Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry The Wizardry Series Thread

Jason Liang

Arcane
Question (Wiz V): It's possible to reduce "magic resistance" with some spell? ie: I use Montino but the fucker resisted it, PALIOS would be effective?, considering that reduces magic screens, or the monster have to erect one barrier in the battle first?

Nope. That's why you have Samurai and Ninjas.

IIRC Haman and Mahaman effects can't be resisted. That's how you farm Greater Demons in Wiz 1 (Haman to silence the Greater Demons so they can't spam Madalto).

AArmanFV

Arbiter
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
Question (Wiz V): It's possible to reduce "magic resistance" with some spell? ie: I use Montino but the fucker resisted it, PALIOS would be effective?, considering that reduces magic screens, or the monster have to erect one barrier in the battle first?

Nope. That's why you have Samurai and Ninjas.

IIRC Haman and Mahaman effects can't be resisted. That's how you farm Greater Demons in Wiz 1 (Haman to silence the Greater Demons so they can't spam Madalto).

Too bad that Haman doesn't exist anymore, at least I have Maxwitz (I suppose it can't be resisted). Then my choice is farming until my samurais learn level 5 mage spells.

PD: Too late for a Bishop? (Lv 13 Mage and Priest...)

Iznaliu

Arbiter
how the hell was I supposed to know to do that with the rebus egg? (wizardry 7)

Take LSD and get into the mindset of the killer

bradley.jpg

You cropped off the lightning striking. Disappointing.

Lukifell

Educated
Did some testing (Wiz7).

Although Reflextion doesn't increase your AC, it appears to debuff the attacker's miss chance, or at least increase your AC invisibly. A level 7 Samurai with it at ~70 could easily take on the Savant Troopers at the endless spawn door, but the same Samurai with it at 1 got hit way too often.

Last edited:

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
If I could save/reload to guarantee stats on level up, I'd turn him into a Monk, since their resistances are the best, but alas...

I didn't notice monks having better resistances than any other class. If anything, it was the amulets that made a difference, as well as the protection spells.

Ninjas seem to be somewhat better than monks in the fighting department, which is why I prefer them, but a monk is a pretty good choice too. In fact, it's surprising how much damage hands & feet do. It's only in the last third of the game that you find weapons that do more damage than 2-3 double attacks with hands & feet each turn.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Hell's bells this Nyctalinth

take 2 steps

30 TRANGS APPEAR

another 2 steps

30 TRANGS APPEAR

another 2 steps

30 TRANGS APPEAR

hey I wonder whats behind this door

30 TRANGS APPEAR

:despair:

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Yeah, I held off exploring Nyctalinth and Rattkin Ruins towards the end. And the Dane Tower, since those last battles are pretty hardcore. I like rattkins because you can mass spam sleep on them, except the ones at the ruins have poison and even instakill in some cases. From what I remember, both the T'Rang and Umpani have a weakness for going insane and the irritation bard instrument.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Well, I'm already past the Rattkin ruins at least. Don't remember a whole lot of instakillers, just the odd ronin here and there. But yeah the damned poison arrow spam was annoying until I remembered there's a reason why I have missile shield.

Also, the T'rangs aren't even particularly bad, at least on the surface of the city close to the entrance where I'm at now, because it's only scrublords that bumrush you - keepers, guarders, wilders, tecnicks, etc, so you can just keep nukular blasting your way through all of them, it's just that it's such a fucking chore. At least they give gud xp for little effort.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
It's not like Munkarama and Orkogre is any better.
A reduction in half in the number of encounters and enemies' HP would have worked wonders for Wiz 7.

Lukifell

Educated
If I could save/reload to guarantee stats on level up, I'd turn him into a Monk, since their resistances are the best, but alas...

I didn't notice monks having better resistances than any other class.

You can see resists with the Cosmic Forge program. Monk gets the best overall, tied with Samurai maybe. Ninja's resists are actually awesome except for the crap lifeforce. Stone of New Life works. (By the end game, monsters love spamming Death Wish / Death Cloud.)

And yeah, unarmed attacks with 100 skill is OP. Hmm. The only thing better until end game is Bushido Blade / Rod Sprites -- same damage except with +2 hit and effects. (Samurai also has a better hit progression -- an average of +4 over the monk by level 20)

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member

Orkogre was perfectly fine imo. Munkharama was probably the most fucking annoying shit so far though I'll give you that, BECAUSE OF ALL THE CONSTANT BLINDING FLASH SPAM I SWEAR ON ME MOM

Lukifell

Educated
Hell's bells this Nyctalinth

30 TRANGS APPEAR

Those are set encounters, though, right? After you clear them out, you can walk around for ages without encountering anything. Plus even the largest battle in Wiz 7 is short compared to what you see in Wiz 8. Especially when NPCs decide to join. Ugh.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Plus even the largest battle in Wiz 7 is short compared to what you see in Wiz 8. Especially when NPCs decide to join. Ugh.

The prime difference though is that Wiz8 has different AoE spell targeting. You can blow up 30 trash enemies with one fireball if you want, which isn't possible in Wiz7 with 5 groups of 6.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
You can see resists with the Cosmic Forge program. Monk gets the best overall, tied with Samurai maybe. Ninja's resists are actually awesome except for the crap lifeforce. Stone of New Life works. (By the end game, monsters love spamming Death Wish / Death Cloud.)

By that time you'll have Magic Screen and Amulets. And relatively high-level characters also. Never really had any problems with Death Wish/Death Cloud.

Munkharama was probably the most fucking annoying shit so far though I'll give you that, BECAUSE OF ALL THE CONSTANT BLINDING FLASH SPAM I SWEAR ON ME MOM

Oh yeah, the underground thing I also held off for a while. Did the mountains first and slaughtered Ukpyr for good measure.

The funny thing is that even after that I still had the choice to go with the Umpani at the end.

Lukifell

Educated

Orkogre was perfectly fine imo. Munkharama was probably the most fucking annoying shit so far though I'll give you that, BECAUSE OF ALL THE CONSTANT BLINDING FLASH SPAM I SWEAR ON ME MOM

Blinding Flash has to be the most annoying spell in the game, and one of the most common. It's the main reason why I run a lot of classes with high light resist

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
A reduction in half in the number of encounters and enemies' HP would have worked wonders for Wiz 7.

It made me very sad when I got to the final dungeon, encountered demons in groups of 2-4, one-shotted them all with the Astral Gate instrument, and received ten times the XP of any prior group of 30+ monsters.

Made the whole prior game feel like a waste.

mushaden

Scholar
Plus even the largest battle in Wiz 7 is short compared to what you see in Wiz 8. Especially when NPCs decide to join. Ugh.

The prime difference though is that Wiz8 has different AoE spell targeting. You can blow up 30 trash enemies with one fireball if you want, which isn't possible in Wiz7 with 5 groups of 6.

Level bard-mage-whatever thaumaturge till you get nuclear blast, that does the trick real good

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member

Level bard-mage-whatever thaumaturge till you get nuclear blast, that does the trick real good

Also, the T'rangs aren't even particularly bad, at least on the surface of the city close to the entrance where I'm at now, because it's only scrublords that bumrush you - keepers, guarders, wilders, tecnicks, etc, so you can just keep nukular blasting your way through all of them

:nocountryforshitposters:

AArmanFV

Arbiter
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
The pools in Wizardry V are incredible, maybe I could make some kind of "speedrun" with their properties.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom