Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

TSOTR aka Minarus

What do you think about this project?

• Keep up the good work!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meh...

• This project is an abomination! Terminate it at once!

• Total voters

Deneidez

Educated
---Argh wall of text, WTF is this?(Short version)---
Game project called TSOTR(ex Minarus. Minarus will be name of the world in the game.). Game will be like morrowind with crappy graphics(made by me) and highly dynamic world in which all beings born, live and die while changing the world dynamically.

---Me, myself,I and WTF is this?---
I am sure you don't know me or most of you don't know me. I have been reading project monkey for a while and I think it pretty much sums up what you want from rpg games. Actually I have been making(designing) such a game for a while already. You might ask youself that can I really do it or is this another project that will fail. All I can say that I am not sure. Most games never see day light, that applies even those large budget games.

So am I just some whacko who knows nothing about game making, programming etc.? Nope or thats what I think. Actually I almost have masters degree in computer science(I just need to do some research and write about it to get my degree.) and I have been working in some projects before.

TSOTR will be using crappy 3D engine I have made. Its not much but it works and I actually can do things I need it to do for me(middle ware isn't an option).
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11130215/TSOTR/3DEngine.jpg
(C++/SDL/OpenGL)

I tried to make game like UnrealWorld, but I thought making such a game was just way too easy so I ditched 2D and turn based world.
Vid -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0eAyLNZ-h4
(C++/SDL , I can publish game and source, if anyone wants to use it or try it. Its just prototype made in 3 days so code isn't that good.)

TSOTR is just a hobby for me so I am not making it 8 hours a day or so. Progress will be slow. TSOTR will be a commercial game(Kind of... I have some strange selling plans for it.).

Yes, English isn't my native language and I curse those who made me to study Swedish instead of honing my English skills.(Yeah, we HAVE TO learn 3 languages just because of some retarded laws.)

Enough about me...

---TSOTR? Minarus?---
TSOTR is an acronym and Minarus is a working title. I will not yet revealing what TSOTR stands for.

---About TSOTR---
So... What is TSOTR all about. Its basically rpg where your character must live(eat, sleep etc.) to survive and everything your character does or doesn't do affects dynamic world, which lives its own life. TSOTR will be 3D and real time. TSOTR is also all about logic. Characters in the game won't be able to kill dragons alone, they also can't carry more stuff than what they would be in real life etc. Skills and attributes heavily affect characters ability to do anything.

---TSOTR - Media---
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11130215/TSOTR/ ... Models.jpg
(Character renders. Low poly nudes. SFW)

---TSOTR - Technical stuff---
- Game will be in first person only.
- Whole world will be simulated all the time and it will dynamically change according to how things go. Accuracy of simulation depends on processing power of computer it is run on.
- Lowest resolution game will run is 640x480. (Resolution can be as high as hardware can do. Ok, there is some limits but those are hundred(s) times more than highest current resolutions.)
- GUI will be highly modifiable.
- Platforms will be anything I can get my hands(own) on and anything that can handle opengl and of course my game. I can currently compile binaries for and will support:
*Windows
*Linux

---TSOTR - Combat---
Combat will have 'turns' that are based on how fast characters can finish moves/orders after they are commanded to do stuff. If main character runs out of orders, game will pause and player must give new orders. While main character is doing orders game can be paused and pause will be applied after current order. Player can give orders for companions by giving order to main char to command them to do something. This will of course take some time from main char and it can take some time before companions will react.

There will be no healing potions. Only way to heal is to rest. If character has critical wounds, resting will be days and while character is resting world will live on. Dying on the other hand will be almost impossible against sentient beings. However carnivore beasts, especially hungry ones, will kill any character. When main character wins battle, player can choose to kill or not to kill enemies. Sentient enemies will usually surrender, if they are losing badly and they cant flee(unless they berserk etc.). Every life is valuable(!), every life is tracked, if one kind of beings are all killed they will go extinct.

Combat in game will also follow logic as well as it can be done. For example player can never kill dragon alone. Also peasant with nothing but pitchforks will not be able to do much damage(or at all) to heavily armored knights.

Player can save while in combat, but there is only one big save slot so save scumming isn't possible. (Unless player backups whole directory.)

(YES BASICALLY ITS V.A.T.S with more options and unlimited APs.)

---TSOTR - Cultures---
There are several human cultures and each other race have only one culture. Human cultures are northern(vikings),western, arabic, tribal(african) and amazonian(women warriors). In first four cultures women have less rights and in amazonian culture its other way around. All people aren't equal and people might get trouble because of cultural differences. However because game world is dynamic people might get used to different cultures depending what kind of rules authorities will apply and how world develops. For example having slavery allowed and slaves from other cultures won't really help with equality.

Dwarven culture is traditional crafting, ancestor worshipping and in mountain living culture. Dwarves usually don't really get hate except from orcs who really don't like other races. There are only some humans and even less elves who (dare to) mock dwarves as they are known to have short temper. Dwarves don't like orcs, but can get along with humans and elves(especially artisans).

Elven culture is traditional tree hugging and magical culture. Elves live on the ground and usually have unforgettable houses and castles etc. Elven people are actually more liked than hated by other races, because of their manners, intelligence and very long temper. Yelling and taunting them would be like doing it to wall. Elves also don't hate other races, but they don't think them as equal to elves(not even close).

Orcish culture is brutal, warlord lead culture. Whoever (orc) can beat current warlord in (not so fair) fight will become new warlord. Even though you have to be orc to be warlord orchumans have really good chance to become as orc warlords because of their intelligence, cunning and because orcs can't really tell is one orc or orc-human. If its green and look like orc, it must be an orc. However (all) orcs aren't dumb enough to think that short and stout orc-dwarves or slim orc-elves are orcs. Well, thats for all orcs. As inviduals some orcs might even be fooled by dwarf who has painted his face with green paint. Orcs aren't really liked by other races and they don't really like other races too.

---TSOTR - Dialogue---
Player and players character is referred as you. Because game will be quite dynamic it would be hard (and stupid) to use traditional dialogue systems. Basically there are no dialogue at all. Whenever players character talk with other beings game will tell player what has happened, but not how it has happened. For example if player wants to ask about character X from character Y, there will be option "Ask about X" and output will be something like "You have learned that X is/has something... something... something...". Lets take another example. If character C wants to ask player about item D. Player will have few options how to handle it like "Tell C what you know about item D" and "Refuse to tell C what you know about item D" etc. Its simple I admit that, but it works well with dynamic world.

So can player choose any being, item in the world in dialogue? Pretty much yes. There will be list of items player can ask from and that list will first have mundane items and after a while player might have learned for example more characters etc. , which can be used in dialogue. There will be no text parser and player can't ask about things he doesn't know.

Few more examples...

Player: Ask where dragon is.
respond 1: NPC X doesn't know where dragon is.
respond 2: NPC X doesn't want to tell you where dragon is.
respond 3: NPC X told you whereabouts of dragon.
respond 4: NPC X ignores you.
(If players character is stupid, he might not know when people lie to him or when they don't tell him everything etc.)

Player: Chat about rumors.
respond 1: NPC X told you rumors about U, T and W.
respond 2: NPC X doesn't seem to have any rumors you don't already know.
respond 3: NPC X ignores you.
(U,T and W will have hyper links player can use to see what his character actually have learned.)

---TSOTR - Influence---
As for influence overall there should be more variables like trust, understanding and fear. Then there should be long term and short term things that affect those. For example short term would be if you beat up your slave, he/she will obey you and might be too fearful for do anything you don't like him/her to do and long term would be if you would beat up he/she regularly.

Trust -> Character have helped other character somehow and earned his/her trust.
Understanding(Only for intelligent sentient beings...) -> Character understands why other character does what he/she does.
Fear -> Character uses fear to rule other character somehow.

---TSOTR - Karma/Good&Evil---
You want to be a bad guy or a good guy. Well, theres no karma no black & white choices. Player can be bitch to one faction(or family etc.) and help another. However every being is unique. So whatever player does he/she might anger some people and some people will like him/her even within same faction. Only thing that is even remotely something like karma are vices & virtues.

Players choices won't change peoples opinions about player instantly. If player kills someone in some remote cave with nobody else around, there will be no consequences until someone figures out that it was player who killed the guy in cave. However if there is more people in cave and they see player killing someone in there, they will of course know that player killed someone, but whoever is outside the cave will not know anything about it. All of that also applies for NPCs. (Rumor system)

---TSOTR - Magic---
Magic will be somewhat logical, but I think I need to use some popamole approach.

Old design ->

As I said TSOTR is all about logic and well logic+magic=does not usually compute. So there have to be some compromises. Basically magic in TSOTR is similar to physical might and it tries to keep the energy balance. Magic can't create anything from thin air, but it can manipulate things. There will be no spell points. Instead spells generate fatique just like physical work. When spells are used against beings(telepathy for example) those other beings can resist those spells with will.

Examples how spells will work in TSOTR:
Character casts telekinesis spell and lifts small rock. If character has low skill in magic and low int he/she can't keep small rock in the air for a long. While small rock is held in the middle of air it takes 9.8*(mass of rock) energy to keep it floating(When rock is near enough, if not more fatigue will be added.). That energy will be added as fatigue by using int and magic skill(s). If two rocks are lifted, it takes more energy(depends on skill) to lift the second rock(One rock=1, two similar rocks>2). When character moves stuff with telekinesis(for example in combat), it takes (1/2)*(mass of rock)*(change of velocity) amount of energy to give velocity for objects when handling large objects. With smaller objects there is one more value that must be taken into account and its concentration. How does that work? Smaller the item is more concentration it takes to move it fast(Eliminates 'gatling gun problem' with smaller objects). However small objects can be moved slowly with no concentration minuses. Telekinesis can also be used as defense. Magic users can stop arrows, stones and even weapons.

---TSOTR - Quests---
Quests will be dynamically generated and they will depend on needs of people. For example if kings alchemist needs some rare ingredient for potion X and king needs that potion, king might give quest for anyone(Yes, even NPCs will be doing quests.), who is suitable for job. Even peasants might give quests for any character. However those quests will be more boring and pay less. For example something like helping with firewood etc. and payment would be loaf of bread or something.

---TSOTR - Races---
There are 4 different major sentient races in TSOTR. They are dwarves, elves, orcs and humans. All of them are similar to same classic races in any rpg game(I think you know what they are like.). However there also can be people who are for example half orc and half human or even half dwarf and half elf. Half orc and half human can be two different kind of things depending which genes are more powerful. There can be orc-humans or human-orcs. Orc-human looks like orcs, but they are more cunning and more intelligent. However they are weaker than pure orcs. Human-orc on the other hand is less intelligent and much stronger than average human etc. Half breeds are rare, but they can happen occasionally. Genetically they are pretty much dead ends like mules. Vice 'likes <race>' will increase odds to have half breed. Depending on society liking other races can affect reputation.

---TSOTR - Rumor system---
There are three different levels of rumors. They are gossips, rumors and tales. Is something gossip, rumor or tale depends on how strongly people think about what have happened. For example gossip would be some peasant fighting together while being drunk or if someone is having a secret relationship, missing person etc. Rumor would be something like unsolved murder, army movements etc. And tales would be something like heroic effort in war, completing very hard quest, dragon killing, mass murder(even unsolved of course) etc.

Depending on characters they might twist the truth somehow. For example if there is a gossip about missing person, some people could talk about murder, dangerous creatures near town/city etc.

Rumors will spread when people are talking with each others or when they witness something. Rumors will first spread among town/city they have happened. After some travelling merchants have visited town/city, rumor will/might spread even further. What will spread will depend on how much rumors there are around. People won't be able to chat about all rumors in one conversation, if they are many rumors around. Of course level of rumor will also affect which rumors will be changed. If there are unheard tales, they will be the first ones to be changed, then rumors and gossips are the later ones.

Player can also spread rumors, but of course player can't start new ones. However depending on players character he/she can twist the truth.

Gossips and rumors can die eventually, but tales are around as long someone knows them.

---TSOTR - Skills/Leveling/Classes---
There is no levels. Skills are gained by using skills. Skill gaining is based on basic stats that govern skill. Skills will also deteriorate, if they are not used. There is no upper limit for skills. Skills are only limited by age. However in some point skill gains will get extreme slow to get. Dwarves get bonus for crafting skills, elves get bonus for magic skills, orcs for fighting skills and humans get bonus for everything.

There is no classes. Everyone can learn everything based on their stats. However some things cannot be learned alone and characters will need to study things from books/scrolls or learn from other characters.

---TSOTR - Vices and Virtues---
There will be vices and virtues which will heavily affect characters(everyone will have these). Vices and virtues will partly affect influence over other chacters for example if they happen to have same vices and virtues they will understand each others or if they have opposite vices and virtues they will hate each others, but thats only if they know their vices and virtues. For example if someone is greedy and nobody knows that he is greedy, it won't affect anyhow to influence.

But what if your character is for example kleptomaniac. Should you roleplay as kleptomaniac or does it actually affect other things than influences too? Answer is YES it will affect heavily your characters acting. Player is basically just a spirit of the character and might lose control, if there is something players character really wants to do. So... Lets get back to kleptomania. If players character is kleptomaniac, there is a chance that he/she may steal stuff even if player doesn't want to steal. However if player commands his/her character to steal stuff occasionally to satisfy need to steal, player won't lose control of his/her character.

Vices and virtues will also affect what players can do. For example greedy character might refuse to give coin for a beggar, if he/she doesn't gain anything and honest character might refuse to steal anything etc.

Vices and virtues will also have different levels that indicate how strongly they will affect characters behavior and how strong is the need to satisfy them.

---TSOTR - World---
Procedural or static?
First versions will be static, but not sure should I keep it static.

---Changes---
11-11-2010 Rumor system added
11-15-2010 Cultures added
11-19-2010 Dialogue added
11-20-2010 Technical stuff added
11-27-2010 Platforms added (technical stuff)
10-10-2011 Changed magic a bit

---Next carrot---
(I am using carrots, not stick(!). Be more active and more info&stuff will be released.)

Nothing yet...

---Moar to come---
If you are just interested...
:M :M :M

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Heipä hei, oikein kunnon trollausviestillä aloitit joten älä ylläty jos palaute on sarkastisen hapokasta. Mutta sellaista on elämä Codexissa.

Mother tongue muuten englanniksi kirjoitetaan yleensä native language, noin niinkuin tulevaisuutta varten :D

1. Why RTwP instead of some variation of TB? You seem very adamant about that issue. Do you want it to be more about player reflexes and reaction-speed?

2. More detailed UnrealWolrd wouldn't be bad at all. Nice to see that you have ambitious goals.

3. The combat problem is a thorny one. The usual approaches to RT-combat you probably know already - either make it completely based on player-skill or then it's 50/50 where the character skill affects mostly damage. Boring click-fest it what it'll be, unless you can create enough different weaponstyles so that fighting with a sword is different from fighting with a spear is different from fighting with an axe and so on. Check Mount&Blade for ideas about that.

4. Nice point about sentient beings incapacitating instead of outright killing but both should be viable end-results for combat.

All in all, it looks like you want to create a roguelike with RTwP combat, not a bad goal.

Deneidez

Educated
GarfunkeL said:
Heipä hei, oikein kunnon trollausviestillä aloitit joten älä ylläty jos palaute on sarkastisen hapokasta. Mutta sellaista on elämä Codexissa.

Mother tongue muuten englanniksi kirjoitetaan yleensä native language, noin niinkuin tulevaisuutta varten :D
Roger that!

GarfunkeL said:
1. Why RTwP instead of some variation of TB? You seem very adamant about that issue. Do you want it to be more about player reflexes and reaction-speed?
I want players to feel the change with every second as game world changes dynamically around their character and player is able to affect only small portion of it. I don't want it to be about player reflexes or reaction-speed. Basically that rules out second and third option unless theres a way to do it differently so that it would be more about character skills(and well less strain on cpu). Stances in first option would give some bonuses/minuses for attack or defense and while character is changing stance it would get some minuses for few seconds(depends on character skills). Or... there could be no stances at all.

GarfunkeL said:
2. More detailed UnrealWolrd wouldn't be bad at all. Nice to see that you have ambitious goals.
Something like that, but I am not sure about game world either. Should it be procedurally generated or static and there is some things about game world that makes it impossible(or almost impossible) to use middle ware. Also whole world lives 'every' second(Near stuff will be simulated very accurately and stuff that is further away will be simulated less accurately and frequence of course will be wider.), but lets talk about combat first.

GarfunkeL said:
3. The combat problem is a thorny one. The usual approaches to RT-combat you probably know already - either make it completely based on player-skill or then it's 50/50 where the character skill affects mostly damage. Boring click-fest it what it'll be, unless you can create enough different weaponstyles so that fighting with a sword is different from fighting with a spear is different from fighting with an axe and so on. Check Mount&Blade for ideas about that.
Combat in Mount & Blade is great for m&b, but its something I want to avoid in my game.

GarfunkeL said:
4. Nice point about sentient beings incapacitating instead of outright killing but both should be viable end-results for combat.

All in all, it looks like you want to create a roguelike with RTwP combat, not a bad goal.
Well, I was thinking that all beings would be incapacitated instead of killed. Of course all non sentient beings wouldn't be able to heal each others or they wouldn't be able to heal themselves(unless they can regenerate etc.). Also I want npcs to have same rules as player has so player shouldn't have ability to kill them in combat unless npcs can do the same for player and thats not really an option, because when player dies his/her character dies and there is no way to load game(game must go on...), but player can still continue playing with offsprings(or those he/she/it has infected/made as a vampire, werewolf etc.).

Deneidez

Educated
Inziladun said:
Well it's better than Prosper.
Was that a compliment? :)

Anyway you have earned one more pic. This time it shall be almost NSFW high poly nude. (More attention, more info... I almost feel like being a attention whore. :) )

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Keep up the work Ambitious one.

It is always good to see people out there jumping in and having a go, trying to make an effort to learn and improve and maybe even produce something worthwhile at the end of it all :thumbsup:

Shemar

Educated
I voted "meh". Nothing to do with your specific project it is just how I feel about sandboxy RPGs. Sorry.

laclongquan

Arcane
The point of Unreal World being not attractive enough is that it's one man's effort. He's got a good game, he just dont have enough time to flesh out the world, fix the bugs, and customize it more.

So I put it back to you: does your project have enough manpower devoted to it? programming and 3d models is more than enough for one man.

Deneidez

Educated
laclongquan said:
The point of Unreal World being not attractive enough is that it's one man's effort. He's got a good game, he just dont have enough time to flesh out the world, fix the bugs, and customize it more.

So I put it back to you: does your project have enough manpower devoted to it? programming and 3d models is more than enough for one man.
Yes and no. I am able to do something alone. If it works, I will add more content as I can(Or if it works very well, I might even hire more people.). Game engine is designed so that it is easy to expand or even disable functions and of course it is able to use any number of cores/cpus you ever can throw at it. Theres even option for GPGPU(Unfortunately I don't have GPU that can handle GPGPU atm, but the option will be there and it will be activated as soon I get GPU that can handle GPGPU.) to help with calculations.

So I can alone do enough to make it look like a game and work like a game, but I don't think I can finish it alone.

Deneidez

Educated
And here we go. Interactive simulator. What does it have to do with minarus? Well, its part of TARD, which is AI for minarus.

So what does it do? Currently you can only watch how beings(only humans) live in virtual world. They can eat(there are several foods), sleep and idle. They can't die, because they don't have currently age and there are infinite amount of food. Why and how in hell this simple game can take so much resources? Its because it tracks everything in 1 sec inter walls, which means that if you give it 1h time to simulate things everything is calculated every second(!) while that 1h is going.

How do you use it?

First you must give it amount of cores you have. You can leave one core for surfing etc. , if you don't want it to use all resources. It can't currently detect amount of cores and will say always that you have 0 cores.

Next you must give number of beings that are simulated. Play around with different number of beings. Because of 1 sec interwalls you should use 1000 or less beings, unless you have very good comp.

And third one is the main thing. You can see what being is doing, how hungry it is and how much energy it has etc. All you can now do is to wait for some time and simulation will calculate all levels etc. in 1 sec interwalls.

TARD_Sim.jpg

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11130215/TSOTR/TARD_Sim.rar

StrangeCase

Educated
And here we go. Interactive simulator. What does it have to do with minarus? Well, its part of TARD, which is AI for minarus.

...your AI is called "TARD"? I desperately want your AI to outperform Bethesda's Radiant crap in every possible way. Then we can say that tard > radiant, and the world will make sense again.

Deneidez

Educated
Heh, yeah. TSOTR AI is called Tard. I think everyone can understand why. :)

Looks like theres 1200 views(huh). That nets you piece of code.

main.png

I am currently working on gui. I will complete main menu and simple gui system and maybe add new carrot when those are ready(I might shamelessly use you to test my crap.). ;)

CreamySpinach

Educated
Deneidez said:

main.png

I am currently working on gui. I will complete main menu and simple gui system and maybe add new carrot when those are ready(I might shamelessly use you to test my crap.). ;)

The moment you enter main you allocate your game class. After the game loop exits, you delete your game class then immediately exit main.

Why use a pointer?

Deneidez

Educated
CreamySpinach said:
Deneidez said:

main.png

The moment you enter main you allocate your game class. After the game loop exits, you delete your game class then immediately exit main.

Why use a pointer?
Its pointer because I might add functionality that allows to playing by using internet connection(phone, another computer etc.). In that case main system itself would be always on and whenever player wants to play the game main system will initialize GameCore and run it. But you are right that currently theres no need for it. (Theres also possibility that several GameCores could be running at the same time, but thats also something I haven't decided yet.)

If you want to know more about design of TSOTR, heres high level class diagram(Don't mind all that moon talk.). I am pretty open when it comes to talking about designs and stuff(Everyone should be, because it usually helps to realize other options and leads to better design.), but of course I am not going to share my code.

classdiagram_TSOTR.png

Deneidez

Educated
Hmm, 1500 views and I have nothing new to share about TSOTR. Lets go prosper this time!

prosp.jpg

<ironically> Its the best thing I have ever made. </ironically>

Deneidez

Educated
/me casts raise dead

This project isn't dead yet. I just haven't updated this thread uhm... lately. Anyway, you can find new updates from http://deneidez.blogspot.com/ .

The main reason why I am not developing this any faster is that I have a full time job and life. If I just had one million... (euros that is)

Angelo85

Arcane
Patron
Nice to see that you keep at it and actually are making progress.
That first triangle or in this case cube is a vital milestone to achieve in the development cycle :salute:

Deneidez

Educated
Oh boy, more than 2800 views already. Well, have a nice image.

What is happening in that image? First of all it is using texture, which have only two colors(black and white) and it takes whole screen. Where do those shades come from then? They are from light as lights are enabled. So far everything from legacy code is working. I haven't enabled shadows yet, because there are no models to see do they actually work.

Deneidez

Educated
An Corp

I am back and this project has been going on. I have had less time for my project(s), because of my job, but still I am trying to do something every week. I have been thinking adding one more mode for game. In that mode player could rule over 'his' village, town etc.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom