Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 3 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
There is talk on the Witcher forums that the game has switched from level unlocks on items like weapons and armour to level scaling on drops.

No, weapons don't scale. It's more like when you're too low level you can still wield the weapon and have its base effects but only when you reach a high enough level will you unlock the 'full' stats of the weapon.
Scrap that, apparently they do. Picking up a lvl 20 weapon at lvl 17 will permanently make it a lvl 17 weapon. Sounds pretty shit.
That is retarded as fuck.
Umm, yeah, it's actually so retarded that I doubt it will work that way.

Sykar

Arcane
I will never understand that scaling crap. In my soon 30 years of gaming I never had a god damn problem with no level scaling and most games with level scaling were mediocre to outright shit. Am I glad UnderRail doesn't have retarded level scaling, it's just unneeded pandering to retarded masses who can't handle the fact that sometimes you might get into a situation in which retreat is a valid tactical option and just want to "herp derp" easy mode through shitty LBGTBDSM romance filled braindead meaningless choices shit RPGs.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I will never understand that scaling crap. In my soon 30 years of gaming I never had a god damn problem with no level scaling and most games with level scaling were mediocre to outright shit. Am I glad UnderRail doesn't have retarded level scaling, it's just unneeded pandering to retarded masses who can't handle the fact that sometimes you might get into a situation in which retreat is a valid tactical option and just want to "herp derp" easy mode through shitty LBGTBDSM romance filled braindead meaningless choices shit RPGs.

That's not relevant, we're talking about scaling items, not enemies

If that's really true, my guess is that the system is set up so that weapons and armor are the main determinant of your power level, so getting too-powerful weapons early would really crush the difficulty level.

Sykar

Arcane

That's not relevant, we're talking about scaling items, not enemies

If that's really true, my guess is that the system is set up so that weapons and armor are the main determinant of your power level, so getting too-powerful weapons early would really crush the difficulty level.

It is not too difficult to place powerful items late in the game and there is no reason for level scaling at all.

Dreaad

Arcane
Deep in your subconscious mind spreading lies.
Yeah but these days an "open world" game means you should be able to leave the starting area, run in a straight line to the edge of the map killing everything in your path. If you restrict this option for a player then it's a terrible gaem. I still remember the butthurt of F: NV, people complaining and bitching about how they couldn't kill 30 deathclaws at level 1 and were forced to follow a road they didn't want to follow. Meanwhile Fallout 3 was GotY 10/10 best fallout of all time.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Cargo cult. Let's hype up how we're not scaling enemies to your level but scale loot instead.

Sothpaw

Learned
Scaling weapons? Has that ever happened before? I knew this game's combat would suck Bloodborne's dick but that sounds worse than I thought. Whatever though I guess; the prior two Witcher games had 100% trash combat anyway so it's not like anything of value will be lost. Witcher games have always been a fun 1-playthrough for the decent story then never play again as far as I'm concerned.

Modron

Arcane
Scaling weapons? Has that ever happened before? I knew this game's combat would suck Bloodborne's dick but that sounds worse than I thought. Whatever though I guess; the prior two Witcher games had 100% trash combat anyway so it's not like anything of value will be lost. Witcher games have always been a fun 1-playthrough for the decent story then never play again as far as I'm concerned.

Didn't skyrim do this with some unique quest reward items? At least, I think I recall there being mods such that you would get the maximum quality ones regardless of level.

Yep was right, check out http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Leveled_Items_(Skyrim) for the derp. (Granted everything you make could be endlessly better)

Sykar

Arcane
Yeah but these days an "open world" game means you should be able to leave the starting area, run in a straight line to the edge of the map killing everything in your path. If you restrict this option for a player then it's a terrible gaem. I still remember the butthurt of F: NV, people complaining and bitching about how they couldn't kill 30 deathclaws at level 1 and were forced to follow a road they didn't want to follow. Meanwhile Fallout 3 was GotY 10/10 best fallout of all time.

It was actually possible to get past these Deathclaws though. Just not with combat and it also takes some effort. But yeah, it really is silly how these pampered retards think they need to be awesome from first second and kill everything in a majestic manner.

Didn't skyrim do this with some unique quest reward items? At least, I think I recall there being mods such that you would get the maximum quality ones regardless of level.

Yep was right, check out http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Leveled_Items_(Skyrim) for the derp. (Granted everything you make could be endlessly better)

Bethderp at it's finest.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Wot? When you get a sword at low level, the thing will remain on that level? Hope it isn't that way, even Bethderp sort of abandoned this dumb bullshit with Skyrim in favor of a material system. You don't get Ebony at the start of the game but when you get Ebony, an ebony sword you get at level 16 is pretty much the same sword you can find at level 30 in terms of base damage. Being punished for grabbing loot too early is one of the most retarded ideas someone can have and you don't need to be a game designer to know this is bullshit, just a little of good sense but I hope this is a misunderstanding and they aren't doing Potatoblivion.

naossano

Cipher
Yeah but these days an "open world" game means you should be able to leave the starting area, run in a straight line to the edge of the map killing everything in your path. If you can actually do this on first attempt then it's a terrible game. (if even a game)

Fixed.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
You want to see real graphics? Newest star wars battlefront, first ever screenshot

126298549.jpg

Cadmus

Arcane
It looks fine, I like the bump mapping or what is it on the tree trunks.
TW3 looks great but the devil is in the art direction and I still haven't fully decided whether they managed to get it right.

Echo Mirage

Arcane
The word is that the pre-load for the Xbone is already available. The mysteries of the console gaming peasants may forever be hidden from me. But doesn't pre-loading a game 32 days before release seem a little...odd?

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
I dunno. There are a lot of assets they'll probably won't touch at this point. Things like textures, sound files, cinematics etc. There is no reason to not downaload it already, the game is big and some people have shitty Internet.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom