Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Torment: Tides of Numenera released on Steam Early Access

I tried the beta on the same machine that runs Pillars really OK and got a unplayable FPS. Hope that with further development the performance will increase drastically because right now the minimum specs are way off.

Trimis de pe al meu Galaxy Nexus folosind Tapatalk

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I tried the beta on the same machine that runs Pillars really OK and got a unplayable FPS. Hope that with further development the performance will increase drastically because right now the minimum specs are way off.

Trimis de pe al meu Galaxy Nexus folosind Tapatalk
The beginning scene has an unplayable fps, the rest of it seems to be good in *most* parts.

M0RBUS

Augur
So great! Pledged on kickstarter but no beta access, don't have the game until it comes out of Early Access.

Yeah, Early Access isn't beta...

Electryon

Savant
As others have said, wouldn't touch it with a ten-foot pole and ruin anything to play anything in THIS state. Obviously it's not optimized yet, and I don't exactly run a powerhouse rig in the least....but that opening scene with the blocks has terrible FPS. Load times seem fine to me, better than Pillars even currently (referring to when you first start up the game). I'm gonna have to assume things like this are going to get ironed out, as I can run Wasteland 2 and Pillars without problem, but even calling this a beta seems generous. This seems like a glorified alpha at best....

grimace

Arcane
This seems like a glorified alpha at best....

Pre-alpha released via Steam Early Access. Shroud of the Avatar went this route.

What will the patch release schedule be? Is there a timeline on the road to 1.0?

Xzylvador

Arbiter
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I was very, very upset about missing the KS for this game due to credit card issues.
Now this sentiment has faded and been replaced with seriously considering not even buying the early-access version, instead just waiting for it to release, get its mandatory first 10 patches and then wait for some steam sales to pick it up cheap.
A very sad thing to have to say about a game I was so hopeful for and prepared to pledge quite a lot more money than I normally would spend on a game; but with the disappointment that was PoE and some of the stuff I'm reading about this game... Might even try the swedish release before spending moneyz on it.

Not sure that releasing a buggy steam-EA version (and receiving the critisism from retards that know shit about RPG's) was a very smart move when they could have instead have their QC done for free by bands of KS backers instead while getting away with it by calling it a 'reward'.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
What will the patch release schedule be? Is there a timeline on the road to 1.0?

Approximately how long will this game be in Early Access?

“A huge reason our previous Early Access title, Wasteland 2, was such a success was that we listened intently to community feedback and adjusted large sections of our design in response. Thus, we try to remain as flexible with our production scheduling as possible in order to ensure we release a game worthy of your patience and support. That said, we’re as anxious as anyone to release the final version.”

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Strange that they even released it as Early Access, are these money problems ? I'm pretty sure they don't need Steam shitlords as testers at this stage - and negative fallout from this isn't worth it.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
No stranger than Wasteland 2's release.

Actual Steam reviews were pretty positive last I looked.

Xzylvador

Arbiter
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Still, releasing it as EA now feels more like "Oh noez! We mismanaged the development and urgently need cash to rush the final stretch of development so we can release a semi-finished mediocre RPG." as compared to a closed KS-backer beta which would have felt more like "We're ready to show what we've accomplished and need feedback to squash the last bugs out of this masterpiece."

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Still, releasing it as EA now feels more like "Oh noez! We mismanaged the development and urgently need cash to rush the final stretch of development so we can release a semi-finished mediocre RPG." as compared to a closed KS-backer beta which would have felt more like "We're ready to show what we've accomplished and need feedback to squash the last bugs out of this masterpiece."

To me it sounds more like "why not?". Free money and advertisement, especially if they show steady improvement with patches.

Weasel
It was always clear that beta access was an add-on below certain tiers so some of the complaints are overblown. But it's interesting to see Fargo talk about DOS as an example of successful early access development as they refunded those who'd paid extra for beta access and threw it open to all backers. Steam Early access has changed the landscape when it comes to beta releases IMO.

At least Larian's approach avoids the slightly awkward situation of Fargo posting about how they're doing Early Access because of the 'great feedback' while a lot of their backers aren't able to access the beta.

Xzylvador

Arbiter
Patron
So you want them to do what PoE did. :smug:

I -want- them to make the most awesomest RPG since <insert personal top 1-3 RPG here>.
Now, I no longer expect or hope for this and would already be positively surprised if they come out with something more-than-slightly-better than PoE or WL2; which to me is setting the bar far too low but probably the only way to possibly avoid utter disappointment.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
But it's interesting to see Fargo talk about DOS as an example of successful early access development as they refunded those who'd paid extra for beta access and threw it open to all backers.

It's likely that a major reason Larian did that is because the amount of alpha/beta backers they had was minuscule and they realized they weren't going to get enough feedback. It's easy to forget that D:OS was actually a pretty minor league Kickstarter in its time.

I -want- them to make the most awesomest RPG since <insert personal top 1-3 RPG here>.

What sort of RPG do you consider a top 1-3 RPG?

For the type of Codexer who desires an Age of Decadence-type experience (tons of choice and consequence, no filler combat), I see little not to like here.

Last edited:

MrMarbles

Cipher
For the type of Codexer who desires an Age of Decadence-type experience (tons of choice and consequence, no filler combat), I see very little not to like here.

Except in order for the AoD-type experience to work (which it really did), it has to be done intelligently, you have to avoid over-exposition to let the players form their own conclusions, and you have to pay mucho attention to the fine points of the setting so that the lack of combat doesn't cause loss of interest. These things could definitely be there in the final release, but as some have pointed out in other threads the first impression doesn't nail all those points.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Yeah, no. I instantly lost any interestt in AoD. This game certainly feels way better.

Mustawd

For the type of Codexer who desires an Age of Decadence-type experience (tons of choice and consequence, no filler combat), I see very little not to like here.

Except in order for the AoD-type experience to work (which it really did), it has to be done intelligently, you have to avoid over-exposition to let the players form their own conclusions, and you have to pay mucho attention to the fine points of the setting so that the lack of combat doesn't cause loss of interest. These things could definitely be there in the final release, but as some have pointed out in other threads the first impression doesn't nail all those points.

Over-exposition is not a game killer. I mean look at the LOTR novels. Am I right mindx2?

Last edited by a moderator:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Yeah, if what you're saying is "the entire gameplay experience doesn't work because the opening has too exposition", then I'm not convinced. It's a local problem. Some people hate BG2's opening dungeon, but few would say that it has an overriding impact on the entire game.

The opening ends, you go out into Sagus Cliffs and there's a bunch of cool stuff and no filler combat. Don't miss the forest for the trees.

Xzylvador

Arbiter
Patron

What sort of RPG do you consider a top 1-3 RPG?

I feel pretty good with the 'dex's top 3, really. And this game IS supposedly a successor to PS:T, no? Though I highly doubt anyone here is naive faithful enough to expect this one to reach that level.
For more recent RPG's, I really liked D:OS combat (minus repeatativity), Underrail core system/character development, exploration and combat and AoD for its C&C despite utterly sucking at actually playing it. Having trouble getting into AoD's atmosphere while to me Underrail felt very immersive, this seems opposite to the majority of people though, might be I'm just more drawn to this kind of setting. But to me personally, TW3 was actually the most 'immersive'/atmospheric game since Bloodlines, Arcanum or FO2, whichever floats your boat.

I easily shift between combat-, exploration-, or story-fagottry depending on what game I'm playing and would be positively surprised -but after WL2 or PoE do not expect- if this scores excellent on even any one of these fields.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom