Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

This just in: Syndicate sucks

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
No shit. Big publishers choosing "established experiences" over taking risks.

I wonder if the final result was EA's volition or just Starbreeze's incompetence to turn Syndicate into something so worthless.

Peter

Arcane
Shit, how could I forget Mirror's Edge, the best example of what I meant and one of the most interesting games in the last couple of years.

Anyway, yeah, I know that Dead Space is Resident Evil 4 in space. From your post it simply seemed to me that you were saying that every game they made was a direct clone of another game. The only thing Dead Space took from Resi 4 was the gameplay itself, and even then it added it's own little twists like the dismemberment and the zero-gravity and no oxygen sections.

Plus, please tell me where the big original games from other publishers are. Only ones I can think of off the top of my head are Bioshock, which was even more derivative from SS2 than Dead Space, Assassin's Creed, which was basically Prince of Persia meets GTA, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, which stands out in today's market but took most of it's ideas from 10 years old PC games and was, you know, a sequel, and possibly Metro 2033, if only for the Eastern European take on both the post-apocalyptic genre and the linear corridor shooter.

Let's put it this way: I can't really imagine anything as derivative as Activision's Singularity or THQ's Homefront being released by EA in the last couple of years. Oh wait, truth be told, there was Dante's Inferno. Still, though, I think you're greatly exaggerating about EA and are kinda ignoring that every other big publisher is more or less the same (Ubisoft, THQ and Eidos/Sqeenix being a bit better than Activision and EA when it comes to innovashun).

Who would have thought that the day would come when I would defend EA in an argument.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Dragon Age is BioWare, the one tiny bit of originality left.
I get what you're saying here but this still made me laugh. But it is Knights of the Old Republic, Lord of the Rings, and World of Warcraft put in a blender...

Eyeball

Arcane
Oh, sweet Jesus, that trailer made me cry a manly tear of anguish for the state of modern video gaming. Biggest waste of a good IP since the Shadowrun game and the worst part of it is that they coulda made their Deux Ex 3 ripoff with their own invented setting and it probably wouldn't have hurt sales any.

I did like the "hack microchip in guard's head to make him shoot himself" bit though, that at least seemed appropriately GrimDark for a Syndicate sequel. Everything else looks like fucking shit.

potatojohn

Arcane
Rumor has it EA is going to make a sequel to Abuse next year. It's going to be a grimdark popamole action rpg with strong characters and tasteful romance. I hear the developers are great fans of the original so it should be good.

Stinger

Arcane
Think all this bashing of an EA game means that ME3 won't go unscathed either?

Achilles

Arcane
Really? A "modern" remake of a beloved classic sucks, you say? Huh, who would have thought. But don't let that get you down EA, there are lots of other classics for you to defile. Better luck next time!

So in an alternate universe we're all enjoying a good remake of a boring graphic whore FPS which was soon forgotten back when it was released? Hrm... perhaps I can convince Captain Picard to send me to the mirror universe. I always did like the Terran Empire.

potatojohn

Arcane
I've been looking forward to this turd. Playing it right now. 3/4 of the time I have no idea what the fuck is going on because the game looks like it's set 10km underwater with all the bloom and atmosphere. 1/4 of the time it looks like shitty version of DXHR.

Fuck yeah:
t7dFQ.png

Bloom
vSM4c.jpg

Romance!:
1Fnqf.jpg

Where's the bloom?
LyXX1.jpg

Executing random civilians with a boot stomp. I didn't think it was possible but this game is even more mature than Duke Nukem Forever.
fWCUS.png

GreyViper

Prophet
Rumor has it EA is going to make a sequel to Abuse next year. It's going to be a grimdark popamole action rpg with strong characters and tasteful romance. I hear the developers are great fans of the original so it should be good.
So is EA going to abuse the Abuse title next I wonder.:yeah:

As for FPS syndicate, nice screens potatojhon you can really see the hangover MR Kilo and how many grams he has had.

MisterStone

Arcane
Where's the blooExecuting random civilians with a boot stomp. I didn't think it was possible but this game is even more mature than Duke Nukem Forever.
fWCUS.png

WTF why is your foot the size of 2/3rds her body? Is that a toddler, or a midget?

Also, please tell me you shooped this shit to add bloom. This much bloom couldn't really just appear in a game for no reason, could it?

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
Played a bit of it, if you enjoyed riddick/dark athena you'll prolly enjoy this. I couldn't give a flying fuck about the old syndicate though so my inner butthurt monster is subdued.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Electronic Arts sets a new groundbreaking record as it delivers the game for people having the IQ lower than that of an average modern shooter player (DXHR/FNV/CoD/BF3). A no small feat you have to agree:

piy05.jpg

XLfaP.jpg

Judging by the screenshots the character also suffers from a severe eye damage akin to the main character in Battlefield 3 where everything is muddy and blurry and even the smallest light source makes the player blind as a bat.
So that means EA made sure that not only mentally handicapped people who can't tell a chair from a vase can play the game.

syndicate-20120117090705366.jpg

syndicate17.jpg

Is there no end to the innovation?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom