Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Thoughts after playing Doom 1 and 2

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
I can't remember in which thread this started, so I'll post here. Lord Rocket to the rescue?

Playing Jade Earth in Doomsday and have run across two three annoyances:
1) aspect ratio. I thought hey cool I'll try 1680x1050! but I don't think this is the correct Doom FOV. Then I noticed Doomsday just leaves the FOV at 95 regardless. Any idea what the correct setting for Doom was, and what setting to use at a 16:10 ration to get a proper widescreen?
2) Jade Earth itself is such a huge map that it takes forever to load. About 20-30 seconds of the computer doing nothing and the "loading map" icon. Since I'm dying quite a bit early on (on Ultraviolence) this is seriously annoying. Is this Doomsday-specific?
3) By default Doomsday renders invisibility wrong. Instead of the really cool fuzzy effect that made Spectres something special I instead see a semi-transluscent Demon that is way, WAY too visible. How do I fix this? does Doomsday even have a proper compatibility mode for this?

DraQ

Arcane
Sceptic said:
3) By default Doomsday renders invisibility wrong. Instead of the really cool fuzzy effect that made Spectres something special I instead see a semi-transluscent Demon that is way, WAY too visible. How do I fix this? does Doomsday even have a proper compatibility mode for this?
This. Fucking this.
:(

Also, what's with TN and Lem?
:smug:
(not trying to troll lol you, I'm just genuinely interested in your impressions)

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
DraQ said:
This. Fucking this.
Tell me about it :(

Also, what's with TN and Lem?
TN has no saving in-mission, which makes me rage at the idea of trying to play it (my gaming is currently coming in 10-15 minute bouts). Lem... I loved The Invincible but I've given up on trying to review it. I have nothing to compare it to. I'll give it another shot tonight. Now reading The Star Diaries, which is on the opposite side of the spectrum, and is hilarious (and surprisingly clever in parts. The very last statement in the Calculator voyage was... interesting).

deus101

Never LET ME into a tattoo parlor!
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
Strife?

We're TALKING BOUT STRIFE!!

YAY!!!

deus101

Never LET ME into a tattoo parlor!
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
I...I never played quake...well, i played the demo but...not the entire game :(

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
deus101 said:
I...I never played quake...well, i played the demo but...not the entire game :(
DO IT FAGGOT.

CD version only of course, no point in playing the game without Trent Reznor's super-awesome music. See the list of ports and pick your poison (though for an experience that's very similar to the original GLQuake I still recommend FitzQuake).

@DraQ: Lem mini-review posted in book thread.

DraQ

Arcane
Sceptic said:
TN has no saving in-mission, which makes me rage at the idea of trying to play it (my gaming is currently coming in 10-15 minute bouts).
That's about all the time you should need for one mission. They are generally: get in -> do your job -> get out. 10-15' should be enough time to either succeed or die horribly.

Lem... I loved The Invincible but I've given up on trying to review it. I have nothing to compare it to. I'll give it another shot tonight.
I'm actually grinning as I'm reading this.

Now reading The Star Diaries, which is on the opposite side of the spectrum, and is hilarious (and surprisingly clever in parts. The very last statement in the Calculator voyage was... interesting).
Rather misanthropic, wasn't it? :D

In any case, wait till you get to the Voyage XXI, it's still hilarious at times, but it's also something more, unlike many others that are 'merely' lulzy (in terms of lulziness VII probably takes the cake).

Also XXV is pretty delicious, although it starts with a series of not particularly related WTF?s.

As for Quake, I find Tenebrae best suited for atmosphere-fags.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Great, now I'm stuck in Jade Earth. Got a switch that I can't press, and several elevator-like things that may or may not require secret switches to activate. Is this thing incompatible with Doomsday? God damn it.

DraQ said:
(in terms of lulziness VII probably takes the cake).
It starts of interesting, goes fun, then feels a bit drawn out, then by the time the Ijons (how do you pronounce Ijon Tichy anyway?) are putting together a committee you know it's gone into full-blown retardawesomely lulzy. So far none of the voyages has disappointed.

EDIT

It's official: Doomsday sucks Donkey Balls.

That unpressable switch? A Doomsday bug; for some reason switches cannot be shot (doesn't this make some original Doom 1/2 levels uncompletable?). Then I finally realized what looked wrong: EVERYTHING is much, much brighter than it should be. No, it's not gamma; the contrast between light and dark sectors is simply gone. Turned off all the lights options, no go. Fuck it.

Went back to ZDoom (which I haven't tried in a looooooooooong time). GZDoom works fine too. Both have exact same options, including: lights working properly, switches working properly, and presets for compatibility mode so you can immediately switch between Doom 1, Doom 2, Strife, whatever. Awesome. Gonna restart the map with GZDoom.

I am disappointed. For many, many years, Doomsday was my port choice. Even now, the eyecandy looks nicer than ZDoom... but it's just not worth it.

Lord Rocket

Erudite
Sceptic said:
I can't remember in which thread this started, so I'll post here. Lord Rocket to the rescue?

Playing Jade Earth in Doomsday and have run across two three annoyances:
1) aspect ratio. I thought hey cool I'll try 1680x1050! but I don't think this is the correct Doom FOV. Then I noticed Doomsday just leaves the FOV at 95 regardless. Any idea what the correct setting for Doom was, and what setting to use at a 16:10 ration to get a proper widescreen?
2) Jade Earth itself is such a huge map that it takes forever to load. About 20-30 seconds of the computer doing nothing and the "loading map" icon. Since I'm dying quite a bit early on (on Ultraviolence) this is seriously annoying. Is this Doomsday-specific?

Argh questions about a port I don't use and widescreen monitors, which I don't have. AND I only just saw your edit, making the whole thing pointless but I'll post it anyway.

Oh well.

1) I tried searching around for this but no luck. The Doomsday wiki reckons 90 is the best for 4:3 resolutions but doesn't say anything about 16:9 or 16:10. One guy on the Doowworld forum reckons 100 is good, for what that's worth.
2) It's possible Doomsday is regenerating the GL nodes every time it loads the map. Last time I used it, there would be a bit of a delay the first time it loaded a map while it did that, but then it would boot up pretty quickly after that. You might like to have a poke around and see if there's some sort of setting along the lines of 'regenerate GL nodes every time a map is loaded' which you can switch off. Or not.
3) Yeah that's a general problem with GL renderers, for some reason they're completely incapable of doing spectres properly. PRBoom+ and GZDoom get around this by darkening the sprite until it's sort of dark grey looking. It's one of the reasons I tend to go with software rendering.

Great, now I'm stuck in Jade Earth. Got a switch that I can't press, and several elevator-like things that may or may not require secret switches to activate. Is this thing incompatible with Doomsday? God damn it.

Yup, it's a Boom-compatible map... which Doomsday isn't compatible with. Presumably the inoperable switches in question are 'generalised' linedefs which Dday won't take to properly (this includes non-door switches that need a key to operate as well). Switches which are made using vanilla linedefs should be OK however, including vanilla shootable switches.

Have fun.

Destroid

Arcane
A quick calculation indicates that 108 degrees is a proportional increase for a 16:10 display over 90 degrees on a 4:3.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Lord Rocket said:
Argh questions about a port I don't use and widescreen monitors, which I don't have. AND I only just saw your edit, making the whole thing pointless but I'll post it anyway.
Not pointless at all, I have learned a few more useful things. Your help is appreciated :salute:

It's possible Doomsday is regenerating the GL nodes every time it loads the map. Last time I used it, there would be a bit of a delay the first time it loaded a map while it did that, but then it would boot up pretty quickly after that.
The regular maps were like this - first time I loaded M1 from Doom 2 it took a few seconds, every time after this it's instantaneous. But with Jade Earth it takes forever every single time - including quickloading from within the map. Funnily enough (G)ZDoom has no such trouble - instantaneous loading even the first time.

Yeah that's a general problem with GL renderers, for some reason they're completely incapable of doing spectres properly. PRBoom+ and GZDoom get around this by darkening the sprite until it's sort of dark grey looking. It's one of the reasons I tend to go with software rendering.

Thanks, I was wondering if my memory was playing tricks or GZDoom was also not rendering it exactly right. At least GZDoom's looks good enough to not make much of a difference unless you're very close. I will think about it and decide whether to use regular ZDoom or GZDoom by the time I get back home tonight.

Yup, it's a Boom-compatible map... which Doomsday isn't compatible with.
WTF is this shit? I thought DD was Boom-compatible. This sucks. I am truly disappointed. I think I now also understand why I wasn't getting a "you need the blue keycard" message when trying to use the blue switch.

ION, the alternate UI is pretty cool.

Destroid said:
A quick calculation indicates that 108 degrees is a proportional increase for a 16:10 display over 90 degrees on a 4:3.
Forgot to mention that's another thing ZDoom does right: FOV is automatically adjusted (correctly) when switching aspect ratio. I love it now.

Edity edit
About halfway through Jade Earth judging by the kill count, and already spent 1:12 on it. Incredibly good map so far. Playing on Ultraviolence and now wish I used HMP instead. Map balance is exquisite. I've not run out of ammo yet, but I've been very close a couple of times. Difficulty is high, but not so high as to be impossible... at least until I hit this gigantic room full of mancubi, arachnotrons, revenants, cacodemons and assorted delights. Decided to call it a night on this. The mapmaker loves Revenants (fuck him). Really enjoying it. It's mostly linear but the design is excellent and there are some very pretty set pieces. GZDoom is performing like a charm too.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS I HAVE A TOTAL BONER FOR QUAKE NOW PROBABLY MOST FUN I HAVE HAD WITH AN FPS IN A WHILE I USUALLY PLAY THAT SHIT ON THE FAGBOX BUT QUAKE JUST SEEMS COOL

I LOVED QUAKE 2 WHEN IT CAME OUT TOO BUT THAT MOTHERFUCKING GAME GAVE ME MOTIONSUCKNESS QUAKE DOES A LITTLE TOO NO OTHER GAMES DO

ARE THERE ANY FANCY ENGICNES FOR THE FIRST UNREAL I TRIED IT ONCE BUT DIDNT GET IT TO WORK RIGHT ALTHOUGH I FOUND SOME FIXES AFTER I DELETED IT

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
BLOBERT said:
BROS I HAVE A TOTAL BONER FOR QUAKE NOW PROBABLY MOST FUN I HAVE HAD WITH AN FPS IN A WHILE
:love:
What do you think of the soundtrack?

ARE THERE ANY FANCY ENGICNES FOR THE FIRST UNREAL I TRIED IT ONCE BUT DIDNT GET IT TO WORK RIGHT ALTHOUGH I FOUND SOME FIXES AFTER I DELETED IT
You might want to check DraQ's posts in... either this thread or the HL2 one, not sure. He mentioned something to run Unreal content on the UT engine. I also found these patches as a result of that discussion, they seem to make Unreal compatible with DX9. Might work, haven't tried them yet.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
THANKS SCEPTIC BRO

I DONT HAVCE THE CD QUAKE VERSION ALTHOUGH I DID WHEN IT FIRST CAME OUT A LONG TIME AGO

THANKS FOR THE UNREAL STUFF!!

Multi-headed Cow

http://stronghold.drdteam.org/

Bros I am going to try Doom tower defense and will report back with my findings.

Edit: Not as much tower defense, almost sorta limited arena with money system so you can buy powerups for future missions. Not entirely terrible thus far.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
BLOBERT said:
I DONT HAVCE THE CD QUAKE VERSION
:rage:

Stop playing, get the CD version WITH AUDIO TRACKS and continue playing with it in the drive/demontools. The music is an INTEGRAL part of the experience. NOT TO BE MISSED.

Edit: PM'ed you a link to the CD version.

While having played all quakes, I have not once heard any music from any of the games. Music is always an important part of my experience with games so it is probably true that it would have improved my experience a lot had they had the music

Unfortunately I don't care about any of them enough to go out and look for the music.

Lord Rocket

Erudite
Multi-headed Cow said:
http://stronghold.drdteam.org/

Bros I am going to try Doom tower defense and will report back with my findings.

Edit: Not as much tower defense, almost sorta limited arena with money system so you can buy powerups for future missions. Not entirely terrible thus far.

There are drama threads on the ZDoom and Doomworld forums re: that mod at the moment, if you enjoy a bit of butthurt.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
The more I think about Doom, the more I realized what a good game it is. It seems so simple, but there's a lot of good though behind it, in the gun design, in the monster design, in the level design. In the way they all interact.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom