Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ToEE pathfinding sucks ass

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Small parts of your party get separated from it. They do not move again.
Your party can be all selected but if the distance between your main party and these laggards is enough, they don't move.
In tight parts of the map, instead of following the leader, (that is actually moving ok), faster party members are liable to take another completely different path and thus go in the opposite direction. If the detour lasts long enough, click again, and that is enough for the bug above to manifest.
Party looses selection almost randomly sometimes.

I heard it caused crashes before the C8 patch.

How can you show the paths in combat all the time instead? Don't tell me it's only if you hold and don't release the mouse.

Troika really needed 3 more talented, process aware programmers.

Murk

Arcane
Pretty much everything you said (tho I didn't have crashing issues before C8 patch, still use it tho).

I usually play with a small party so baby sitting isn't too big a deal with me, but eh.

dolio

Scholar
If you select a specific movement action from the radial menu, it will display the path information wherever you move the mouse.

Also, I believe if you hold down shift, it will show the pathing information as you move your mouse around.

Norfleet

All these flaws in pathfinding all share a common root, really: The naive implementation of an individual pathfinding algorithm that actually works fine, but without anything that exists to maintain unit coherency. It's the same problem you find in every other RTS game with many units, where if you tell all of them to move to a specific place, some of them will decide that other members of the group are blocking them and pick alternate routes, even though they should all be considered members of one larger unit, rather than individuals trying to go to arbitrary destinations.

TheLostOne

Savant
Norfleet said:
All these flaws in pathfinding all share a common root, really: The naive implementation of an individual pathfinding algorithm that actually works fine, but without anything that exists to maintain unit coherency. It's the same problem you find in every other RTS game with many units, where if you tell all of them to move to a specific place, some of them will decide that other members of the group are blocking them and pick alternate routes, even though they should all be considered members of one larger unit, rather than individuals trying to go to arbitrary destinations.

Except in ToEE, when a unit determines it's blocked, it doesn't seem to even check for an alternate path. It really is incredibly frustrating at times.

Phelot

Arcane
Pre-modded BG was more frustrating to me. Having your characters get stuck on each other and thus unable to attack and having them ALL scatter down different corridors in dungeons made me nearly destroy a keyboard or two.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom