Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

This just in: Syndicate sucks

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
15343546.jpg

skuphundaku

Economic devastator, Mk. 11
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
AC was pretty much shit. AC2 had potential but was still shit. Never bothered with all these other spin-offs.

It just seems a total waste to me to create all these huge environments and landscapes so just you jump from point A to point B. This is basically how (semi) open-world is done wrong - because it's still linear as shit but only gives you the illusion of an open world.

Fallout NV is how open-world is done right. It gives you reward opportunities for people that explore. AC has no such a thing.

You're right, in a way, when you say that "Fallout NV is how open-world is done right". You're right if you look at it from a storyfag/cncfag perspective. In AC (AC2 and AssBro actually, because I haven't played AC1), the rewards for exploration exist but are insignificant most of the time, the only exception being the awesome armor you can unlock if you're persistent enough. On the other hand AC is better from a mechanics perspective for all the reasons VotS enumerated.

Putting these two elements together would be a recipe for EPIC WIN, but, sadly, I don't see Ubi being able to grasp RPG and C&C concepts and I don't see Obsidian being able to put together a game with such polished mechanics as AC.

Self-Ejected

ManjuShri

Self-Ejected
Sounding and feeling are different, feeling requires first hand knowledge of how enemies react to your fire and recoil animation in addition to the sound.

The best example of a meaty gun would be the Doom 2 super shotgun, with its long reload and hefty punch plus the BOOM CLICK CLACK CLOCK. You really feel it, it's definitely not a 'floaty' gun.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
... Even the plot is goddamn stupid. You do some jobs for your syndicate, learn of a rebellion and like it or not you'll end up helping the rebels against the EVIL corporations! The main character also has a short moment of reflection after a certain boss fight where he weeps for all the poor souls he has killed, then it's back to killing...
:hmmm:

Not sure how this turned into AC and open world stuff discussion but whatever, lemme just say this - Batman Arkham City wiped the fucking floor with Assassin's Creed as far as these type of games go.

MCA
Fallout NV is how open-world is done right. It gives you reward opportunities for people that explore. AC has no such a thing.

No shit, Sherlock. One is a sandbox RPG. The other is a consolised action game with big levels.

Regardless, when prompted to create something of their own from scratch, Obsidian came up with a shit game like Alpha Popamole which doesn't do half the things AC series does in the name of espionage. Likewise, there's no serious spatial element in NV. No climbing and AI is the same old dumb AI that can only navigate on a strictly 2D plane without any interruptions.

MCA
Arkham City lacked focus if you ask me, and variation. Too much night time Batmaning. If they added some light adventure elements, like going around investigating stuff, talking to people as Bruce Wayne, and sometimes in daylight too for a change, it would be an epic game to look up to for ages.

Angelo85

Arcane
Patron
Haven't read the Thread, just here to warn people. The decline is strong in this one. Also as you saw from the screens the bloom... the bloom.
Played about halfway through the Singleplayer until I gave up and uninstalled. Also I was under the impression from earlier videos that you would play with AI teammates, who had a "personality of their own".
I always played alone except two instances where I was "covered" in a killing room by a friendly AI player.

Anyways my final verdict: do not buy, do not acquire. Play the latest Deus Ex instead if you haven't already. Setting wise it's similar but much better.

Father Walker

Potato Ranger
Haven't read the Thread, just here to warn people. The decline is strong in this one. Also as you saw from the screens the bloom... the bloom.
Played about halfway through the Singleplayer until I gave up and uninstalled. Also I was under the impression from earlier videos that you would play with AI teammates, who had a "personality of their own".
I always played alone except two instances where I was "covered" in a killing room by a friendly AI player.

Anyways my final verdict: do not buy, do not acquire. Play the latest Deus Ex instead if you haven't already. Setting wise it's similar but much better.

Ok, so what's wrong about this game exactly? Is it worth it if I want to play some popamole shooter with lots of awesome (button)? Are QTEs and long cutscenes in?

Self-Ejected

ManjuShri

Self-Ejected
QTE's in the form of button mashing for every door that needs to be prised open which about 60% of them. It's solid but nothing special, the only reason to play it would be for Brian Cox and Michael Wincott who are superb as usual. If the 'choice' actually made a difference it could have saved the storyline.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
From what I gather, the game was set to be quite more ambitious. More GTA like, with an open world and all that...well, the final product didn't turn out to be that way, so somebody somewhere fucked up.

What's in there though is well executed and polished. It's just not very special, though the atmosphere is very good. Characters had lot's of potential but they weren't further developed, which is a shame. Seems like the game was scrapped at some point and rushed together in the last remaining year before release. I better hope this is EA's fault.

Self-Ejected

ManjuShri

Self-Ejected
It is actually a really nice weapon, totally overpowered, infinite ammo, loud and literally cuts people in half. Feels fantastic. Second favourite is probably the sound of the sub machine gun although that's outdone by E.Y. E.'s sub's alt fire (the video/audio quality doesn't give you the full effect). Nice to actually see recent games get weapons right for once.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Those dead soldiers look like the Spec Ops guys from DX:HR.

I NEVER WANTED THIS

Roderick

Savant
I tried this. the gunplay is nice as is the movement and some of the "feel" of the game.the engine seems quite decent and it works decently in my not very good for gaming laptop (hate the absurd amount of Bloom). it had potential but it's really linear and with boring mission design and quicktime events.

the version I downloaded seemed bugged in a quicktime event, i couldn't escape. so I deleted it.

I'd rather play E.Y.E.

A syndicate squad shooter done in a semi open world with missions like the 1993 game in an engine kind of like this could have been great

Stakhanov

Augur
Syndicate is egregious, pathetic, and abominable. It seems like half the game never made it out of the planning stage and instead something had to be cobbled together: a mishmash of levels that add half up to a three to four hour campaign with no flow, no story, no establishment of setting, and nothing to make the faceless characters and corporations remotely comprehensible besides boring text dumps. The mechanics add up to CoD with sticky cover and magic powers so not much to say about that except it's below-average popamole.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom