Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry The Wizardry Series Thread

You need to complete certain "quests" to learn those skills. Some are pretty well hidden, others are easy to find like the firearms skills.

Ok, I've already found that Gem of Power Strike but I'lle repeat - are they even worth trying? I'm only asking for party import purposes, since my fairy ninja is ovefukinglevelled, Wiz 7 is too easy now but dunno how to prepare rest of team for Wiz 8 playthrough - what are the rules of importing? Will I transfers all of my skills, levels, items or just like in Wiz6 - only certain item can be imported, some of the can be forgotten, level is reduced to 5, skill points are divided by five etc. ?

Wizfall

Cipher
Ok, I've already found that Gem of Power Strike but I'lle repeat - are they even worth trying? I'm only asking for party import purposes, since my fairy ninja is ovefukinglevelled, Wiz 7 is too easy now but dunno how to prepare rest of team for Wiz 8 playthrough - what are the rules of importing? Will I transfers all of my skills, levels, items or just like in Wiz6 - only certain item can be imported, some of the can be forgotten, level is reduced to 5, skill points are divided by five etc. ?
To be short just like in Wiz6.
Importing a party is a cool feature but....not very interesting except from a "roleplaying" and "immersion" point of view (some cool items also but that has the disadvantage to "unbalance" the game somewhat so...).
And the gadgeter is a fun and original class too, a bit a shame to not have one.

AArmanFV

Arbiter
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
Finally I have some time to play Wizardry II.

23vma83.jpg

2u3xs1w.jpg

How cute

wbf01w.jpg

A teleporter!... There's nothing that Malor can't solve.

20fhxh.jpg

What a piece of Armor.

Now I'm in the second level, the game is the same thing, but with more "boss battle", a good "expansion pack" I guess.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
So after seeing that Wizardry 8 thread, I finally started the game... trying to stay away from spoilers but can't unsee what I've seen on the game. Just some questions, if you please. I'm at the Umpani base.

So far, I'm ok with my classes but wish I would have done a little more research.
Mook Fighter / Felpurr Lord (kinda useless, but was cursed with the sword early on, now hits pretty hard)
Hobbit Rogue / Mook Archer
Pixie Mage / Dwarf Cleric

Fighter and lord - went all strength and dex. Figured Dex would get me hits, and so far it hasn't let me down, but I'm wondering if I'm missing multiple attacks by not taking speed. So far, the fighter is still swinging an Enchanted Broadsword at level 14. There has to be something better...
Rogue - well, there is no shortage of stuff to pick. Skill is at 82 modified now and he's not bad. Not much use for anything else, but has a good Bow skill.
Archer - not bad, but I might have neglected his sense skill. Didn't know it helped so much, but whatever.
Mage - for some reason was getting beat a lot early, so went full INT and SPEED. Has 96 speed and still only has 22 initiative. Entire 12 mobs of Hilgardi Highwaymen will move before she casts her fireball in the wrong location. What, these level 7 slobs all have 100 Speed?
Cleric - for some reason went full Piety, Vitality, all buffs, dispels, and heals. Actually, this turned out ok. 97 Hps at level 13 already has a 29 Iron Will. Never gets disabled, able to keep the party in stamina/hp/un-paralyzed for every battle. So far, so good. No real offense, though.

* Just got in the water. Average level is 13.5 or so, and doing pretty good so far, but not sure I want to go to Rapax Castle... in the water I'm feeling under-powered. Not losing battles, but burning almost all my spell points.
* Ok, so I left Don Carzonne or whatever the ratkin boss alone. He offered me the Dominae or such for 99k gold. I could kill him for free, but figured he'd always be there if I wanted to kill him, so I left him alone. My assumption is that he'll probably cheat me somehow/it will be fake/something else. But I can't stop thinking about that... Might just buy it off of him. Any thoughts?
* Found the cemetery but never had a quest to go there. Is that coming up, or did I miss something? Already did everything I could at Trynnie village/got helm/killed breeders.
* Both Cleric and Wizard found books for both setting and returning to Portal (eh, think Wizard took Return to Portal on level up before I found the book. Wanted that spell bad.) Don't know if I was lucky, or this is common, but any tips on where to set Portals for maximum Arnika road avoidance?
So far, pretty happy with the game. Yes, I bitch about random encounters and the painful slowness once you fight over 6 enemies, but really, really like the turn based 3d combat. If I get flanked, well, it's my fault. Like seeking the best place to fight or working movement into the mix.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Your team's fine, the only "questionable" thing about it is having both lord and a priest. No real need for that and priest is generally one of the weaker classes in the game. I'd definitely make him a front line fighter to get some decent mileage out of him, he's best suited to be actually fighting of all the caster classes by far.

The only reason to not kill the rat is if you want him as a vendor.

And the best spots for dropping your own teleports are obviously the teleportation hubs in Umpani and T'rang bases.

SirSingAlot

Arbiter
i was about to restart/replay Wiz7 or Wiz 8

opon installing, i realized the time i would have to sink into the game to actually play and enjoy it.

than i cried and deinstalled.

can some nice guy provide me with some save games?
(Wiz 7 after completing Ratkin Ruins, Munkharma and Gorn Castle)
(Wiz 8 after ..uhm...Martins Buff approx/ so mid game)

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
i was about to restart/replay Wiz7 or Wiz 8

opon installing, i realized the time i would have to sink into the game to actually play and enjoy it.

than i cried and deinstalled.

(Wiz 7 after completing Ratkin Ruins, Munkharma and Gorn Castle)
(Wiz 8 after ..uhm...Martins Buff approx/ so mid game)
I have a save for Wiz 8 (actually a few) right standing next to Crock, after the kidnapping. I also have one after his quest, and after ... well, dealing justice for that quest. Both are attached - I really gave out crappy names for this one, worse than usual, so you are warned.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/g0acvkbpplfic0o/AADu0_8c5Yrzwr40wUnz9CjGa?dl=0

I have about 20 saves in between all the way to standing outside the water at the Umpani base...

Prehistorik

Scholar
Following AArmanFV's path I've been playing wiz1 the last few days.
Thanks to octavius for the advise!

notes:
Damn it's hard to map the 3rd lvl.
I've used backed up saves quite a number of times already:facepalm:

AArmanFV

Arbiter
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
16a1ock.jpg

1z6t6e0.jpg

hufwc5.jpg

2hyl1k1.jpg

Now I'm going to grind, my priest is 30 years old now :(

Some levels were hard to map, I think that the map design some times was repetitive, but is a good game.

Alec20

Novice
Hey guys, I came here to ask a question about Wiz 7's Automap mod if anyone has played it.

When I install it, it breaks the game for me - the dialogue with NPCs is messed up and breaks the game. Has anybody who used the mod ever been successful with it? Cause I might have to go with Gold instead. Just can't live without simple automaps anymore.

It worked fine for me. I think I used an exe version that got rid of the annoying copyright questions. I even used some Cosmic Forge modifications. (My legal version of the game came with an incomplete list and a txt file manual.)

The earliest saves I have now are in Chamber of Gorrors, wanna fight with 2xBeast1000Eyez and 2xFiends? With my overlevelled fairy ninja armed with Cand of Carpus they're like BANG-CRITICAL-BANG-CRITICAL-U DEFEATED THE MONSTERZ

Oh and I hope if in Wiz8 there're some ultimate optional bosses thougher that any other enemy in da game, Sir Tech gave them models different from generic trashmob's ones.

Or AT LEAST made some palette/texture swap.

I keep saves for all three happy endings of Wiz7, which will give the best start in Wiz8 - Umpani, T'Rang or Sky City one?

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
I'm getting near the end of Wizardry 8 and some thoughts...
* About 78 hours into the game according to Steam. Finally killed that damn sea monster and am at the Sea Caves. Haven't done much more than fought crabs, and found a chest with an Ankh, and a bunch of junk.
* Can't get a damn thing made from the smith in Rapax Castle. I just don't have any ingredients, can't even remember where I sold the silver ore for 30k when I was broke. Also, don't have any Hogar teeth... I think I have to find some because my Fighter is now using the Holy Bastard which still isn't that good.
* Killed Al-Sedexus on the first try (was surrounded by Templars, but cast a Freeze all and paralyzed about 5 out of 7. That was shocking as I was expecting to get 1 or 2. Without them beating on my mage or cleric, I could focus on her. Kinda hated to see her go...)
* Trying to play it cheat free but had to look up what to do with those damn papers in the Rapax Castle. I was pretty stuck.
* Was given the quest to destroy the T'Rang ship, and spent about 5 hours clearing out the T'Rang base... and then just felt bad, and went back to an earlier reload. Kinda sucked because I got some good monk armor and that staff. Ah well, if I speak to T'Ant or whatever he calls me traitors and fights, so I just don't talk to him.
* Can't get over how much it seems I'm missing by not having a gadgeteer or bard... think I made a mistake...
* Highest level char is 19, most effective character by far is the Felpurr Lord with Sword and Shield. Don't know why, it's actually a crappy combination. However, she hits about 3x a round consistently. She was cursed with that Ebony sword very early in the game and I didn't get uncurse until level 12 or so. By that time, I said to hell with it and just left here with that combo. Has 100 St/100 Dex, and I'm finally putting some points in Piety.
* Even though this game can be brutal, there is a HUGE feeling of accomplishment making it through a tough fight with no one dead at the end. One of the hardest experiences was not with a boss, but just fighting to the door to Rapax Castle.

Either way, so far, so good. Once I find Marten, I'm off to Ascension peak, but first going to Trynnie village to murder Hogars until I get a tooth.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
Good jorb.

Thanks. The quest continues on Wizardry 8...

* Made my way through the Sea Caves and looted the place/Spoke with Mad Marten. Excellent voice acting and story. Ran around for hours before I realized I had the hook and line in my inventory while looking for something else. After that, everything else fell into place. Found the boots which I thought was pretty nice. Now that I think about it, I should have gone back to the other areas with the seaweed/etc. Dang. Killed my party hitting the wall with the sledgehammer. Glad I wasn't playing ironman or I would have kicked my screen in.

* Now have all three items. Went back to some areas to clean some stuff up (the tomb in the SE Wilderness, near Rapax Rift, which I couldn't survive before, on the same screen finally found the entrance to Ascension Peak. Didn't go there at the time but set recall.) Just spoke with winged guy, bought another Healing Amulet.

* This is the part where it started getting almost maddening. T'Rang wouldn't talk to me/attacked me as traitor. This I thought was a bug but I wanted to talk to T'Ant and googled to find out you could put an Umpani Flag on him or something and he would go to "non-harsh" dialogue. I put the T'Rang Arm on him and that worked. Now I also read on the same page about the Rapax away camp. So, even though it was something I would have missed, off I went.

* Finally found that stupid damn camp after going at the area from 3 different directions. Rapax were all nice to me. Got key from King, as we were pals. Went to prisoners, joined the party. Climbed down tree, both prisoners died in two rounds. Almost lost my mind trying to kill archers while getting surrounded by Templars.

Tried different ways, but eventually used my knowledge from my (abandoned) T'Rang base clearing strategy. Factions don't turn completely hostile by killing some, it takes some effort. Started the area by climbing the archer stands and killing them first. Killed two stands and the camp was still neutral. Then went and killed the king to turn everyone hostile. Made my stand in his tent and that worked to protect mages. Sill had to fight the archer stand near the king. Would help if my archer actually had Eagle Eye, but again, I didn't read or do much research before diving in. Archer is level 19 with a Senses of 93 or so. Probably will never get it. Freed prisoners, spoke with queen after wiping camp. I didn't know what to do with her so I left here there. Prince disappeared. Either way, for allowing me to find different ways to do this area, it was a further reminder that this game is so very brilliant in areas. Also, after clearing the base found a path behind the stockade. Dang.

* Went through a lot of borax and eventually shot down the Black Ship. Felt good, man.

* Went to assemble the team (back to Vi and RFS-81, figure Vi will have something to do with the end, but don’t know. They don’t force you to take her to Ascension Peak, so maybe not.) Couldn't find RFS-81. Fought my way through horrors of timewasting combat in the swamp (Death Apexs and your 4 ranged attacks that drag out combat as I rotate constantly back and forth… why?) to the hut where I found RFS-81. He wasn't there. Well, I'll just swear more and fight 900 Tanto Wasps.

* Finally found RFS-81 where I left him. I don't know why I went back to Arnika. Son of a… At least there were no random encounters on the… big church and tomb map as I call it. As soon as he was in, suited him up and teleported to…

* Entrance to Ascension peak (set recall spell there when i first found it. Set other from mage near T'Rang teleporter.) Walked through, spoke with and fought some weak Rapax. Ok, another few fights and I'm done. Nope. After the fight there was a goddamn wall there blocking progress! Come on! Fuck you DW Bradley! That was soooo disappointing...

I looked at my inventory for some means to blow that wall up, but just … I don’t know. I have no idea how to get to the other side and nobody said there was a damn wall. Will go back and talk to all NPC's, and if I don't find the way in an hour, I'll Google it. I’m sure I’m still 10 hours of fights away from the end. That bitch who took my money at the Inn for not ratting me out to the T'Rang (who still were hostile to me anyways) probably is being held hostage by 100 Rapax wizards or something and I'll have to save her to get the answer.

The most frustrating part for me now is just simple math. Every enemy, even level 10 or so creatures have over 75 hps. There just is no damn way to speed up fights even with mobs that give almost no experience because the mage spells just don’t do shit. I have a 77 in Power Cast, 91 in Fire magic and the most I’ve ever done on a single enemy with Fireball is 51 hps. Total shit.

Note: Also, think I inadvertently found an infinite XP loop (but not very useful this late in the game.) Had Rodan and Druzic in my party. Was running to just get it over with, didn’t care about Druzics crappy endurance. Druzic went unconscious and party stopped running. Rodan left the party saying he wouldn’t proceed without Druzic, who is still there! Initiated dialogue with Rodan and bribed him with 500 gold (didn’t do anything) and then a Napalm Bomb (that worked.) He joined my party and went through the same dialogue as when he first joined. I then got 100,000 another xp per party member. Wondering if I can just keep kicking him out and re-adding him. May test tonight but have saves if anyone wants to try at home.

Tonight, I will be home at 8:30 pm and I don’t care if I’m up until 5:00 am, I’m finishing this damn game.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
Yeah, you ain't kidding. It was 1:00 am and I quit after defeating Pee-Wee.
I also screwed up the first question I got. What does the Chaos Milori bring? I answered change. Technically, it's right! But that was the wrong answer. I reloaded and tried again with Chaos (oy!) and that worked. I'm assuming there is a question for each, and I'm hoping they all aren't as literal. I'm kind of infatuated with just seeing what happens if I get the question wrong and just let ... robot-man disappear. So far, the fights have been challenging but I've done ok.

It helped that I spent everything I could before I left for this area. I bought the 150k helmet in Rapax Castle for my Lord. It regens 2 sp per round as well as +1 hp/+1 stam. Almost unlimited healing out of combat. The fight against the Greater Demon and three Wind Spirits killed half the party through spamming of Death Cloud. I spread around scrolls and Dust of Resurrection before I left for this area, which turned out to be pretty savvy. I had more deaths in that fight than I have had in the entire game combined. About 8 (mage died 3x.) It was brutal, but I had everyone alive in to kill the last enemy, a paralyzed Wind Spirit (bought all the Mystic Arrows in Rapax castle as well.)

Those arrows and lightening bolts are two things i've had in inventory for most of the game, but I've been too afraid of using them, but now I have 300 or so of each. I might as well.
Going to try to finish it again tonight.

DraQ

Arcane
I looked at my inventory for some means to blow that wall up, but just … I don’t know. I have no idea how to get to the other side and nobody said there was a damn wall. Will go back and talk to all NPC's, and if I don't find the way in an hour, I'll Google it.
Oh, FFS.
:rpgcodex:
I'm starting to understand why the devs just stop bothering with this directions and dialogue and figuring shit out, opting to put quest compasses everywhere instead.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
Oh, FFS.
:rpgcodex:
I'm starting to understand why the devs just stop bothering with this directions and dialogue and figuring shit out, opting to put quest compasses everywhere instead.
Meh. Every part of the game had hints in my journal, yet 80 hours into the game there isn't anything. It's not that I can't handle tough spots, its just that a game grooms your expectations as you go along. I did eventually figure it out because I did what I said I'd do - I went back and spoke to NPCs - but like a lot of areas I didn't catch the one sentence from some guy somewhere that alludes to the proper path, and most of the time playing, it was pretty damn late. I'd say 20 out of the 80 hours I played this, I spent trying to figure out what to do next (going to the wrong location for a quest, npc, or trying to find the Sea Caves.)

I'm sure if they finished this game with proper budgeting, they would have had something in that there Journal about the other path. Also, like it or not, people just don't play games with a notepad beside them anymore.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
Make screenshots, dude.
Sorry. Jeez - didn't even think of that. I actually finished the game last night, and man am I beat. Glad to finish it, and thought the ending was a nice conclusion. Finished it at 92 hours... oy!

This trip to Ascension peak didn't go too well. While I usually hoover the mouse over new enemies I didn't *really* think she'd go insane with the summons (note: I was wrong.)

HereLiesMadness.png

This is probably why DraQ may be right about people needing quest compasses and such. I really blanked on these here riddles. Just played too much of the game at night...

badatriddles.png

He sounded so hurt! Big props to the voice actors in this game... of course... now I have to NOT disarm the bomb and get to this point...

Hesoundssohurt.png

Thanks winged guy for all you've done for me, which amounted to nothing. What? Well, just think how much time I'd waste if he didn't show me where the Dark Lord went...

thanksasshole.png

Just think, for showing up and flying through the portal and contribution nothing, I guess that winged guy gets to be a Cosmic Lord too. What a gyp!

EveryoneIsCosmicLord.png

And in case you are wondering what ending I took, I tore the page out.

May replay it tonight to see the other endings. All I could think of during the game is... I really should play Wizardry 7 again...

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
Such a fucking awesome game.
There really isn't anything like it. I don't know if there has ever been a game I played that I bitched so much while playing it, but become this obsessed with it and felt bad when it was over? I guess I'll just say that when it hit, it really, really hit. Playing it and feeling good when things are working out and just exploring, yelling at my computer when I answer the last riddle then have to backtrack and fight 4 more random encounter battles. Was crazy about the options presented, and liked playing most of it "chips fall where they may."

Was afraid to start it for years because I heard it was frustrating, but while I'm sure people spoke on the excellent writing, I never picked up on that.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Yeah, most people focus on what they perceive to be a negative.
Frustrating... not so much.
Goddamn challenging? Hell yes.
But even that fades away after you get used to things. And you're left with nothing but a good game at the core of it all.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom