Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Torment: Tides of Numenera announced for PS4 and Xbox One, gets new trailer

Thonius

Arcane
I don’t think it has to do with being conformist or not, but with the fact that some people can devote their entire lives to a passion that also happens to be their professions. But most people don’t have that, even if they like what they do. They lose their motivation and their touch when they release they have nothing to prove to anyone.

Nah, I think it is because everything is a pyramid. Just think of books, how many millions of books have been written and only a few are worth reading.
Correct word is business. And its kills creativity btw.
Example :Some kids thought how cool it will be to work as a game devs - to do nothing but eat pizza and play games! But pretty soon reality sucks their souls out. I mean you have to chose profession quite early on in life. You spent years to get to a development probably took loan to go to college but then you realize that you kinda suck at it but monies are good so you decide to stay and after some time you make fallot 3.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
Nah, I think it is because everything is a pyramid. Just think of books, how many millions of books have been written and only a few are worth reading.

To insist on your analogy, the point is that we have some sort of character trait that separates the few writers that have more than one good book in them from the rest. It’s something more akin to moral compromise and endurance than talent.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
One important point is that young guys are what brought us the endless EA queues, because they have no plan, do too much in some areas while neglecting others, or plainly have no discipline.

The old guys at least finished their projects.

Burning Bridges

To insist on your analogy, the point is that we have some sort of character trait that separates the few writers that have more than one good book in them from the rest. It’s something more akin to moral compromise and endurance than talent.

You lost me. The reality in kickstarters is that we mostly get the bottom half of the pyramid.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Nobody said he's worth hundreds of millions, but that villa alone is worth at least $20-30 million.

You would be mistaken, all the estimates I see on the internet value it at at 6-13 million (I imagine realistically it'd be somewhere in the middle), annual tax around $80,000-85,000. You'll have to google it yourself because even though it's very easily publicly available it'd be inappropriate to post his address here imo. :M
From a quick look at Sotheby's: his seems to be of this caliber, and that's $20 million in Newport Beach.
This one is $13 million, but nowhere near as big or fancy as the one in the video (although it's seaside).

It all depends on the ZIP code, of course, but 6-13 million seems a tier below.
Only money launderers pay cash for a house. It's quite possible to have net worth far less than your home.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Well, yes and no. For example it is said that mathematics is a young men's game, and the same is said about chess. But at the same time some of the greatest mathematicians and chess players defied that rule, and were at the top of their game even at high age. Often contributing new things in meta areas that were not well understood before. The advantage that old men have is that they have many blueprints in their head, their disadvantage is of course motivation and raw power, and also the stupidity to try something radical, but if they have retained enough of that they will do amazing stuff, and they can do it very directly and quick.
No, I'm telling different thing.
You talk about things that related on some brain functions, like mathematics or chess or calculating numbers without calculator.
But game development has nothing with it, because major obstacles developers can meet on their way are lust for money.
Let's imagine we have developer A who is all amazing at creating games, and who want money. He goes directly in MMO-business den or mobile-shame garbage, and creates nothing.
And we have developer B who want to create actual games, who eat instant noodles only but don't care about main-shitstream games at all.
Obviously only B-type will create something worthwhile.

Burning Bridges

You should understand one thing about people.
When they are young - they are rebellious and tend to be nonconformists. They are maximalists./QUOTE]

I think the misconception is that you think maximalism is automatically a good thing. But it is not, realism beats it every time. If you don't know what I mean just look at the endless list of unfinished games with astronomic feature lists, whereas relatively simpler games with very good mechanics bring us most of the fun (not least because they get finished)

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
One important point is that young guys are what brought us the endless EA queues, because they have no plan, do too much in some areas while neglecting others, or plainly have no discipline.
Young guys are the one who bring AoD, Underrail, SitS.

Older guys - they bring... um... well, the only worthwhile thing they bring is SR Dragonfall.
Other is a lesser tier high hyped games, they are partilally good, fun, but it was another league.

Burning Bridges

This is way offtopic now, but let me just say some things from the Roman army.
The young ones were used as cannon fodder, but only for a brief time. The middle rank were the strongmen between 25 and 35. And the most reliable soldier was ca 35-40 years old. Also think of Napoleon's Old Guard, who were never defeated before Waterloo.
Now if you also think of officers, the good years begin only at 40 and go up to 60, and sometimes to the very end.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
You lost me. The reality in kickstarters is that we mostly get the bottom half of the pyramid.

Fact one: some developers involved in these kickstarters did amazing things in the olden days, for instance, Tin Cain.

Fact two: the kickstarters in which they were involved were bad games.

One way to make these two facts compatible is based on developers’ characters. Their games were bad because they changed for worse. They are burnout because they don’t have what it takes to devote their lives to this. That was to be expected because only a few have this commitment to excellence throughout their entire lives.

Well, yes and no. For example it is said that mathematics is a young men's game, and the same is said about chess. But at the same time some of the greatest mathematicians and chess players defied that rule, and were at the top of their game even at high age. Often contributing new things in meta areas that were not well understood before. The advantage that old men have is that they have many blueprints in their head, their disadvantage is of course motivation and raw power, and also the stupidity to try something radical, but if they have retained enough of that they will do amazing stuff, and they can do it very directly and quick.

Yeah, that age thing is a myth to justify laziness, lack of focus or arrogance. Unless you are completely senile, you should be able to make things better, not worse. Andrew Willes proved Fermat’s Last Theorem with 42. The age is only relevant to athletes, etc.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Gamedev is not an army, and not a battlefield, that's all I can say.
I see nothing veterans were delivering, nothing that can be compaired with Underrail, AoD and team of two from Whalenough Studios.
If I had million USD, I would divided it on 3 parts with favour toward WS (because they need it more than other), and I would be sure that my personal game future would be secured.

Last edited:

Burning Bridges

Yeah, there's way too much personality cult these days. As in most of the games I play these days I dont even know who made them (lazy).

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Unless you are completely senile, you should be able to make things better, not worse.
Lol why are you don't understand such fucking simple thing?
The did BETTER for THEIR OWN GOALS to do more MONEY-MAKING GAME.
They DON'T FUCKING NEED to do hardcore games, they did it BEFORE and those TIMES ARE GONE, they NEED SECURED OLD AGE.
This is so simple, urghh...

Burning Bridges

Gamedev is not an army, and not a battlefield, that's all I can say.

It of course pertains to everything in life. War is reality, and everything that governs there governs in all others aspects of life.

I see nothing veterans were delivering, nothing that can be compaired with underrail, AoD and team of two from Whalenough Studios.
If I had million USD, I would divided it on 3 parts with favour toward WS (because the need it more than other), and I would be sure that my personal game future wpould be secured.

Everyone says that when they start, and some years later they have had their first painful lessons.

Burning Bridges

Unless you are completely senile, you should be able to make things better, not worse.
Lol why are you don't understand such fucking simple thing?
The did BETTER for THEIR OWN GOALS to do more MONEY-MAKING GAME.
They DON'T FUCKING NEED to do hardcore games, they did it BEFORE and those TIMES ARE GONE, they NEED SECURED OLD AGE.
This is so simple, urghh...

Yah. This is simply so because it is reality. Games are business, and all people understand this after a while.

Of course you can do your opensource whatever thingy, but what people really want are projects made by big studios, with big production values.

a mod

Formlery Melanoma
Going back to my jazz analogy, what if I got 5 million dollars? First off I would not do things this way, get all the money up front with no game attached. But say I did. What do I do? I HAVE to deliver this jazz fest?

I go to the jazz hall and pick up whoever is lying around. Now first off the whole point was that jazz today sucks. SUCKS. So how is this going to help, to pick out a bunch of shitty jazz players and maybe one or two guys who were awesome....30 years ago. Sort of at random because most the best ones have their own company, many went into other stuff. Some are dead.

Now all of them will say that they love the old jazz, but they use shitty modern instruments, they have different specialties and so on. Some of which I can care a fuck less about.

Now compare that to forming a band. Well, that is a much different story. You don't jam a bunch of guys together, you slowly develop it. You usually start with some core of buddies who develop their skills together and then lineup changes require a bunch of auditions and crap, every personnel change is a big deal.

That's how it used to be for every employee, how it had to be because there was no industry. That's not even mentioning the failed D tier writers that work in games....which also have more writing than ever.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
What's this about a Codex ban?

13739638_303840013297299_510346514_n.jpg

I've written that Fargo has a trophy wife and he got upset. :M

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom