Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 3 GOTY Edition

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I'm kind of baffled at the travel complaint because the signposts are well spread out and you run super fast. I never felt like I was far from a travel point, and having to at least get to a road helps with immersing yourself in the world. Too many babies raised on Oblivion I guess.

I agree the "sweep the map of exclamation points" design is a bit OCD lame-o though.

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
Played through the first part of Skellig and it's way better than Novigrad. I haven't advanced very far in the replacing the king storyline, but Yen's storyline is so much more interesting than Triss'. The Necromancer quest and how it tied in with the werewolf stuff, and especially the dead boy who had a crush on Ciri (which was very affecting), was probably my favorite questline behind the Bloody Baron. I wish I had romanced Yen instead as she's actually an interesting character and has an interesting history with Geralt. The jinn stuff was very well done too and had some memorable moments (the ship stuck in the snow on the top of the mountain was a nice bit of surrealism). Triss is just so dull in comparison, but I'm achievement whoring and you need to romance Triss over Yen to get an achievement (sucks).

I wonder if it's documented anywhere who wrote which quests. It'd be interesting to see if the good stuff was all done by the same people. That questline especially reminded me of the best stuff in the Velen quests.

Also, now that I have my full Northern Realms deck for Gwent, I basically broke the game. Northerners are so OP it's not funny. The key to success: get a hand with 3-4 spy cards, 2-3 "grab a card and replace it with a dummy" cards, and 2 resurrect cards. Especially if the other player has the grab cards or spies of their own, you can cycle through your entire deck in one game by continually reusing spy cards to draw 2 extra cards. I thought the "score 184 in a single round" achievement would be difficult to get, but I once played all 23 of my cards and had 250 points in single round. I don't see how any of the other decks can compete as there's nothing that can counter spy cards.

Last edited:

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Played through the first part of Skellig and it's way better than Novigrad. I haven't advanced very far in the replacing the king storyline, but Yen's storyline is so much more interesting than Triss'. The Necromancer quest and how it tied in with the werewolf stuff, and especially the dead boy who had a crush on Ciri (which was ver affecting), was probably my favorite questline behind the Bloody Baron. I wish I had romanced Yen instead as she's actually an interesting character and has an interesting history with Geralt. The jinn stuff was very well done too and had some memorable moments (the ship stuck in the snow on the top of the mountain was a nice bit of surrealism). Triss is just so dull in comparison, but I'm achievement whoring and you need to romance Triss over Yen to get an achievement (sucks).

I wonder if it's documented anywhere who wrote which quests. It'd be interesting to see if the good stuff was all done by the same people.

Aren't you way over leveled for Skellig after doing the complete Novigrad quests? I first wanted to finish Novigrad as well, but then decided to stop halfway to go to Skellig after noticing that I was outleveling the quests there.

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
Aren't you way over leveled for Skellig after doing the complete Novigrad quests? I first wanted to finish Novigrad as well, but then decided to stop halfway to go to Skellig after noticing that I was outleveling the quests there.

Yeah, it sucks. I'm getting like 6 experience points for all of the main skellig quests. I'm realizing now that they were meant to be played simultaneously, hopping back and forth, but my OCD makes me want to finish an area before moving to the next. However, all of the side stuff in Skellig seems designed for late game. Many of the random monster encounters and side quests are level 30+.

Beowulf

Arcane
The best part is, that level "requirement" for the quest about travelling to Skellige Islands is higher, than for the quests you will get in Skellige.
Nice bit of forward thinking there, devs.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Getting overleveled is the prerequisite for completely turning the game into a nice interactive movie. Unless you install level scaling mods, but I've never done that. The reflexes-based combat just doesn't interest me all that much.

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
Combat is never challenging anyway as long as you know which key is the roll key, so who cares about over-leveling. :shittydog:

It's weird people bitch about rolling in this game when I don't think I've used roll more than a dozen times in the whole game. Dodge works much better, especially once you upgrade it to blocking 100% damage. You can stand in the middle of a group of monsters and just infinitely dodge without taking any damage and dodging is much easier to control positioning with. You can even dodge forward toward an enemy as they attack you and you will completely pass through their attack. Roll only makes sense if you want to position yourself further away in order to throw a bomb.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
It's weird people bitch about rolling in this game when I don't think I've used roll more than a dozen times in the whole game. Dodge works much better, especially once you upgrade it to blocking 100% damage. You can stand in the middle of a group of monsters and just infinitely dodge without taking any damage and dodging is much easier to control positioning with. You can even dodge forward toward an enemy as they attack you and you will completely pass through their attack. Roll only makes sense if you want to position yourself further away in order to throw a bomb.

I wasn't really "bitching" about rolling, just saying combat is pretty trivial on normal mode anyway so I never noticed much what level of enemies I was fighting unless I stumbled into something 10+ levels higher with some quick attack ability.

As for dodge vs. roll I honestly don't remember the difference that well but I assume dodging is a key press close to the enemy that parries while roll gets you out of the area. I always play agile/distance characters so I probably just navigated naturally to that. For me the goal is not being hit at all, not being close to the enemy at all unless I'm hitting them, so I roll in and roll out. I'm not sure if Witcher 2 had dodge either, I rolled all over the place in that game.

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
I didn't mean you specifically bitching about roll, just the general complaint that there's too much rolling in the game. I agree with the complaints, though. Roll is stupid in terms of the universe, not to mention in terms of basic physics. I don't understand why the devs included it when dodge looks better and works just as well.

I have no idea how it became such a staple game mechanic as it's not like it's derived from anything in the real world. Human beings can't roll like characters in video games do. Someone should find the first 3rd person action game to use rolling as a defensive technique. Was it the Souls games?

Wunderbar

Arcane
Roll is stupid in terms of the universe, not to mention in terms of basic physics. I don't understand why the devs included it when dodge looks better and works just as well.
roll lowers your character's hitbox, so it makes sense to dive under the gunfire or someone's melee swing.
Someone should find the first 3rd person action game to use rolling as a defensive technique. Was it the Souls games?
rolling was in popamole shooters like Gears of War before the first souls game, it was in Severance Blade of Darkness long before popamole shooters (although it was Amazon's exclusive feature).

Last edited:

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
rolling was in popamole shooters like Gears of War before the first souls game, it was in Severance Blade of Darkness long before popamole shooters (although it was Amazon's exclusive feature).
Another reason why Barbarian is the superlative choice.

Doktor Best

Arcane
I didn't mean you specifically bitching about roll, just the general complaint that there's too much rolling in the game. I agree with the complaints, though. Roll is stupid in terms of the universe, not to mention in terms of basic physics. I don't understand why the devs included it when dodge looks better and works just as well.

Dodge is the go-to move for basic avoidance of melee attacks whereas the dodge-roll is for large, sweeping strikes from bigger enemies. They wanted to give you options and i kind of like it actually. The problem with the combat system lies elsewhere.

I heard good things about Witcher 3 EE, gonna use that mod for my next playthrough (whenever that will be)

The open world icon quests are average to slightly above average for an AC type open world game

Are you maybe talking about POIs? Those are not quests.

Falksi

Arcane
Played through the first part of Skellig and it's way better than Novigrad. I haven't advanced very far in the replacing the king storyline, but Yen's storyline is so much more interesting than Triss'. The Necromancer quest and how it tied in with the werewolf stuff, and especially the dead boy who had a crush on Ciri (which was very affecting), was probably my favorite questline behind the Bloody Baron. I wish I had romanced Yen instead as she's actually an interesting character and has an interesting history with Geralt. The jinn stuff was very well done too and had some memorable moments (the ship stuck in the snow on the top of the mountain was a nice bit of surrealism). Triss is just so dull in comparison, but I'm achievement whoring and you need to romance Triss over Yen to get an achievement (sucks).

I wonder if it's documented anywhere who wrote which quests. It'd be interesting to see if the good stuff was all done by the same people. That questline especially reminded me of the best stuff in the Velen quests.

Also, now that I have my full Northern Realms deck for Gwent, I basically broke the game. Northerners are so OP it's not funny. The key to success: get a hand with 3-4 spy cards, 2-3 "grab a card and replace it with a dummy" cards, and 2 resurrect cards. Especially if the other player has the grab cards or spies of their own, you can cycle through your entire deck in one game by continually reusing spy cards to draw 2 extra cards. I thought the "score 184 in a single round" achievement would be difficult to get, but I once played all 23 of my cards and had 250 points in single round. I don't see how any of the other decks can compete as there's nothing that can counter spy cards.

Skellig was for me by far & away the most interesting part of the main game too after The Bloody Baron.

If I were advising anyone to get the most out of TW3 I'd say play a handful of handpicked quests such as Carnal Sins & Fools Gold, ignore most of Velen & Novidrag's other side-content, and play through Skellig + the Expansions as you wish.

It's not that TW3's a bad game, it just so embodies the modern tard-focussed mentality of over-filling everything with junk & pointless, dull, repetitive shit. I hate how much praise it gets because - much like when Skyrim was released and hailed as "da bezt" - the changes of direction which it takes from it's earlier entries is actually one of decline.

Loostreaks

Learned
:D
Skellig was for me by far & away the most interesting part of the main game too after The Bloody Baron.

If I were advising anyone to get the most out of TW3 I'd say play a handful of handpicked quests such as Carnal Sins & Fools Gold, ignore most of Velen & Novidrag's other side-content, and play through Skellig + the Expansions as you wish.

It's not that TW3's a bad game, it just so embodies the modern tard-focussed mentality of over-filling everything with junk & pointless, dull, repetitive shit. I hate how much praise it gets because - much like when Skyrim was released and hailed as "da bezt" - the changes of direction which it takes from it's earlier entries is actually one of decline.

Lol, you need help Celerity-lite.

Turn off your computer, go out, breathe it all in, then Falksi decides to go to a bar. And as he steps in and starts yelling at everyone around him, suddenly he realizes: he's all so angry and alone.

But then!...a beautiful, young girl approaches:

"Shhh, it will be alright, I really think you're cute!

And she holds out her hand and for the first time in his life, Falksi feels at peace and a warm, tingling feeling passes through him.

Of course, you'll need to slip her some money first, to see that happen. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Falksi

Arcane
:D

Lol, you need help Celerity-lite.

Turn off your computer, go out, breathe it all in, then Falksi decides to go to a bar. And as he steps in and starts yelling at everyone around him, suddenly he realizes: he's all so angry and alone.

But then!...a beautiful, young girl approaches:

"Shhh, it will be alright, I really think you're cute!

And she holds out her hand and for the first time in his life, Falksi feels at peace and a warm, tingling feeling passes through him.

Of course, you'll need to slip her some money first, to see that happen. :lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol: :salute:

Not angry about it mate, just on a bit of a mission to draw attention to it & spread awareness of it.

After Skyrim's success & sunbsequent "Open worldz r acest" fad, where even potentially great games (such as TW3) seemed to force badly done Open World's into the mix for the sake of it, I'm just keen for that trend of Bloat to stop.

Quality over quantity any day.

Gerrard

Arcane
At least it doesn't have invulnerability frames. :troll:

Problem is when you make a town in an open-world RPG look real
A realistic medieval city is nowhere near as big as Novigrad. Except maybe for Constantinople, Paris, Naples, etc.
Witcher. Is. Not. Set. In. Medieval. Europe.

Also Novigrad was said to be 30K big in the short novels, the city you see in the game is at most a quarter of that, if even. There were 19 temples of the Eternal Flame, go ahead and fit them in the game version.

Last edited:

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
A realistic medieval city is nowhere near as big as Novigrad. Except maybe for Constantinople, Paris, Naples, etc.

Also Novigrad was said to be 30K big in the short novels, the city you see in the game is at most a quarter of that, if even. There were 19 temples of the Eternal Flame, go ahead and fit them in the game version.

30k inhabitants, not accounting for all the visiting merchants and their men, 4 huge water mills, 8 banks, 19 pawn shops, 35 inns, 12 brothels and "a lot" of temples.

Gerrard

Arcane
The 19 Eternal Flame temples were mentioned in particular
For it is a well-known fact that no vexling, absolutely no vexling, nor any other monster, could even approach the walls of Novigrad, because here, in nineteen temples, burns the Eternal Fire, whose sacred power protects the city.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

30k inhabitants, not accounting for all the visiting merchants and their men, 4 huge water mills, 8 banks, 19 pawn shops, 35 inns, 12 brothels and "a lot" of temples.
I've read the same thing, and I know it's pretty crazy. Hence my comment.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I have no idea how it became such a staple game mechanic as it's not like it's derived from anything in the real world. Human beings can't roll like characters in video games do. Someone should find the first 3rd person action game to use rolling as a defensive technique. Was it the Souls games?

I don't really give two shits about realism honestly, I always saw Geralt as a fantasy jedi. The rolling works just fine for me. *shrug*

Beowulf

Arcane
In the books, he was so fast, that he was doing pirouettes around the enemies.
Rolling and pirouettes are the same thing really - rolling around an axis, just on a different plane.

So in that case the devs stayed 90° true to the source material.

Amerilias

Educated
This is complete history of creating Witcher games - from developers , programmers , artists points of view , with lots of funny stories and with english subtitles .

from November 1997 when Metropolis Software led by Adam Chmielarz announced The Witcher computer game in poilish video magazines....

Last edited:

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Getting overleveled is the prerequisite for completely turning the game into a nice interactive movie. Unless you install level scaling mods, but I've never done that. The reflexes-based combat just doesn't interest me all that much.

You know that there is a "Just the story" difficulty setting?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom