Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline This is what is wrong with cRpgs today

Malpercio

Arcane
For some reason The Witcher 2 always felt like a consolized game to me, even though I realize this makes no sense given that the consoles version game out much later.

the_shadow

Arcane
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiejupbcF5A

*6 hours* of cutscenes. I've complained about games shitting you through the plot in the past, but Witcher 2 was more like shitting you from one cutscene to another. Games are becoming over-saturated with cutscenes. I'd argue that it detracts from the gameplay, but it's actually worse than that. It *removes* the gameplay element. You spend more time watching a episode of 'Game of Thrones' than actually playing a game.
If-someone-tells-you-they-know-what-you-need-run1.jpg

Maybe you should try pressing this "magical button" instead of making a retarded thread on the codex.

Just Sayin'

That's like going to take a shit during a boring part of the movie. You're not sure if you'll miss something important while you are gone.

mondblut

Arcane
removal of meaningful player agency.

• treat you like a child, etc
  • Dialogue which does not let you say anything remotely close to what you WANT to say

Man, sprinkle the word "woman" all over it, and you'd sound like sharkissian, lol.

why limit cutscene fatigue to crpgs

anyway, screw the haters; borderlands 1 and 2 did cutscene exposition perfectly with their character/boss entrances and the ability of the player to wander around while your quest giver spouts instructions.

one of the veritable LIST of things the borderlands games do that outshine pretty much all AAA games since

For some reason The Witcher 2 always felt like a consolized game to me, even though I realize this makes no sense given that the consoles version game out much later.

Just an year later. It's not like they suddenly realized they could do that.

btw, speaking of Anita Sarkerisisiansnisian

On 3 May 2011, Namco Bandai confirmed that the Australian release of the game would be modified to meet the MA15+ rating. The edit specifically relates to a side quest in which Geralt is offered sex as a reward for completing the quest. The Australian version will see Geralt decline the offer automatically.

:lol:

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
The are actually two censored scenes that fit that description in TW2, both in Chapter 2 on Iorveth's Path, one involving a succubus and another a she-elf.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Why is that when I read something about Australia it's always about censorship and oppression?
What happened to real men like Paul Hogan?

pippin

but the enhanced edition director's cut thingies restore all the forbidden content, am i right?
at least that happened with the previous games, so...

dnf

Pedophile
Dumbfuck Shitposter
Maybe you should read books instead? Seriously tough, cutscenes are just a tool.It's just that rpg makers are really bad at crafting cutscenes...

"You don't enjoy passively sitting back and watching a story unfold while you have zero control over where it's going? Maybe try reading books instead, because you obviously don't like RPGs."
Maybe you should learn how to read, because i didn't say any of that(apart from you not getting an obvious, in your face, joke).

Cadmus

Arcane
I don't mind the cutscenes for the most part. The reason is that in early 2000s, the cutscenes were still a sort of a reward after the gameplay. You get to see new animations, new and better rendered stuff and things your character couldn't do and I got used to it. Cutscenes aren't whats wrong with cRPGs.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
The reason is that in early 2000s
It's not the early 2000s anymore (assuming "2000s" refers to the decade 2001-2010 and not the entire century).

the cutscenes were still a sort of a reward after the gameplay.
The scarcity was part of their appeal. If something is too easily available, it loses its allure (ex. luxury brands).

You get to see new animations, new and better rendered stuff and things your character couldn't do
Nowadays the same high-resolution models used in gameplay are often used in the cutscenes as well.

and I got used to it.
:negative:
Cutscenes aren't whats wrong with cRPGs.
They ain't what's right, either.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
btw, speaking of Anita Sarkerisisiansnisian

On 3 May 2011, Namco Bandai confirmed that the Australian release of the game would be modified to meet the MA15+ rating. The edit specifically relates to a side quest in which Geralt is offered sex as a reward for completing the quest. The Australian version will see Geralt decline the offer automatically.

Well we all know women never reward favors or gifts with sex. Come on now. What kind of fantasy world are these devs living in?

You would get even more immersion if these roguelikes allowed graphics, sound, music, animations, cutscenes etc.

When I see an ASCII character representing a chair, or when I read about a chair, my mind, my imagination create it's own mental image.
When I see an actual chair, my mind and my imagination becomes useless, the brain simply becoming a storing device to what is presented to me.
Immersion, for me at least, only works when my mind, my imagination, is able, and allowed, to create it. And the more I see, the less it comes from me, and immersion never comes around. It's very personal of course, but that's my experience.

Best example I could give is this:
If you only read The Lord of the Ring trilogy, you'll have your own images of everything described in the books, your own faces, all created from references to your personal experiences that the author used in his writing and descriptions. This will vary from person to person, because the links, the references and the interpretation of the words will be slightly different within each reader, since they are constructed from our own personal experiences. I can become really immersed into a book because of this, my entire mind working to re-create the world and context I'm reading about. That happens to me quite often.
Once you see the movies, it becomes almost impossible to see anything else but the exact scenes visualized in the movies themselves. Even reading the books afterwards you will only see the actors faces through the characters descriptions, the amazing visuals through the written scenes. I never was immersed into a movie and reading the book afterwards, I find it very hard to to do, even if I could before seeing the movie. That's mainly because my mind doesn't create anything, it's just copy/pasting stored memories from the movie itself.

Edit:
As a note, music helps a lot, as it puts your mind back into gear even with visuals presented to you. But I play all games without any music whatsoever, and read books without musics either. How many movies remain relevant once you remove the music? How many games keep you invested without any music?
To me, usually the good ones :)
Nice post. Graphics don't matter to me nearly as much as gameplay. I liked Dwarf Fortress. I play MUDs. I can play games which have old-ish graphics and there's no problm. It's harder for me to tolerate bad/clumsy GUI/UI schemes

For me immersion is more about being able to die easy or having strong consequences for dumb or ill-informed choices. For example, if I'm walking near a cliff and there's ice I can slip on and slopes to watch out for, while running from a fierce monster: I'm immersed. In general, the more I have to be aware of what's around me, the more immersed I am. If I enter a dungeon, I want to know that I can't make too many impulsive or dumb choices. Some pain is good to reinforce this.

I generally prefer first-person, though. Not sure why. First and third person really don't have to be different in terms of the intensity. A first person game can be far less immersive if it's too casual or safe when playing.

Don't like cartoony and/or anime graphics either, mostly. Just fels stupid. I know some people divorce themselves from the look of the game and it's all interna, but I'm not cpaable of that. I can't play female charactes either. Just can't.

Last edited:

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
There's nothing wrong with CRPGs today.
Maybe except for too many good ones being developed in the last couple of years thanks to Kickstarter incline.
Let's face it, the old games of yore we all remember so fondly were just as flawed as teh new stuff, even gameplay-wise. CRPGs are hard to do right, and it's even harder to please all the different player types, from number crunchers to storyfags. Today there are options for both ... so yeah, there's nothing wrong with CRPGs today.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Today as in TODAY maybe, but not too long ago we had absolutely nothing to look forward besides another vogelware and AoD coming out any thursday now

Atchodas

Augur
Lol i dont get it after 10 years of not a single decent cRPG people still complain ? There are more cRPG's at the moment than you could play , last 12 months hardest thing to do is pick which cRPG i am gona play next , they might not be BG2 but there are plenty of decent games to play .

EDIT : just realized this thread is complaining about cutscenes in witcher 2 w/e thats not even real rpg , and yes CUTSCENES IS MAJOR SHIT

Cassidy

Arcane
One of the problem with games is that they can't make the latter easily, as they couldn't justify it costing a lot (say, 500£ for a game. Not a kickstarter thing, all their revenues would have to come from the £500 copies), or couldn't justify a horribly high initial funding of the project without guarantees of return.

Milking retards with DLCs and "micro"transactions can easily get income per customer cattle way past £500, and this year Ubisoft has even tried(and probably succeeded) in actively seeking such goal, proving you are wrong. The upcoming paid mods by Bethesda will likewise do the same.

:troll:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom