.

“Something’s wrong,” he said. “I smell at least one spilled latte among you stinking mongrels.” He turned to Josh Trap with an implied question. Her binder of was still out, and his attention drew to it like an air bubble to the middle of a spirit level. After all, tribal knowledge only goes so far and all standards documentation needs to be regularly reviewed.

The silence lengthened. Josh Trap swept her gaze around the circle of cubicles one last time, equally prepared to execute a plan or let the matter drop.

Anyone else?

A stooped-over coder with a body like a siege tower lifted his head to regard Josh. His hands up to his elbows were still red from an earlier burrito that day. His brow sloped over tiny eyes that twinkled with determination.

Josh leaned forward to listen. Bear Tim hadn’t spoken to anyone since the start of the Kickstart campaign. He was a man of few words who drove a Prius, which she could respect as an environmentally conscious woman.

“We fire him,” he said. “We fire him because no fun allowed. If he can’t write meaningless infodumps to complement dull gameplay, then he’s no boss of mine.”

You’re boss now, she signed, letting her fingers do the work in the absence of her ruler and pencil.

He nodded, hiding any reluctance if he felt it. “If I must. You coordinate the documentation, though. I can give them a few recipes, but I don’t got a mind for thinking gameplay balance.”

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom