Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 2002 first footage

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Holy shit, one of the first builds, you could create your own witcher, graphics much better and non twitchy combat.

AND THEY SCRAPED THIS ?!

Unwanted

Fitz

Unwanted
This was back when they used NWN's Aurora engine, right?
Urgh, there it is really noticeable that they used the horrible piece of shit NWN engine.
Nope, the guy narrating said it was an repurposed fps engine. They used aurora after the initial project was scrapped, in part due to problems with the engine. Did you guys even watch the video?

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Yes I watched it for a minute while listening to music in the background so I didn't hear anything, just saw the footage. :M

Black_Willow

Arcane
LOL, it looked so bad at the time. Glad they reworked it.
Oh, and this was the first Witcher game vapourware:
nvId2.jpg

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Holy shit, one of the first builds, you could create your own witcher, graphics much better and non twitchy combat.

AND THEY SCRAPED THIS ?!

Ugly, bland action game "inspired by BG Dark Alliance" and you think that's incline?

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
He says you could set attributes and traits, something current witcher don't have.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

He says you could set attributes and traits, something current witcher don't have.
So what? He also said the programmer wanted it to be a short action game and the gameplay looked like a crap NWN clone at best.

Unwanted

Fitz

Unwanted
Pretty amazing what they did with the Aurora engine in the first Witcher...
Yeah, I'm looking forward to the vid where he talks about the modifications they made to it. It was almost like an entirely different engine when they were done with it.

Last edited:

Got bored and left

Geez, I forgot just how long this damn game spent in development. The fact that CDP managed to not run itself into the ground with this project and made the franchise into an AAA powerhouse has to be some sort of a miracle.

The first Witcher draws an fun little parallel with Stalker, actually - games from Eastern European companies, really long and stormy development histories, released at around the same time, flawed gems (well, at least in my opinion). Not that it matters in any way, just a funny coincidence.

The man in the video is an interesting dude as well - he's Ryszard Chojnowski, founder of Albion Localisations, the team responsible for a hell of a lot Polish localisations of games (most prominently Planescape: Torment's excellent translation). I wasn't aware he was directly involved in The Witcher's development, very interesting stuff.

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Looks like an average Neverwinter Nights mod.

Well, that is what it was, really.
No, at this point it certainly wasn't and after they started using a spruced up version of the Aurora engine it wasn't quite that either.

Both the environment, player movement, camera movement and the combat look very NWN-y, to be fair, no matter how "spruced up" was the Aurora engine at the time. Sure, the environment/level design has clearly been taken quite further ahead, but everything else gives that vibe.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
I remember in the previews they talked a lot about using (I think) German longsword movements and/or stances for animation. I forget to what degree they did that in the actual game though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom