Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tips for the REAL battle? * spoilers *

Tigranes

Arcane
ye
It's pretty free if you have good defense + some solid DR and good enough con boosted by the regen pot
did it a while ago with a sword dodger

100 DR and 11 DR and it was so obviously insufficient in terms of archers getting a lot of arrows through. And I saved on regen pot because 1hp/turn (Alch 7) is kind of meaningless, so that means you'd want 10 Alch at Maadoran too?

hivemind

100 DR and 11 DR and it was so obviously insufficient in terms of archers getting a lot of arrows through. And I saved on regen pot because 1hp/turn (Alch 7) is kind of meaningless, so that means you'd want 10 Alch at Maadoran too?
I used the 1hp a turn pot, didn't have alchemy at all. It's not meaningless, you lose 5 max hp and the fight will definitely last more than 5 turns with you being wounded
Currently a bit busy but I'll post the char sheet and inventory right before or right after beating the pass as I don't remember the exact stats but 100 defense seems like really bad actually. That's just 10 dodge with no training/con/dex bonuses which is just so terribly below what you can actually have near the end of Maadoran.

You should also consider you con value. It really should be higher than lower if you want to beat this fight safely.

Tigranes

Arcane
Ah, I see. Not even my most combat-centric characters are that one-sided, I can't help being more hybrid. 140 Defense Rating makes a huge difference from 99 in not dying to those fucking archers. I imagine with that kind of build almost every battle is trivial.

Good point about amaranthus, though. I suppose even 1HP is still a good trade.

hivemind

I imagine with that kind of build almost every battle is trivial.
Ye apart from needing to raise alchemy up lategame for unweakened Agathoth this build just cuts it's way through everything
it was just trying to see if I could kill the pass and then how high I could get the defense rating for a dodger(build in question doesn't even come close to that as of latest version)

can't wait until the final post release patch is finished and everything set in stone so I could unleash the full power of autistic number minmaxing OCD

hivemind

this build just cuts it's way through everything
actually not really true because I didn't bother trying out terminator with it as I figured I'd take too much reloading(>3) and I just couldn't have been arsed

ZagorTeNej

Arcane
Ye apart from needing to raise alchemy up lategame for unweakened Agathoth this build just cuts it's way through everything
it was just trying to see if I could kill the pass and then how high I could get the defense rating for a dodger(build in question doesn't even come close to that as of latest version)

can't wait until the final post release patch is finished and everything set in stone so I could unleash the full power of autistic number minmaxing OCD

If you don't use bomb/liquid fire spam why would you think high alchemy is so crucial against unweakened Agatoth? You can just as well use crafting (that also pays off in non-combat situations so often, there are lot of checks associated with it) and combine it with Eagle Eye from say Widowmaker (or the weaker ones you get on the IG path). Poison which is bread and butter of an Alchemy build and easily disposes of everyone else, doesn't work on him.

Gauldur's Bait

Arbiter
Just beat him for the first time.

Had 9/9/9 Str/Con/Dex, and the power armor on Horus mode (which gave me 12 total in dexterity vital for that extra % for dodging). Sword and Dodge were both maxed at 10, and I had boosted dagger for sword synergy. I had taken the regeneration potion as well.

I used the dreamweaver sword, and a neurostimulant (only had one for the fight) immediately at the start of the fight. Tactic was simple: rely on fast attacks (3 AP) to stack bleeding damage, and end each turn with stepping back one tile, which makes agatoth close the distance and lash out with a physical attack, that ends his turn. The key was to dodge his first physical attack and counter successfully, and then hit him with an "aimed:arms" with my first attack. (Yes, I save-scummed that start A LOT :oops:) What made it difficult for me was that both the regen potion and activating the power armors fourth mode drained 10hp together, leaving me with 35 hp against agatoth. Looking back, activating the fourth mode (RA, right?) was a bad move.

I had coated dreamweaver with the centipede's (the creatures' in-game name slips my mind for the moment) poison that is supposed to give 5 damage per turn, but that did not seem to have any effect. Is it intended or a bug?

Short version: RNG was on my side when it mattered, so I managed to beat him after about an hour of trying and dying. Think I managed to sneak in a least one crit as well.

This concluded my third playthrough.

Want moar. Assassin next. Fantastic game!:salute:

Last edited:

Gauldur's Bait

Arbiter
I beat him with a somewhat similar Assassin build, also with 35 HP from the armor and the regeneration potion. I had 9 dagger, 3 sword (for synergy), 8 crit strike, 10 dodge. The crucial move was to hit his head with a bola since I only had one. After that, stimulant with eagle eye+berserk potion+grindstone on the dagger for extra damage. Between the dex bonus from the armor and the AP bonus from the stimulant, I was able to close on him, perform an arterial strike or two with the dagger, inflict bleed and then back off so he used projectiles instead of the melee attack. Fight was over quite fast as he simply bled to death. :) Had to reload 4 times to get this to work, once because I tried to melee him like a dumbass, and 2 times because I missed the bola throw.

I tried with Bolas as well, but hacking away seemed to pay off more. :D Also, I misspoke in my previous post, I had 45 hp in the beginning of the fight, not 35.

Considering the build, I think 9/9/9 is quite optimal for the all out fighter build, as it will allow you to put one point in perception, which lowers your THC penalty, while still retaining a good amount of AP and damage bonus. Possibly, one could even go with 8 CON (as D_X shows it is entirely possible to beat agatoth with 35 hp) and 6 PER but it could make some early fights very difficult before you get your defensive stat boosted.

oscar

Arcane
Spent an hour fluffing about with my horde of bombs and fire vials (inevitably getting wasted by the 50% crit chance needles and mind molest) before going "hey what about those mushroom berserker potions I can make?". Won the fight second reload. Even a fast attack was doing something like 39 damage with my meteor hammer).

B3527D00402059C90BC1E5B665E53171ADB958C5

hivemind

Nice defense, but why going for critical strike after dumping both STR and PER?
uhm
I actually don't know lmao
it's either from training or I needed it for some check(but I couldn't tell you for which one)

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Does the Helm of Destiny (Darius' Helm) protect you against Agatoth's mind rape attack? Do you have to equip it/have high lore/identity it with a loremaster before you can use it against Big A?

Also

it's either from training or I needed it for some check(but I couldn't tell you for which one)

I guess you REALLY wanted that extra body count from the Daratan compound, huh? :D

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
BTW

I managed to kill canister weakened Agatoth with my dagger/dodge/CS assassin on the very first turn today. He dealt a grand total of 0 damage. Only physical attacks, no liquid fire cheese, no hellgate bomb, nothing (well, except for the obligatory eagle eye). Just STAB STAB STAB STAB STAB, and down he goes :lol:

I'm wondering if it's worth a video or not. Can't do the same to non-weakened Agatoth, obviously (tho I CAN beat him with said build).

hivemind

Nice.

How much damage in total did you do ?

I remember that I killed his pre-buff unweakened form also on the first turn doing a total of 120 dmg.

ZagorTeNej

Arcane
I uploaded the video of me murdering Agatoth in a single turn. Check it out guise:

Commissar Draco hivemind The Brazilian Slaughter Irenaeus II

(yes, I failz at jewtube. Tips for a proper upload are appreciated)

Great stuff (daggers and assassins rule), how did you get your CS rating so high (the training part)? Aside from all CS increases via checks, I know Varro and Hamza (need reputation 10 I think) can increase it by 10 each and Agatai just increased my CS skill from 3 to 4 in the latest playthrough.

ZagorTeNej

Arcane
I tested it a bit more and apparently Agatai will increase your CS skill by 1 up to level 6, if you have that much he'll increase your CS rating instead (more valuable as you can max the skill on your own and this adds to it) and everytime your combat skills increase by 1 due to experience your CS rating also raises by 1 obviously.

Holy crap! That's some hella rekting right here.
Daggers are indeed damned powerful.

Daggers are basically 3 weapons in one:

-Axes, because you'll do criticals all the time which increases damage similar to Axes passive.

-Swords because you can stack up bleeding with Arterial strikes.

-Hammers because you can lower DR with Torso Strikes.

Of course the downside is a rough early start (though it can be negated completely with 4 in Alchemy and you can get a steel dagger early) and requiring an additional combat skill to truly shine - Critical Strike. That said, CS is still useful for other chars as well, in addition to increasing critical chance for weapons it also does the same for consumables like nets and bolas which can increase their effectiveness tremendously (Al Sahir being down for 3 rounds for example).

Gotta say I really like the improvements they've made concerning daggers compared to earlier versions of the game where they just had the throwing passive (chance to bypass armor) and didn't really synergize with CS which made no sense given that you use a dagger in all CS text checks.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
Great stuff (daggers and assassins rule), how did you get your CS rating so high (the training part)? Aside from all CS increases via checks, I know Varro and Hamza (need reputation 10 I think) can increase it by 10 each and Agatai just increased my CS skill from 3 to 4 in the latest playthrough.
Agatai/Neleos can also give you +10 training if you do the aurelian spies quest after you already have 6 CS (all the Boatmen training seem to work like this. If you go to Varro with CS 7 he will increase it to 8). Tough, but doable. Also, every single character that can be murdered via [Critical Strike] in dialogue also adds to your training and great feats (like killing Legate Hagnon and his buddies without raising an alarm) give you like 3 training. The "natural" progression via bodycount will also increase CS training. Just keep on murdering people, it adds up. :P

Remember that dagger passive gives a massive boost to aimed critical strikes. I'm pretty sure that if you wanna fight Agatoth with crits, dagger is the only way. Do notice that despite having alchemy 6, it was kinda useless for the last fight, since Widowmaker now drops an Eagle Eye potion, and beserk would reduce my THC too much. So someone could optimize this build even further by removing alchemy (you can buy poison in the Maadoran Temple for those tougher encounter and the toughest encounters are poison immune anyway, so...).

ZagorTeNej

Arcane
Agatai/Neleos can also give you +10 training if you do the aurelian spies quest after you already have 6 CS (all the Boatmen training seem to work like this. If you go to Varro with CS 7 he will increase it to 8). Tough, but doable. Also, every single character that can be murdered via [Critical Strike] in dialogue also adds to your training and great feats (like killing Legate Hagnon and his buddies without raising an alarm) give you like 3 training. The "natural" progression via bodycount will also increase CS training. Just keep on murdering people, it adds up. :P

Oh yeah, forgot to add the CS text checks. Will try to maximize CS rating in my next Assassin playthrough, 6 CS is gonna be useful in fights that come after anyway. Probably gonna do my favourite Assassin build, 5 10 5 8 8 4.

Remember that dagger passive gives a massive boost to aimed critical strikes. I'm pretty sure that if you wanna fight Agatoth with crits, dagger is the only way. Do notice that despite having alchemy 6, it was kinda useless for the last fight, since Widowmaker now drops an Eagle Eye potion, and beserk would reduce my THC too much. So someone could optimize this build even further by removing alchemy (you can buy poison in the Maadoran Temple for those tougher encounter and the toughest encounters are poison immune anyway, so...).

Sure Wdiwomaker really helps in that regard but 6 alchemy can still be useful if you use bolas on Agatoth. It doesn't restrict his movement but reduces his AC tremendously (for 3 rounds on a critical strike) which makes THC a non issue.

BTW. Regarding CS while changing PA modes during Agatoth fight I noticed something strange, my CS chance increased when I used the Apis (+3 STR) mode.

This is in Horus mode (The high THC is due to using bolas on him):

screenshot_008_00000.jpg

This is in Apis Mode:

screenshot_008_00001.jpg

Is that a bug? I can't remember reading anywhere that STR affects critical chance on aimed attacks.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom