Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 3 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
Get out of here! Gothic had a nice combat system. You could slash in diferent directions, block and timing was important. As I remember it, only dodging was bad.
Yeah, gtfo with Gothic (who even brought that up??) - it's a Witcher thread ffs.

Gothic combat vs Witcher combat - which is better and why?

Gothic actually has one of the shittiest combat systems ever designed, and there really isn't much in the game to offset that shittiness either.
considering that CDProjekt is marketing their games as "Gothic-like" it sure says a lot about Witcher games :lol::lol::lol:

uaciaut

Augur
TW2's main issue was that dodging did not cost vigor, while parrying, casting spells, etc did, and having less vigor affected damage as well. It would've been a far combat system if that change was made.

Other than that i don't find it particularly atrocious.

Anyway i've recently seen that gameplay footage recently too, i hope they don't try to go too skyrim'esque in their efforts to make that highly-proclaimed "open world" of theirs and forgo important things, like actually making important decisions that seem meaningful rather than "ally with witches ally with corrupt tree-root both are EVIL MORAL AMBIGUITY COMPROMISES CORRUPTION RAAWWRR".

I trust that the restrictions created by the fact that the story's already well out-lined to at least partly prevent that though so i'm not THAT worried.

I also hope they don't rush things too much here as well, TW2 seemed to have some really odd plot-holes at times that were compensated through awkward/bad writing and cringy cutscenes.

Also hope they try to make more effort into presenting the story. I have no problem with not knowing everything from the get-go and discovering the world, characters, motivation as we move along, especially given that i'm playing a main character with amnesia, but at least in TW2 it kinda seemed you needed to have read the books or be decently informed about them to put everything together on the first play-though, even mid-way into the game.
Although by the end you get the gist of everything, especially if you do 2 playthroughs on the different paths.

Gerrard

Arcane
Get out of here! Gothic had a nice combat system. You could slash in diferent directions, block and timing was important. As I remember it, only dodging was bad.
Yeah, the concept looks nice on paper, too bad the execution was a clunky clusterfuck worse than anything Bethesda ever made.
I'm starting to think Gothic has a serious case of nostalgia goggles for a lot of people here.

garren

Arcane
Patron
Git gud. I played Gothic the first time a couple of years back and the combat system was, after the first few hours of learning the ropes, surprisingly deep and satisfying once you got to know it.

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
1365051991260.jpg

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Gothic actually has one of the shittiest combat systems ever designed, and there really isn't much in the game to offset that shittiness either.

You must be joking. Right?

Yeah, the concept looks nice on paper, too bad the execution was a clunky clusterfuck worse than anything Bethesda ever made.
I'm starting to think Gothic has a serious case of nostalgia goggles for a lot of people here.

Nope.

GTFO

cjbulanda

Literate
TW2's main issue was that dodging did not cost vigor, while parrying, casting spells, etc did, and having less vigor affected damage as well. It would've been a far combat system if that change was made.

Other than that i don't find it particularly atrocious.

You overestimate the combat system then. Sure it was an improvement over the witcher 1 but the tactic for all of witcher 2 combat was "Quen, roll in, stab, roll out". Dont see how thats amazing

Nihiliste

Arcane
Patron
I enjoyed the previous two games in the series but after seeing the empty and meaningless waste that is DA:I I'm concerned by TW3's emphasis on world size and obvious bethesda influence. The world really doesn't need more pointless fetch quests and time sinks in its rpgs/arpgs

SarcasticUndertones

Prospernaut
Is every game that has a big open world going to be considered a Bethesda ripoff? Can't it just have a big world because that's what most(?) of us want and it was designed that way? Let's face it, when worldbuilding an involved rpg that kind of design is a natural, it's kind of 'end point' for rpg worlds. What's the alternative? Corridors and instances?

I rather have a big world everytime, you may call it what you wish.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron

If there's one game I would agree the Codex has large nostalgia-goggles for it's the original Gothic. Clunky as fuck game without the later PB wit and charm, in my opinion. Still decent, but not amazing. Gothic 2 however earns every bit of its sterling reputation.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Nah you're just a shit poster with shit taste.

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Is every game that has a big open world going to be considered a Bethesda ripoff? Can't it just have a big world because that's what most(?) of us want and it was designed that way? Let's face it, when worldbuilding an involved rpg that kind of design is a natural, it's kind of 'end point' for rpg worlds. What's the alternative? Corridors and instances?

I rather have a big world everytime, you may call it what you wish.
I prefer reactive world, complex plot, excellent systems. If those are good enough, then the game can be set in a single building.

Skyrim has an open world, but it's a silly and boring one.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
$39.50 after discount.
Release date Feb' 2015
Worth it?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom