Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 3 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
But dont nvidia codes usually offer Steam keys, not GOG?
They are doing this promo together with CDProjekt, who are also the owner of GOG - that is why these are GOG keys. CDP probably wants as many people owning the game on GOG as possible, promoting their own platform and because then those people may buy the expansion pass on GOG, giving them a bigger cut.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
But dont nvidia codes usually offer Steam keys, not GOG?
They are doing this promo together with CDProjekt, who are also the owner of GOG - that is why these are GOG keys. CDP probably wants as many people owning the game on GOG as possible, promoting their own platform and because then those people may buy the expansion pass on GOG, giving them a bigger cut.

I mean.. it shouldn't be hard.. Valve is going full retard these days..

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
Apparently some electronics retailers in PL started selling W3 for ~15 EUR. It's a steelbook with a t-shirt...

...but without the game. You get like 8 EUR off when you buy the normal edition and show a receipt for this steelbook. Lolz.

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Well, that was fun. Looking up the gamespot videos and some other stuff. Minus points for hiver vs immortal pointless insult fight in the thread.

Looks like potato Assassins Creed/Dark Souls mixup with dialogues and C&C. Visually it looks fucking awesome. Really like how the characters look, especially women when you compare it to the mutants in the new Dragon Age where barely anyone looked like a human.
Still a month away, prob gonna get it on GoG in the next few weeks.

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2

So I clicked the link...

uNzxKhC.png

....and why, of course I meant "pitcher 3"!!! Damn, these search engines are good! How did they know I'm an appreciator of fine silverware? Inb4 SkyNet! Anyway, behold! What a lovely pitcher I was prompted with! Fucking hell it's well worth more than TWitcher3, for sure! Just imagine it being filled with eggnog at Christmas, or with Margarita on a hot August afternoon! My silver pitcher will surely bring all the cool kids to the yard!

a9fNv0y.png

PS - I also went on and tried buying one of those TW3 keys. Let's see if they're actually working or a scam.

Last edited:

Shadenuat

Arcane
The idea may have been ok but the execution is terribald through and through, so how can you like the writing of it?
I like simple quests that then draw you into what is happening in the world. I didn't watch the quest content since it seemed p. banal - Geralt fought a standard monster and was running around commenting on stuff, so I skipped it and only watched the beginning of the quest and end where he brings they guy in.

Last edited:

hiver

Again he either says it here.. or you go back to the merchant and then magically there is a dialogue tree option for the arrow.

No, if you don't inspect the horse, there will be no option to discuss the arrow with the quest giver.

We dont know what happens if you dont inspect the horse and then try going back to the guy.

But once you do inspect the horse then Geralt tells you what it means and what you should do.

The idea may have been ok but the execution is terribald through and through, so how can you like the writing of it?
I like simple quests that then draw you into what is happening in the world. I didn't watch the quest content since it seemed p. banal - Geralt fought a standard monster and was running around commenting on stuff, so I skipped it and only watched the beginning of the quest and end where he brings they guy in.
Well, that ending was pretty terribald in execution too but fine ok. Whatever.

norolim

Arcane
We dont know what happens if you dont inspect the horse and then try going back to the guy.
Did you read the post I linked to?

GingerEffect said:
If you just search for the box and don't bother with anything else, you can come back to the merchant just fine. The quest does not prompt you to investigate more until you actively investigate something that is out of place but not necessarily the box.

GingerEffect said:
If you don't bother to further investigate, you will not have the option to expose his lies.

hiver

No i didnt. Obviously.
Who is that? Some "journalist"? Gets automatically branded as a dorito munching shill until proven innocent of course.

Be that a it may, i would say that is expected result.
Simple to "code" stuff. The game sees if you clicked on the horse and the body or not. Gives or removes dialogue options depending on that.

What i am actually objecting to is that once you click on the horse who visibly has an arrow in it - the Geralt tells the player what that means.

"An arrow, interesting, didnt mention this. i should take a look around."

In case of the body his comments are more appropriate since you cannot see the details of that wound yourself - and he doesnt tell you what that actually means. Atleast at first.

"Square in the neck, good shot."

And then you get a flashy "Quest updated!" sign.

"Either the merchants got serious memory issues, or hes lying"
Says Geralt then.

Since the setup is painfully simple: a guy tells you about bad monsters killing his horse but you find an arrow sticking out of it, and an arrow wound in the body there - while the guy has a bow strapped over his back - such measures are an incredible dumbing down for morons features.

Of course the whole quest is stupid convoluted crap in numerous ways i numbered in answer to the Perkel post previously, but here im just talking about this specific small issue.

Last edited by a moderator:

PhantasmaNL

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria
The quest shown is extremely simple but as much as you can expect i guess in a sidequest. And they probably shown one of the "best" too. The fact that the roadside guy has a huge bow equipped is indeed pretty dumb.

I dont mind geralt mumbling to himself (the player)all the time as a way of exposition but his voice is so annoying, damn.

norolim

Arcane
No i didnt. Obviously.
Who is that? Some "journalist"? Gets automatically branded as a dorito munching shill until proven innocent of course.

What i am actually objecting to is that once you click on the horse who visibly has an arrow in it - the Geralt tells the player what that means.
I'm not going to do everything for you. Go to the post, read it, take a look at the man's avatar and description. All the answers are there.

Btw. I agree with you that Geralt tells the player too much, but apparently it's just a prologue area quest. So my hope is, most other quests won't hold your hand that much.

hiver

I dont give a fuck who that guy is and wont go see anything - because it doesnt matter.
I just said that such "reactivity" is minimum that is expected.

Previously i said we dont know what happens - because it wasnt shown inthe video, you pointed out we do because someone described it - and i said ok fine.

And they probably shown one of the "best" too.
If thats the best ... im going to puke playing the game.

Last edited by a moderator:

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
There is no meta knowledge about foul play.. he states exactly what you know as a player.. Again he either says it here.. or you go back to the merchant and then magically there is a dialogue tree option for the arrow.
I agree that Geralt commenting on that stuff is alright and maybe even necessary. The problem for me is that it's some goddamn boring quest design, just looking around for a few seconds before Geralt solves the "mystery" on his own. What's the point? It would be much more interesting if there was at least a little of actual detective work involved, like gathering the available clues and then trying to fit the pieces together, perhaps being able to choose from two or three different dialogue options that would lead to different outcomes. It perhaps wouldn't work with this particular setup (it's immediately obvious that the guy is guilty as hell, even without Geralt's help), but with some minor changes it would be viable, and TW1 had something similar as well with a couple of quests.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Commenting Geralt is idiotic how can anyone deny that? Plus the "Eagle Eye" mechanics...they should've put a button "Press X to solve the quest" instead. Less work for them and their target audience wouldn't mind. After all they love The Walking Dead "adventure". Press triangle to kill a zombie. Press a circle to win the game. Have a star.

The dumbing down oozing from that quest is intense. I truly hope it's not all we'll get in this "200 hours" game.

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
they should've put a button "Press X to solve the quest" instead.

That's actually a BioWare trademark. Nobody else can implement the Hawksome button. Nobody. Their trademark. Theirs only.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom