Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Torment Kickstarter Update #55: Brief Update, Nathan Long Novella Released

Unwanted

Manmower

Unwanted
Edgy
You know what the worst part is? Everyone thinks they're a fucking Einstein, trying to reinvent the wheel. Some things just work, and others don't. But no, gotta try and be an auteur, despite working for a newly-opened company with literally 0 hits to its name. Fuck, I'd tie these retards down and waterboard them for a day or two, just to drive enough common sense into their brains. And fuck Fargo, I hope he chokes on Romero's dick.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Circle-jerking aside, can someone explain to my why Fargo and his gaggle of shitstains thought they could come up with better design than in Fallout 2? Why didn't they just make a carbon copy of that game? I think the majority of WL2's detractors would've forgiven the shit-stained graphics and crappy engine if the game was, you know, FUN! Why reinvent the wheel? Are they so creatively bankrupt they can't come up with a normal storyline and fit it into a FO2-type game? That shit came out years ago, and it's STILL better by an order of magnitude than Fargo's excreted diarrhea.

EDIT: And that's saying nothing of his original pitch hinting heavily at a FO2-type experience.

They were making Wasteland 2, not not-Fallout.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
They were making Wasteland 2, not not-Fallout.
That's why it had Fallout on every paragraph of the campaign and every other update mentioned Fallout, also why every interview was about this sequel to the father of Fallout led by the guy who was also involved with Fallout with some people who also are related to Fallout, also they got Fallout's soundtrack composer!

Imagine if they had to rely on being a Wasteland sequel and not not-Fallout. We wouldn't be talking about it today I guess. But good thing they were not making not-Fallout so they don't look as bad.

Darkzone

Arcane
Ok they screwed up WL2, but that does not necessary mean that they will also blow TToN....
Fuck.. it doesn't look good also for TToN.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
I don't think they really tried to make a game different from Fallout 2 conciously. Wasteland is just a sad little design accident. Some people wrote documents, some people sat down and implemented those things.

But they did. Early on they emphasize that W2 should be different from FO, because Wasteland has its own identity. That is bullshit because Wasteland was the father of Fallout, but an inferior father at that. They decide that the game should have a shitload of trash mobs because old Wasteland has tons of fights. Who cares? More than that, they used this excuse every time they didn’t want to hear player’s demands. That is what pisses me off the most. “Please, we want perks!” This is not Fallout, is Wasteland. The way they tried to make the use of skills more balanced was horrendous. Wasteland 2 is an rushed aberration resulted from the influences of Wasteland, Fallout and modern design sensibilities like game balance.

ArchAngel

Arcane

Mustawd

Lol, yeah he acts just like hiver but like a retarded version. But he's actually Celerity's alt.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
I liked WL2, one of the few games I finished in recent years. On the other hand, I could not get into the hyped D:OS or Underrail despite trying a couple times. It's almost like people have different tastes or something.

Septaryeth

Augur
Does T:TON have more combat encounters than Planescape:Torment?

From all that's said of it, less by quite a margin. And it's going to get shit flung at it for it.

:hmmm:

Can't remember the last time there was a memorable compulsory fight in Torment.
Trias maybe?
Honestly all I remember was testing all the fancy high level spells on thugs.

Self-Ejected

an Administrator

Self-Ejected
Where expecting basics is considered perfectionism
fargofanboy.png

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
From all that's said of it, less by quite a margin. And it's going to get shit flung at it for it.
Old school RPG players will love it for sure; I was thinking about Divinity: Original Sin audience which liked the combat a lot. If devs could pull it of withl the same amount and fun combat (or close to it), the game would do well on 2 fronts.

SniperHF

Arcane
Can an actual Torment fan describe to me why much text and slow pace are considered a problem?

I dunno if I'd describe myself as a fan, but basically I don't think that's what the problem was. Well I'm sure it was to some people but those people are retarded.

The problem isn't that it's slow, it's slow and you don't really do anything. There's no exploration, it's a small map with a few highlighted items to click. There's no (or not much depending on how meta gamey you wanna get) puzzle element to the interactive objects. One of the few potentially distinguishing features of the Numenera system is all the supposedly wiz-bang items you can get but the first tutorial intro is devoid of that. It's also devoid of those set piece objects you see in the second and subsequent crises in the game.

Basically anything that can potentially be good (except writing) about Torment isn't in the intro. Even the turn based combat isn't really there because while you do get into turn based combat you are facing enemies you can't actually defeat outside of pushing an awesome button at the end of the sequence.

This reminds me that I've probably been a bit MIA at fighting the good fight on the InXile board and providing feedback compared to the WL2 days but I'm just not the biggest PS:T booster to begin with. Also I'm pretty happy with Sagus Cliffs outside of the bugs.

Kz3r0

Arcane
Lol, yeah he acts just like hiver but like a retarded version. But he's actually Celerity's alt.
Actually he is much more smarter and subtler than you think, the whole ting looks like an act to me, let's hope he improves, it's quite a bit that we aren't getting a good troll here.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
I liked WL2, one of the few games I finished in recent years. On the other hand, I could not get into the hyped D:OS or Underrail despite trying a couple times. It's almost like people have different tastes or something.

You seem to be another victim of hype, but that is no excuse to prefer W2. You have this opinion probably because you give too much importance to the developers’ pedigree. The strengths of Underrail reside in the exploration, perks, and crafting. The character system is well thought out. Nothing like this can be said about Wasteland 2. Underrail also have better art, better UI, and even better writing. The soundtrack is a tie. Wasteland 2 beats Underrail only in the reactivity department and the wider use of skill checks, but since these things are poorly implemented, that is not a big plus.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom