Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 3 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Fur effects sounds like the very first thing I turn off to have a higher framerate, no matter how acceptable the game is running.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Fur effects are nice and all but when you are in the middle of the combat you aren't going to stop and notice if the wolves have fur or not, so it is hard to justify the massive GPU load. If is better to have the double of the framerate than a few wolves having realistic fur.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
NERD.jpg

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Perhaps, but im talking about milk and here you come saying wise words about cheese.

Well if you're going to dismiss graphics as pretty much completely irrelevant I think it's important to note that visuals are still very important.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tech talk: http://www.dsogaming.com/interviews...n-physx-dx11-2-windows-8-global-illumination/

DSOGaming: Why did you create your own engine instead of licensing one, and what’s your opinion about both CRYENGINE and Unreal Engine 4?

GR: The short version: after our work on W1, which gave us a lot of experience with the Aurora engine, we concluded that ready-made solutions were not fully capable of giving us the creative freedom we were looking for. After evaluating different possibilities and exhaustive discussions we decided to start developing our own technology – technology that would fit our needs perfectly, not only in terms of rendering but also when it comes to tools. RPG games are very complex, so designers and artists require a lot of specialized solutions allowing them to create vast, believable worlds and compelling stories. We believe REDengine provides such support.

As for the available commercial engines, we are watching them closely. Companies like Crytek, Dice and Epic are pushing technological boundaries further and further every time they release new versions of their engines. We try not only to keep up the pace but we would also like to have our own impact on the technological development of solutions powering current AAA games.

BT: The big licensable engines are really great – there’s a team of experts behind them developing every little piece and this creates something that sets the bar really high for us – but we believe that these engines are also very general in their nature. We try to concentrate on all the features that make our engine and toolset especially good for making RPG games, and this specialization allows us to have a smaller team providing high quality solutions on par with the engines mentioned above. With that said, our engine is modular enough that it could be used to make different kinds of games if such a decision was made.

DSOGaming – Readers’ Question – How has native 64-bit affected the engine? How did you achieve a world 35 times larger than The Witcher 2 and what does it imply about the engine, performance, and requirements? Can you share any estimated minimum/recommended PC requirements?

GR: Well, 64-bit architecture gave us access to larger amounts of memory available for the game. I think that’s the biggest benefit. In general the transition to 64-bit went quite smoothly and seamlessly for us.

I admit that the size of the world we have in TW3 provided us with a considerable number of technical challenges. It pushed us to rewrite our streaming system, memory management and resource handling mechanisms. It also required a lot of enhancements from us to the tools used by designers and artists. Many things that were done manually in TW2 had to be automated now to allow us to fill the vast areas Geralt will travel through faster.

It will obviously cause TW3 to have higher requirements than previous installments of the game. But at this stage, without final optimizations, it’s hard to estimate what the minimum system requirements for comfortable playing will be. We will definitely work hard to make this game playable on most gaming PCs.

(excerpt shamelessly copypasted from GameBanshee)

poetic codex

Augur
Wow, that video reminded me about Todd Howard's presentation about Skyrim. What a bland let down Skyrim was, so hopefully Witcher 3 can fulfill most of their promises in this video.

I also wonder how much of that complex story they promise will become lost in translation from Polish to English because of all the special idioms and slang they use which are not really translatable.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I also wonder how much of that complex story they promise will become lost in translation from Polish to English because of all the special idioms and slang they use which are not really translatable.

As an English teacher who was revolted by Witcher's translation I can tell you Witcher 2 was much, much better. In fact 90% of the time it felt like it was written in English and not translated at all. So I don't really worry about this for Witcher 3.

Sodafish

Arcane
As an aside, I started reading the first novel in the series. I have to say, the weird series-of-vignettes style of writing isn't grabbing me. Are all the books done like this? Also, the prose seems a bit stilted, but perhaps this is from a poor translation of the potato.

Grinolf

Arcane
As an aside, I started reading the first novel in the series. I have to say, the weird series-of-vignettes style of writing isn't grabbing me. Are all the books done like this? Also, the prose seems a bit stilted, but perhaps this is from a poor translation of the potato.

Only first two books are collection of short stories. But several important storylines and introdution of some characters happened in these short stories, so they are needed for understanding of later events.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron

As an English teacher who was revolted by Witcher's translation I can tell you Witcher 2 was much, much better. In fact 90% of the time it felt like it was written in English and not translated at all.

Why thank you :salute:

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
The-Witcher_in-numbers_info-EN.jpg

Finally, I can jump around like a moron!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom