Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Information Torment: Tides of Numenera Website Launched, InXile Asks for Feedback on Pledge Rewards

Discussion in 'RPG Codex News & Content Comments' started by Crooked Bee, Feb 20, 2013.

1. Cosmo Savant

Cosmo
    Project: Eternity
    And maybe also some angry but naive basement dwellers that fail to grasp a simple truth : a producer's responsibility is to be pragmatic and find money, not to tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth.
  2. Chateaubryan Scholar

Chateaubryan
    As a matter of fact, I do think ToN may deliver to some extent : after all Fargo's been rounding up some writers to do the shit right and seems to be genuinely preoccupied by the oldfag's way of life. But there is a clear distinction between the motivation to do "something new" for the sake of it - in the case of the original Torment - and picking up a hype to associate himself to a title he didn't work on. It is a choice made out of pure opportunism and not by any kind of affection to the genre (metaphysical wanking with a touch of teenager pathos, all intertwined with long-ass impressionist descriptions), thing he could have demonstrated in the past but didn't. My beef (and since it is a purely idealistic one, you're free to raise brows, scoff and troll) is that the basic motivation behind it is the same that bigass publisher's : to re-use existing IP because it sells.

So yes, Torment has become a buzzword and since it pisses me off so much I'm writing - not one but TWO - posts about it, I'm probably in the middle of some kind of hipster crisis.

Infinitron
    Like marketing did great for PS:T ?
    I'm ready to admit some games need marketing - now - but in what measure exactly is this kind of marketing needed ? How the hell did we choose which game to buy when the only thing we had at the time was some paper magazine reviews ? And what the hell is happening with those fucking indie games ? And why the fuck am I picking this marketing matter up when my initial remark was about opportunism ?
  3. Infinitron RPG Codex Staff Patron

Infinitron
    Codex 2012 Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    PS:T had shit marketing and sold poorly.

Even if that's true, who cares? Like you said, he's not making the game, he just assembled the team and is letting them do their thing.

I'm also not sure if the motivations behind the original Torment were really that altruistic, as far as Interplay management was concerned.
    Cosmo Brofists this.
  4. Cosmo Savant

Cosmo
    This.
  5. Surf Solar cannot into womynz

Surf Solar
    This. He does nothing ese than say, Todd Howard. Yet, for sone reason the latter gets ridiculed for narketing speech, while for Fargo it seems to be ok. Codex hipocrisy at its finest. :salute:
    Kosmonaut Brofists this.
  6. Infinitron RPG Codex Staff Patron

Infinitron
    Codex 2012 Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    For fuck's sake Solar, GET OVER THE 3D THING ALREADY

You'd be sucking Fargo's cock more vigorously than anybody else on this forum if he just gave you those sweet 2D backdrops you crave.
    skuphundaku Brofists this.
  7. Chateaubryan Scholar

Chateaubryan
    A producer with a consistent designer's background letting his team do the work without having anything to say ? Maybe there is something I'm missing.
  8. Surf Solar cannot into womynz

Surf Solar
    wat

Marketing speech disgusts me, doesnt matter where it comes from
    Kosmonaut Brofists this.
  9. Infinitron RPG Codex Staff Patron

Infinitron
    Brother None can tell you more.
  10. Brother None Prestigious Gentleman On the line for InXile

Brother None
    Hmmmm? Not much to add. Fargo has an extensive background as a designer but has done producer-level work for a few decades now. His style is to gather the most talented team he can, keep a fairly close eye on the process early on to ensure everything is heading in the right direction, and then slowly go more hands-off as the process continues. Initially he was going to do more design work on Wasteland 2, but the guys he gathered were doing such good work he had less to contribute, and by now is pretty hands-off on the process.

Fargo is the public face of the company but that doesn't mean he tries to do everything. For Torment, important names to know are probably Kevin Saunders, the project director (previous credits include Shattered Galaxy and NWN2: Mask of the Betrayer) and Colin McComb, the creative director (previous credits include Planescape PnP, Planescape: Torment and, uh, the Complete Book of Elves).
  11. Chateaubryan Scholar

Chateaubryan
    Thanks for taking the time to write it down when you had no obligation to. Good to know.

As I said, the game may be good and I'll be glad to buy it if it delivers but in the meantime, I'll still have my doubts and objections about how and why it is done.
    Surf Solar Brofists this.
  12. CMcC Developer

CMcC

DAMN. YOUR. SOUL.
    LundB, kentable, Western and 11 others Brofist this.
  13. Infinitron RPG Codex Staff Patron

Infinitron
  14. tuluse Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

tuluse
    Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
    Guys, you know what I really hate? When someone promises to make cRPGs in the manor I like and then asks the community for ideas about it.
  15. Lockkaliber Arbiter Patron

Lockkaliber
    Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
  16. 80Maxwell08 Learned

80Maxwell08
    So how much of the kickstarter money will go towards your therapy bill to get over that?
  17. ksaun Developer

ksaun
    $0. We cannot risk healing our creative lead's tormented soul. We might end up with Rainbow Brite RPG or something. (Though I think Fargo picked up that IP, too... hmm...)
    kentable, Western, Kosmonaut and 9 others Brofist this.
  18. janjetina Arcane

janjetina
    Torment: Tides of Numenera
    deus101, skuphundaku and hiver Brofist this.
  19. Infinitron RPG Codex Staff Patron

Infinitron
    Hi Kevin. Looks like you've been flying undercover.
  20. Lancehead Liturgist

Lancehead
  21. Infinitron RPG Codex Staff Patron

Infinitron
  22. Brzęczyszczykiewicz Savant

Brzęczyszczykiewicz
    Still waiting for confirmation e-mail.
  23. hiver Augur Dumbfuck White Knight

hiver
    It seems our Tide was the stronger.

haha!
    skuphundaku Brofists this.
  24. Adam Heine Developer

Adam Heine
    We should torment him more then. Stretch goal: At $3M, Colin has to read from the Complete Book of Elves and explain what he was thinking.
    Kosmonaut and Brother None Brofist this.
  25. hoverdog dog that is hovering

hoverdog

(buying stuff via the above links helps us pay the hosting bills)