Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tweaking character creation/progression

Johannes

Arcane
Upon startup in AoD, you really can't invest into too many different skills and hope to have much success with them. So your options are pretty limited until you can find (or know by metagame) the quests appropriate for your starting build that'll grant you some more skill points which'll let you diversify your character.

Now, if you'd receive significantly more Skill Points upon chargen, and correspondigly less from quest rewards, it'd open up the possibilities for a single starting character a lot more, and lessen the wandering around looking for passable quests. To me it's pretty annoying in a game like this, when my characters actions are mostly determined by what'll grant him the most experience - it makes a narrative-focused game too gamey in this aspect, breaks the Immersion. It'd just feel more right to me when your PC is more defined from the start, instead of magically gaining new skillsets by doing unrelated things. Also, makes the SP-saving metagame tactic less influential.

Also necessary might be to cap how much you can invest on chargen into a single skill.

TLDR: more Skill Points to be distributed on chargen, less given as quest rewards.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
I completely agree. The chargen isn't very interesting (in fact, it kinda sucks). We have a very good solution (we tried it and it works very well), you'll see it in R4, which will be the last beta release before the game is released. The meta will also be fixed in R4 (at very least it will feel less unpredictable and you'll have a better idea of what your points do).

Saduj

Arcane
I completely agree. The chargen isn't very interesting (in fact, it kinda sucks). We have a very good solution (we tried it and it works very well), you'll see it in R4, which will be the last beta release before the game is released. The meta will also be fixed in R4 (at very least it will feel less unpredictable and you'll have a better idea of what your points do).

:bro:

Can't wait to see what this is. My only real issue with AOD, from what I've seen so far, was the metagaming.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom