Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tim Cain marries a man and leaves Carbine Studios

circ

Arcane
Azrael the cat said:
Good news on two fronts:
- leaving Carbine creates some small chance that he may go somewhere where he can work on a decent crpg; and
:retarded: This is the same Tim Cain that thought FO3 was AWESOME. Don't hold your fucking breath.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Not sure why his being gay is a problem. Straight people have been butchering the RPG genre for a decade now.

PorkaMorka

Arcane
< Joke about the term "storyfag", fans of arcanum, fallout and VTM:B and noted homosexual Tim Cain goes here >

Esquilax

Arcane
circ said:
Azrael the cat said:
Good news on two fronts:
- leaving Carbine creates some small chance that he may go somewhere where he can work on a decent crpg; and
:retarded: This is the same Tim Cain that thought FO3 was AWESOME. Don't hold your fucking breath.

Big fucking deal. You're aware that someone who makes games/books/movies/TV shows that you don't like might also be a fan of certain shit you hate, right? I love Judas Priest, but Rob Halford has went on record as enjoying a whole bunch of bands I can't stand. Doesn't mean I'm going to stop listening to Stained Class any more. If the creator is continuing to make the sort of thing you enjoy, then throwing something silly like "YEAH WELL HE LIKED FO3 LOLOL!!" is just baseless edgy bullshit.

And besides, you really expect him to publicly bash FO3 if he truly hates it? This is the type of industry where people often end up working with one another at one point or another, so you can't just go around slamming someone else's work; you have to be diplomatic with this kind of shit. It's hilarious that people expect a fucking professional gamedev to go all skyway and start declaring that something is shit - you just can't do that sort of thing.

He mentioned in a MattChat interview that he wished that Bethesda did something else with the franchise (i.e. different factions) seeing as they set it in the East Coast instead of using caricatured versions of West Coast factions, so it's kinda unfair to say that he was absolutely crazy about FO3 and had no qualms with it.

Oh, and if you are pissed about his thoughts about FO3, check out Tim's thoughts on Oblivion being the greatest RPG of the 00's. :smug: Probably an elaborate troll, but hilarious either way.

tl;dr: Who gives a shit what he likes so long as he makes the kind of games you enjoy?

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
This certainly is weird. I never saw a picture of Tim(didn't know that Fallout icon was with his mug), let alone knew he was gay. Certainly doesn't look anything like I imagined. Had thought that he was more of a Todd Howard, skinny pale, kind of guy. Instead he reminds me of Al Lowe.

Good on him anyway.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I'm happy for him but I find the idea of a fat beardo having sex with anyone regardless of gender pretty gross. Also Cain was never that good of a designer, the stick he has up his ass about follower control did a lot of damage to Fallout, Arcanum, and ToEE even if he became more and more lenient about it as time passed. And he was the primary designer of Arcanum's shit character/combat system.

JarlFrank said:
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1196468919

On facebook, this seems to be his official profile. Then there's also a fan profile, but that's all. All other Tim or Timothy Cains are not him.

So, Drog made a fake?
Check out Drog's link in the OP, it's too elaborate to be a fake and both Annie and Avellone are on his friends list.

Kaanyrvhok

Arbiter
Zed said:
I hope the power of homo grants him the courage to take up singleplayer RPG development again. Maybe he'll do some sort of Double Bear thing with that Land fellow. Double Bear would actually be a pretty fucking good name for them, too bad it's taken.

You cracked me up with that one. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
circ said:
This is the same Tim Cain that thought FO3 was AWESOME. Don't hold your fucking breath.

Apparently you never watched the video where he made all the comments about Fallout 3.

That was the most fucking brilliant trolling I have ever seen. His facial expressions were priceless.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
So can anyone actually confirm this? I don't care for his sexual life, but him not working on some MMO shit anymore for sure is good news.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I didn't know Tim was gay. :retarded: Fortunately he is not my chosen RPG God. Do you know who is?

:mca: And he is not gay. :smug:

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
You guys do realize that this Robert Land is Senior Community manager at those Carbine Studios? I smell hoax. :P

Esquilax said:
circ said:
Azrael the cat said:
Good news on two fronts:

Big fucking deal. You're aware that someone who makes games/books/movies/TV shows that you don't like might also be a fan of certain shit you hate, right? I love Judas Priest, but Rob Halford has went on record as enjoying a whole bunch of bands I can't stand. Doesn't mean I'm going to stop listening to Stained Class any more. If the creator is continuing to make the sort of thing you enjoy, then throwing something silly like "YEAH WELL HE LIKED FO3 LOLOL!!" is just baseless edgy bullshit.

And besides, you really expect him to publicly bash FO3 if he truly hates it? This is the type of industry where people often end up working with one another at one point or another, so you can't just go around slamming someone else's work; you have to be diplomatic with this kind of shit. It's hilarious that people expect a fucking professional gamedev to go all skyway and start declaring that something is shit - you just can't do that sort of thing.

He mentioned in a MattChat interview that he wished that Bethesda did something else with the franchise (i.e. different factions) seeing as they set it in the East Coast instead of using caricatured versions of West Coast factions, so it's kinda unfair to say that he was absolutely crazy about FO3 and had no qualms with it.

Oh, and if you are pissed about his thoughts about FO3, check out Tim's thoughts on Oblivion being the greatest RPG of the 00's. :smug: Probably an elaborate troll, but hilarious either way.

tl;dr: Who gives a shit what he likes so long as he makes the kind of games you enjoy?

This. Also, as I've said before, folks in artistic industries often like products that are at very different ends of the market to their own. A game developer rating another developer's work is coming from a very different perspective than your average punter. Whether it's music, film, games, books etc, fans always expect artists to only like work that comes from the same genre as their own. That's because the fans often tend to identify strongly with a particular end of the market - so the punk rock fan gets shirty because their old punk idol likes pop songs, whereas the musicians themselves just like MUSIC, and hence you get a seminal punk band like the Ramones starting out as a Beach Boys cover band.

Cain would look at FO3 and rate it by the things that he hasn't done himself. He'd be more critical of a game that was really similar to FO1-2, because he'd see all the things that his games did better than it. Folks are usually most critical of their own work, and by assocation, work that is very similar to their own work. Looking at FO3, Cain would probably be blown away by how commercially successful they made the setting and how large the world was. More importantly, he'd have been fascinated with the process of transforming an isometric turn-based game into 3D. Again, different perspective to us - as fans, we look at the change and hate it because it leads to crap gameplay. As a developer, he'd look at the change and be impressed because of how drastically they've been able to reshape the thing. Not to mention, Cain probably couldn't make a game like FO3 - he's never made an openworld FPS-rpg, and as a developer he'd possibly be more interested in learning the things he hasn't been able to do before, than in seeing a mere clone of a game he did 10 years ago.

I'm with you that I'd have preferred a clone of the original Fallouts, but I don't expect the guys who made those games to think the same. If you expect your preferred artists/designers to share your taste, be prepared for constant disappointment.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4XVW6qc ... age#t=112s

lol

"They did a good job of understanding what the universe was like...and then setting a different kind of game with it."

"I have been very critical of [Fallout 3's] humour, but since humour is subject and personal, I have kept all criticisms of Fallout 3's humour to myself."

"What Bethesda did was they owned it. I mean, they do own Fallout. But they owned Fallout, in the sense that Fallout 3 fits with Oblivion and their line of products. Where, I don't think Fallout would have fit with their line well."

He had a very sneaky expression there.

Baddygoal

Educated
Clockwork Knight said:
Alex said:
@Jaesun

The profile Drog posted has more than 500 friends. If he faked it, he sure took his time.

Drog has the willpower and dedication of an egyptian slave building a pyramid...all by himself.
That's probably how many alts he has hehehe

VentilatorOfDoom said:
Word is, he's going to do Arcanum 2 now using the 3.5 OGL. Think Arcanum with ToEE combat.
FAP/10?

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Azrael the cat said:
This. Also, as I've said before, folks in artistic industries often like products that are at very different ends of the market to their own. A game developer rating another developer's work is coming from a very different perspective than your average punter. Whether it's music, film, games, books etc, fans always expect artists to only like work that comes from the same genre as their own. That's because the fans often tend to identify strongly with a particular end of the market - so the punk rock fan gets shirty because their old punk idol likes pop songs, whereas the musicians themselves just like MUSIC, and hence you get a seminal punk band like the Ramones starting out as a Beach Boys cover band.

Cain would look at FO3 and rate it by the things that he hasn't done himself. He'd be more critical of a game that was really similar to FO1-2, because he'd see all the things that his games did better than it. Folks are usually most critical of their own work, and by assocation, work that is very similar to their own work. Looking at FO3, Cain would probably be blown away by how commercially successful they made the setting and how large the world was. More importantly, he'd have been fascinated with the process of transforming an isometric turn-based game into 3D. Again, different perspective to us - as fans, we look at the change and hate it because it leads to crap gameplay. As a developer, he'd look at the change and be impressed because of how drastically they've been able to reshape the thing. Not to mention, Cain probably couldn't make a game like FO3 - he's never made an openworld FPS-rpg, and as a developer he'd possibly be more interested in learning the things he hasn't been able to do before, than in seeing a mere clone of a game he did 10 years ago.

I'm with you that I'd have preferred a clone of the original Fallouts, but I don't expect the guys who made those games to think the same. If you expect your preferred artists/designers to share your taste, be prepared for constant disappointment.
:thumbsup:

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Baddygoal said:
Clockwork Knight said:
Alex said:
@Jaesun

The profile Drog posted has more than 500 friends. If he faked it, he sure took his time.

Drog has the willpower and dedication of an egyptian slave building a pyramid...all by himself.
That's probably how many alts he has hehehe

:lol: All Tim's Friends are Drog Alts.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom