Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Torment: Tides of Numenera Alpha Systems Test Launched

Trip

Learned
Well, I'm not sure how else to say it, really. It's self-evident (and off-topic). It's well documented that constraints (be they artificial or not) activate the brain's problem-solving mode. -> Creativity. There are whole (actually working) methodologies based on that, not to mention hundreds of artists claiming that this is how *it* works.

And in that vein, maybe the Alpha Test should've tried to play around a little bit with the "You're nowhere, and you suddenly remember X" convention. At the least, make these initial memories relevant to the plot later, please?

Last edited:

Ulrox

Arbiter
Torment Tides of Numenera has plenty of constraints in the fact that they have 10% of the funding that bigger AAA game developers have, and self imposed constraints in that they want to top planescape torment in literary competence.

Athelas

Arcane
Oh, yes there is. It's called common sense.
Actually, you're falling from space and falling with any speed from such a height would kill you. Also, you're supposed to be immortal. So Trip's observation is quite apt.

Last edited:
Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
I long the day where something like Torment gets made as a FPS like Myst.
Something liek this?
ss_cab8a502be9e80573a22ad1445c7f20cd1783551.1920x1080.jpg

Darkzone

Arcane
Karwelas
Gravity is not a problem in most cases. It is the velocity resulting from the gravity or simply said the speed resulting from a fall of great heights or being in Orbit, then the drag with the resulting temperature and then the very fast stop. ;)
You have to have a certain velocity so that you are in an constant fall around the earth, and if you fall towards this gravitational well called earth you have to change the length and orientation of this vector.
The jump from 40 km height was therefore something special because the drag does not slow you down as much as you descend towards earth, because the atmospheric pressure is only going up in the lower part of the atmosphere (10km above see level):
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipe...national_Standard_Atmosphere_space_diving.svg

The Drag is proportional to the velocity of an moving object and there also the temperature at the surface of the object, but the drag slows considerably down the falling object. The terminal velocity of a human is around 56m/s, which is about ~180 km/h. This is naturally always deadly for a human if the human hits any water or earth surface. A fall from 10m height, which could cause considerate injuries to a human but is surviivable, is about 14m/s. The live and death thing lies in the question of the negative acceleration of the fall. Now the hero / in of the story seem to have a helping unknown hand in this part.
Ok i go now to sleep and if you wish further explanation then write it and i will explain this... or so.. tomorrow.

Crescent Hawk

Cipher
Yes something like Zeno clash but a more subtle surreal approach like Arzach, and more mysterious like Myst.
moebius_15.jpg

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
How unfamiliar are these two with this type of setting?

It seems I am familiar with the setting same as the authors of this game are if they also think that choosing to plummet toward the planet at even a greater speed is plain retard and you deserve a game over screen seconds within the alpha.
Guess they also thought that nanites & shits are not the answer in the face of oneself stupidity.

Also, you're supposed to be immortal
I think the immortality was canceled when the Universe decided you need to die for being too stupid for opting to dive head first toward a planet.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Playing with those sorts of expectations is the whole point of using such settings. I hope there's some traps for people that think things should be logical and respect the laws of physics too.

Trip

Learned
Also, unhinted insta-death is sort of an 80s gamebook thing. Don't see how it seriously can have a place in 2015, at the very beginning of a narratively sophisticated game. -> standing by my word they put it in as a gag. (And yes, Numenera + dreamspace where it seems all of this happens = maybe diving just won't kill you. And honestly, as Athelas said, if you fall from space, you will die, flattening yourself to slow down or not, so the other options don't make much sense either.)

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
And honestly, as Athelas said, if you fall from space, you will die, flattening yourself to slow down or not, so the other options don't make much sense either.)
There have been cases of people reaching terminal velocity and surviving after the fall. It rarely happens - you must land on some steep slope covered with lots of snow, be extremely lucky, etc, but it's doable.

Trip

Learned
Well, in this case you land on a crystal surface, if I remember correctly. Anyway, the whole free-fall episode is pretty bizarre, and not reallly in a Numenera "good weird" way.

Trip

Learned
Meaning? (Apart from the fact that quoting joining dates is something of a tic around here.)

Trip

Learned
You do know I wasn't born on the date I registered, right? :) Neither did I start reading the Codex just then. Neither did I start playing RPGs just then. Just saying.

Shadorwun: Hong Kong
It's the date of your Codex birth, and that's all that matters around here. Before that date, you were in a womb, sheltered, now you must fight for survival.

Ulrox

Arbiter
Meaning? (Apart from the fact that quoting joining dates is something of a tic around here.)

It's elitism, pure and simple. Older members believe themselves superior to newer members because they have spent more of their life on a forum arguing pointless things, instead of achieving actually important things in life. Other forum's that I have been a part of slowly tended towards elitism also. I suspect that there's a good psychological reason behind this.

Trip

Learned
Well, whatever, pondering what forum posters think of one another and why is a fool's game anyway.

Shadorwun: Hong Kong
It's elitism, pure and simple. Older members believe themselves superior to newer members because they have spent more of their life on a forum arguing pointless things, instead of achieving actually important things in life. Other forum's that I have been a part of slowly tended towards elitism also. I suspect that there's a good psychological reason behind this.

Darkzone

Arcane
Well, in this case you land on a crystal surface, if I remember correctly. Anyway, the whole free-fall episode is pretty bizarre, and not reallly in a Numenera "good weird" way.
Before you land on whatever it is, something is slowing your fall. The question is what is helping you and why it is helping you. Are you the one who is doing it? Or is it an instance like you, that came before you, that is doing it? Could is be that you have prepared this even before you existed? And that is Torment how it should be.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom