Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry The Wizardry Series Thread

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Ok, I'm drunk so I'll answer.
There are two versions, just Wiz7 and Wiz7 Gold. Wiz7 Gold is prettier but has pair of very annoying bugs. Search for them, I remember describing (and reading how others described ) them several times. You can switch savegames between versions if you want. (hint, hint). Also Wiz7 Gold's map could be displayed constantly, it's nice.

Take Fairy. It eventually would be Fairy Ninja for very special item. You could thank me later.

EDIT: Better, start with Wiz6.

Also, when I'm here, WHO were parents of Bela?

I found several days ago my old savegames and killed King and Rebecca for the first time.
So, Rebecca's parents were summoned demon and Vicar's mistress. But I can't remember that Bela said me in cross-less endings. Now he just attacks me. Though now I finally know where to find Cameo Locket. :troll:

Last edited:

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Is it possible to import parties all the way from Wiz 1-8? I'm especially wondering about 5 to 6.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Last edited:

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Ok, I'm drunk so I'll answer.
There are two versions, just Wiz7 and Wiz7 Gold. Wiz7 Gold is prettier

You must be drunk if you think those anime abominations are prettier than the portraits of the DOS version. Or are than other visual difference?

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
You must be drunk if you think those anime abominations are prettier than the portraits of the DOS version. Or are than other visual difference?
Ya, portraits of DOS version are better, but I remember that overall graphic looks smoother. I tried to find screenshots to illustrate, but they look too similar. Probably it could be only seen in the game itself.

EDIT: Run game and found why I always thought that Wiz7Gold is smoother. I played it in 640x480, thus redrawn interface looked fine, and game window (that is around 320x200) was big enough to see everything but small enough to visually "smooth" graphic.

Last edited:

Gepeu

Savant
Patron
I was replaying Wizardry 7 a few months back (got burned out on the way while grinding, though. Maybe someday I will go back to playing that save) and had a chance to compare DOS with Gold.

The Gold version is a mess, especially when run on Windows 7, which I use. Not only it looks worse (those portraits, ugh), but it had serious problems with mouse cursor I couldn't fix. More often than not the game was ignoring most of the clicks, so I had to literally finger my mouse brutally every few minutes.
The DOS version took me 2 minutes to set up from a scratch and kept running like a charm. The protection passcodes weren't really a problem, since they're all listed on the Internet. I just printed them out (they're still lying on my desk, I've just noticed).

Maybe when I will take a longer leave from my job to write my PhD I will go back to grinding my party with a thought to import it to Wizardry 8 as a mean to relief my poor retarded brain trying to rig up some smart sentences.

Gepeu

Savant
Patron
I run the original version on DOSbox installed from my disc I got from my friend back in, ehhh 2001? It still requires the codes.

The Gold version doesn't.

Sentinel

Isn't it ironic that Wizardry 8 had annoying level scaling years before Oblivion?

V_K

Arcane
IIRC, scaling in Wiz8 works very differently. First, there are hard limits on maximum and minimum levels for each area, so some areas will always be harder than others. Second, direct skill training through use doesn't count towards level-scaling. Finally, if I'm not mistaken, loot isn't scaled, only enemies are. So unlike Oblivion, neither exploration, nor chardev are meaningless.

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
The level scaling in Wiz 8 wasn't absolutely horrible but I still would've preferred it not to have any scaling at all. The ridiculous amount of slow combat (even with all the speed-up tricks) in combination with the scaled mobs always burns me out :( Sure the scaling only works to a certain extent but meh

octavius

Arcane
Patron
The level scaling in Wiz 8 wasn't absolutely horrible but I still would've preferred it not to have any scaling at all. The ridiculous amount of slow combat (even with all the speed-up tricks) in combination with the scaled mobs always burns me out :( Sure the scaling only works to a certain extent but meh

So you were able to complete Fate: Gates of Dawn, but Wizardry 8 burns you out?

Sentinel

IIRC, scaling in Wiz8 works very differently. First, there are hard limits on maximum and minimum levels for each area, so some areas will always be harder than others. Second, direct skill training through use doesn't count towards level-scaling. Finally, if I'm not mistaken, loot isn't scaled, only enemies are. So unlike Oblivion, neither exploration, nor chardev are meaningless.
Need to replay Wiz8 one day to see how it works and verify a disturbing theory that I have.

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2

So you were able to complete Fate: Gates of Dawn, but Wizardry 8 burns you out?

Exactly.

:obviously:

ilitarist

Learned
Illiterate Village Idiot

It's more similar to Oblivion than you imply. First, Oblivion too had limits for levels in specific areas so, say, completing main quest on 1st level was problematic. Second, Oblivion too has skill training. And it's not a good thing. In an usual RPG ineffective character build means lost opportunity, in Oblivion and Wizardry 8 it means you're making a game significantly harder even though you're already having troubles playing it.

It's ptobably harder to have bad party in Wiz8 because you can't screw yourself by having a band of professional acrobats and swimmers. Progression there doesn't feel meaningless.

V_K

Arcane
The similarities are very superficial. In Oblivion skill training leads to leveling up (unless you never rest, of course). In Wiz8 leveling up is xp-based, and leads to point allocation in skills, which can also be improved through use, and that doesn't count towards your level and therefore scaling.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
The similarities are very superficial. In Oblivion skill training leads to leveling up
This. And with butchered number of skills something similar to Daggerfall Linguist build is out of question. Though I presume you can just skip on the magic schools and just hit everything with shiny sword riding on horseback. newBethesda: for retards by retards.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom