Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Thoughts after playing Doom 1 and 2

Lord Rocket

Erudite
Multi-headed Cow said:
What's the cause of the drama?

Fanbois vs. playa hatas

Basically the project leader for Stronghold is a guy called Tormentor667. While most Doom mappers are pretty low key T667 loves a bit of hype (you know how modders are). Anyway some people love his maps, some people really don't, and naturally this leads to friction.

Multi-headed Cow

Seems like a silly reason to have drama.

Played through the tier 1 maps and I'm losing interest. It's not exactly bad, and probably better in multiplayer, but in singleplayer, ehh. Had a bunch of suicide bombers rush me with the Serious Sam screaming dudes sound and that's always fun, though.

Lord Rocket

Erudite
Isn't a 'silly reason' a necessary prerequisite for internet drama?

Actually there was something about bugs and the team's refusal to release a newer version as well, that seemed a little more sensible.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS PLAYING QUAKE AND DOOM VERSUS THE MORE NEW EQUIVALENT SEROUS SAM I LIKE THE SHORTER MISSIONS OF DOOM AND QUAKE

THGAT STYLE OF GAMEPLAY SEEMS BETTER SUITE FOR SHORT CHINKS OF TIME I HAVE ALWAYS PREFFERED A COMPRTESSED MISSION APPROACH TO SHOOTER GAMES

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Serious Sam is not like Doom. Painkiller and Serious Sam belong in their own category, I think of them as arena shooters. You walk into one area, enemies spawn until you strafe them to death, then you move into the next area. Doom isn't really like that.

Luzur

Good Sir
Doom is more like facing 2-3 Cyberdemons with just 2 shells of shotgun ammo left.

Serious Sam is holding the trigger pressed until the end of the game.

Rohit_N

Prophet
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
DraQ said:
I have found an aspect in which Doomsday completely pwns GZDoom - have you seen how weapons are drawn in GZDoom? Try punching something with fighter in Hexen running under GZDoom in widescreen to be amused.
:smug:
How does Doomsday do it better? Surely it doesn't have redrawn sprites for widescreen.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
DraQ said:
I have found an aspect in which Doomsday completely pwns GZDoom - have you seen how weapons are drawn in GZDoom? Try punching something with fighter in Hexen running under GZDoom in widescreen to be amused.
Sceptic is not amused.

:rage:

WHY MUST BOTH PORTS SUCK? WHY? WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY?

Lord Rocket

Erudite
They're talking about Hexen dude, good luck getting it to work with Chocolate.

I'm assuming the GZDoom problem is related to the Fighter's fist sprite edge? Someone please post a Doomsday widescreen screen shot so I can see how they fixed it.

Multi-headed Cow

Lord Rocket said:
I'm assuming the GZDoom problem is related to the Fighter's fist sprite edge?
Yep. Also makes the UI look like ass.

DraQ

Arcane
Lord Rocket said:
They're talking about Hexen dude, good luck getting it to work with Chocolate.

I'm assuming the GZDoom problem is related to the Fighter's fist sprite edge? Someone please post a Doomsday widescreen screen shot so I can see how they fixed it.
Scaled the sprite properly.

I don't mind GZDoom UI, I actually do like the new HUD, but seeing a burly arm emerge from nothingness to punch stuff is just hilarious.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
kingcomrade said:
Serious Sam is not like Doom. Painkiller and Serious Sam belong in their own category, I think of them as arena shooters. You walk into one area, enemies spawn until you strafe them to death, then you move into the next area. Doom isn't really like that.

Doom is as much about level design as it is about shooting stuff.

ElectricOtter

DraQ said:
Level design?

*Faps to Hexen*
I'll see your Hexen and raise you a Doom 64

doom_64_profilelarge.jpg

unf

SharkClub

Prophet
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Doom 64 is surprisingly good, considering it was made for the Nintendo 64. It stays a lot more true to Doom and Doom II than Doom 3 did, and it does it pretty damn well.
Gothic atmosphere is fine too. :thumbsup:
Then again, the N64 had a lot of good shooters with crappy controls.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BRO WAIT A MINUTE IS N64 OLD ENOUGH TO BE A COOL CODEX CONSOLE NOW THJIS GETS SO CONFUSING BROS THIS IS TOO HARD TO KEEP UP WITH

IF I WAS LESS INTELLISGENT I WOULD BE CONFUSED ENOUGH TO PLAY KOTOR FOR THE EIGHT TIME

Multi-headed Cow

Actually is there a Doom64 wad floating around? Never played that. If I could easily slap it into a program and play with PC controls on PC I might give it a whirl.

Edit: Oh god. Looked it up on youtube. The shotgun model doesn't bring it up and pump it after firing. This displeases the graphics and Doom whores in me enough I don't know if I could play it. :decline:

Edit2: http://www.doom2.net/~doomdepot/abs-about.html

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom