Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Torment: Tides of Numenera Beta Footage with Colin McComb at Eurogamer

Tito Anic

Arcane
Shitposter
Judging by video, art director chose very forgetable color palette: it lacks enough contrast; the world looks to sterile because of not enough detail imo. As for now i am not convinced i will be buying new pc to play this game (system requirements are also to steep). PT, as a whole, looks more fresh than this one.

Also i am a little bit disappointed by a quality of products bringed to us by "old school" rpg priests ...W2, PoE - doesnt impress me at all. They are good for what it is - not more. On the other side, i am happy that Stygian Software and Iron Tower Studio - nailed it.

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
Judging by video, art director chose very forgetable color palette: it lacks enough contrast; the world looks to sterile because of not enough detail imo. As for now i am not convinced i will be buying new pc to play this game (system requirements are also to steep). PT, as a whole, looks more fresh than this one.

Also i am a little bit disappointed by a quality of products bringed to us by "old school" rpg priests ...W2, PoE - doesnt impress me at all. They are good for what it is - not more. On the other side, i am happy that Stygian Software and Iron Tower Studio - nailed it.

tumblr_miw05dry7X1qcsac2o5_r2_250.gif

Tito Anic

Arcane
Shitposter
They did? They have some other games than a mediocre Fallout homage and a CYOA?

My point is: i spent alot of hours with Planescape Torment i love it because it has original setting, interesting story, fitting music and art which helps to create atmosphere of strange world full of taboo and awkwardness (death cult, marginalised inhabitants). Torment:ToN is positioning itself like spiritual successor, right? But in this video i did not see and feel the mood of PT. Keeping in mind the calibre of T:ToN creators that made me worried. I hope i made it clear now.

They did? They have some other games than a mediocre Fallout homage and a CYOA?

My point is: i spent alot of hours with Planescape Torment i love it because it has original setting, interesting story, fitting music and art which helps to create atmosphere of strange world full of taboo and awkwardness (death cult, marginalised inhabitants). Torment:ToN is positioning itself like spiritual successor, right? But in this video i did not see and feel the mood of PT. Keeping in mind the calibre of T:ToN creators that made me worried. I hope i made it clear now.

Than you can rest assured.

I played the BETA for about 8 hours.

There's some crazy shit going on in there.

So, if you want mood, craziness, originality and mystery - this game is for you.

Don't let the bright lights confuse you... they are perfectly fitting to a far future earth.

This game is going to be AMAZING (if the guys from INXILE will keep the good work).

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
i saw the video and there wasn't a single combat. wtf i don't want visual novel + shitty frames per second bleh

i saw the video and there wasn't a single combat. wtf i don't want visual novel + shitty frames per second bleh

I only encountered one crisis in the BETA.

And, even though i'm not Diablo biggest fan, there is a reason to try and become the biggest bad ass around!

Fights are fun in video games.

I hope InXile put enough crisis-es over the game - so it won't feel too "empty"...

ArchAngel

Arcane

And, even though i'm not Diablo biggest fan, there is a reason to try and become the biggest bad ass around!

I hope InXile put enough crisis-es over the game - so it won't feel too "empty"...
It has been known for a while now that the game has 13 crisis. They could always surprise us with more than that.

It has been known for a while now that the game has 13 crisis. They could always surprise us with more than that.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but the crisis is a fight with more options than just fighting... (try to talk your enemy out of the fight - for example)
So, beside those 13 crisis-es, the game includes more "simple" fights.

no!?!?!?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yes, there are an unknown number of additional fights in the game. But none of them are supposed to be trash mobs. It's more like if you really want to kick some guy's ass you can initiate combat even if there's no elaborate Crisis scenario involved.

Prime Junta

Yes, there are an unknown number of additional fights in the game. But none of them are supposed to be trash mobs. It's more like if you really want to kick some guy's ass you can initiate combat even if there's no elaborate Crisis scenario involved.

You can't initiate combat except through dialog. Even the additional fights can only be started if the authors allowed for them.

(I'm not sure which of the fights in the beta count as full crises, and which are additional fights. A couple of them are so simple and straightforward that I'm kinda bummed if they count.)

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yes, I understand that.

In the video, Colin attempts to enumerate the fights in the beta, but he does not distinguish between Crises and non-Crises. You would think that the distinction is obvious, though, with Crises taking place on a distinct "battle arena".

sstacks

Arcane
Enjoyed the footage and commentary, however I'd like to see some combat. I'm going to check out the IGN video as well, assuming there's some there :)

Charles-cgr

OlderBytes
Developer
Project: Eternity
There's a possible battle just before the point where the video starts. It's the only one I've run into so far, but then again performance issues made me put it aside for now. I enjoyed that fight though. Tactical placement, teleporting, invisibility, ...

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
Setting looks refreshingly alien and original. Starting to grow extremely tired of Tolkienesque derived worlds.

Enjoyed the footage and commentary, however I'd like to see some combat. I'm going to check out the IGN video as well, assuming there's some there :)
There are tons of gameplay videos of the beta in youtube.

Just write "Torment beta" in the search.

I watched some of them... And they are great.
By the way, watching those videos will show you how much C&C they put in the game.

GrimoireFTW

Learned
so there are 13 combat encounters in the ENTIRE game? glad I didn't back this pile of shite

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom