Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Torment: Tides of Numenera announced for PS4 and Xbox One, gets new trailer

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
There are many things to worry about aside from the 4 companions and the console version. Could be no companions for all I care, wouldn't change a thing about the concerns for me.

Mostly, I think nobody cares about the fact that it's gonna be on consoles, it's rather what comes with that fact that is worrying. And it's not only about console limitations - which do abound, and might in fact change how the game is designed since player input has to fit a controller - but it's also that with hunting for the console market, inXile is going for mass appeal, or at least wider appeal, and then you look at the anime-insipred art and effects, you can feel the whole of the design being seeped in that shit, oriented towards that money goal. It looks bad, man.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
You guys are assuming the console porting is taking away from the actual PC development and vision, pretty sure it won't. In any case, we won't know until we get confirmation from Brother None and Seas. And the healthbar changes and whatnot small changes, it not a sign of console-design, sorry.

To me, the beta largely plays like a PC game. If they want to port it to console with minimum effort and without anything taking away from the PC version and vision? so be it.

Soren Kierkegaard once said something to the effect of:

"If I had a genie who after a long day gave me all of favorite wines deliciously mixed together after I asked him for a glass of water, I would dismiss him from service until he learned that enjoyment consists not getting what I want but in getting things my way."

Real-time is a glass of water and turn-based is all of my favorite wines perfectly blended, but my way was a Infinity Engine, Planescape revival and only one of these systems existed in the Infinity Engine.

The game is a dual release, so every design decision affected the PC version.

So many words to say what is practically "I'm butthurt because PST was RTwP and TToN is not".

It is truly something to see someone on the Codex say TB is a sign of consolization.

Darkzone

Arcane
I'm going to ignore your other question because I just answered it and I'm not going to repeat myself.
So TB combat and a 4 man party are the big boohoo effects of "consolization" that everyone is butthurt about? Good to know.
As long as you don't see Chocobos in the game, you cannot consider this as a sign for "consolization".

It is when you are designing your game for TABLETS is when you know you have reached FULL decline.... (See Shadowrun).
But it's a fucking CYOA lmao
Tablet release would at least force them to optimize the game further so it doesn't set gpus on fire like it does. Also the main problem of Shadowrun relating to tablet release was the UI, and InXile UI design is already terrible anyway.
Sad but true and also very funny.

Last edited:

---

Arcane
From Kickstarter page:

What about other platforms (OUYA, Steambox, tablets, consoles, etc.)?

This Kickstarter is focused on making the best computer RPG possible and we are focused on PC (Windows), Mac, and Linux. Other platforms may be possible at a later time, but all funds from this Kickstarter will focus on making the best computer gaming experience possible.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Which might be true for all we know. They admittedly said that they consider console a possibility and thus is considered. The money for the console port which usually come from PC sale might be supplied by Techland.

Weasel
You guys are assuming the console porting is taking away from the actual PC development and vision, pretty sure it won't. In any case, we won't know until we get confirmation from Brother None and Seas.

To be fair, if they did respond they'd have to give the company line - it's their job.

Perhaps Inxile haven't considered consoles at any point during decisions related to design, content or timetable - it's just fortunate that the end result works well on consoles without the compromises we've seen in other multi-platform releases, and lucky that they'll be able to manage one of those simultaneous releases the console guys prefer. Perhaps those who've become wary of this sort of thing should set aside the bitter experience of many years. I guess we'll find out soon... and maybe one day we'll learn more about what was cut from the game.

Israfael

Arcane
300px-Omega_Supreme_tears_up.jpg

Assesment: betrayal, Mode: full butthurt. Omega Prime: terminates.

"No consoles", my ass, i feel somewhat scared about what will be happening after this. Wasteland TPS by brian and co? Torment MOBA shooter?

Black

Arcane
Ugh, not feeling that well suddenly.
Remember when red boots dlc was a good prank?
Yeah, hahaha... hah.

Last edited:
Funny thing is, TB games actually control better with a touchscreen than with a traditional controller...

Left/Right click enrichment disagrees. A game designed around single taps is bound to be more basic and simpler. And double/long taps just don't do it.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
The discussion about the ways the console release could have affected the development is completely beside the point. It’s a matter of principle. They took backers’ money under the promise that they would be putting all their efforts in making an exclusive PC game, but that was a lie. Fargo was just using the “PC master race” narrative to take your money. If someone can't see what is wrong with that because he is too blind by fanboysm and emotional investement, he deserves all the overpriced shitty kickstarter games in the world.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
Console porting always get in the way of cRPGs quality. Why should we think this time would be any different? “Because it’s a Fargo’s game and InXile rocks!”

The delays, the healtbars and the fact that is being simultaneously released for consoles are obvious indicators that they were considering consoles early on. “But the Kickstarter page says something different. How dare you doubt Fargo’s integrity!”

If you need to sell ice to an Eskimo, call Fargo. He can fool you in invest in something you don’t want and still make you defend him from critics later on.

0b217a1.jpg

DosBuster

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex USB, 2014
The discussion about the ways the console release could have affected the development is completely beside the point. It’s a matter of principle. They took backers’ money under the promise that they would be putting all their efforts in making an exclusive PC game, but that was a lie. Fargo was just using the “PC master race” narrative to take your money. If someone can't see what is wrong with that because they are too blind by fanboysm and emotional investement they deserve more promises from snake oil salesmen like Fargo.

Except the money used for development of the console port was given to them by Techland.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
Except the money used for development of the console port was given to them by Techland.

Of course, because they said so. Why would we doubt Fargo's word? He didn't nutin. He is a CEO gamer, guys. He is just like us. Look at his angelic face.

TKrgxXb.jpg

How could someone not believe in him?

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane
You guys are assuming the console porting is taking away from the actual PC development and vision, pretty sure it won't. In any case, we won't know until we get confirmation from Brother None and Seas. And the healthbar changes and whatnot small changes, it not a sign of console-design, sorry.

To me, the beta largely plays like a PC game. If they want to port it to console with minimum effort and without anything taking away from the PC version and vision? so be it.
Except that health change is not minor. It is as "minor" as SCL replacing spell slots and resting with cooldowns.

Archibald

Arcane
Yeah, I'm a bit baffled by reactions here considering that we got a working build available. Release, relatively speaking, isn't far away and its very unlikely that they'll do any significant design changes at this point.

ArchAngel

Arcane
As for these news, my hopes now turn to BT4.
I never played BT games and it is not using a existing rules system so I got zero expectation. It has most chance to be a good game for me with no baggage to bring it down.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
As for these news, my hopes now turn to BT4.
I never played BT games and it is not using a existing rules system so I got zero expectation. It has most chance to be a good game for me with no baggage to bring it down.

That's very likely to be multiplatform as well though. Much easier to adapt than an isometric game, and with less text too.

Somewhat perversely, micro-intensive RTwP has become the best defense against consolization

Black

Arcane
You guys are assuming the console porting is taking away from the actual PC development and vision, pretty sure it won't.
How many times devs have proven this to be a great cause for worry?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom