Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 1 Thread

Starwars

Arcane
I think much of these games depend on the world and whether you like it. If you do find it horribly bland and needlessly edgy, then I don't think any of the games will pull you in, even if you find the other games a bit better.

For the record, the second game has by far the best story of the three and some good choices & consequences (biggest example is the second act have two paths that are completely different) but the gameplay is complete and utter shit and they devolve a lot of stuff that was interesting in the first game like the alchemy system. It is an incredibly tedious game to play through in my opinion.

I guess the third game might be worth a shot. Even though I like the first game the best (even with all its weirdness and clunkiness), the third is pretty enjoyable. But, the story still isn't particularly good and neither is the gameplay.

It's a series that lives and dies by its atmosphere and gameworld in my opinion and if those things don't grip you, then I have a hard time seeing anyone finding much enjoyment in them.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Im starting to think im in the minority here who enjoyed both Witcher 1 and 2 equally. Yes they are different in most ways, but i did find Witcher to be edgy or bland, or Witcher 2 to have terrible gameplay.

Sodafish

Arcane
the third is pretty enjoyable. But, the story still isn't particularly good and neither is the gameplay.

It's true that the main quest story is a bit lacklustre, poorly paced and lacking in urgency, but there are moments of brilliance in there (the Baron questline being the obvious standout). The gameplay also isn't perfect but it's still head and shoulders above the first two. And as I said before, the HoS expansion for W3 is a must play.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
OK, I slugged my way through the 5th act of this game, and this is my utmost limit. What a fucking mess this whole thing was !
So my question is pretty simple : if I feel like the witcher world is horribly bland and needlessly edgy, that the overall story and characters are shit and plain as fuck, is there any point in finishing this game and trying the sequels ? I mean, does it get better storywise or on the C and C front ? I don't think that the gameplay is going to get better anyway, so without a good story incentive, I'm not going through the rest.
If you've already finished the 5th chapter, then there's very little left to the game and you might as well finish it. Even if by "5th act" you mean chapter 4 (counting the Prologue as the first act), the last chapter and epilogue are relatively short and you might as well complete it. Personally, I found The Witcher to be a promising first RPG from a new developer, although the action-based combat was worse than having a mediocre non-action-based combat system (as is nearly always the case for action-based combat in RPGs) and I didn't particularly care for Geralt or the setting.

I'd recommend avoiding the second game at all costs, since they managed to revise the action-based combat so that it's far worse than in the first game, and the rest of the game might as well be watched as played, since it's all about the cinematic cutscenes. There is a major choice at the end of the first of the three chapters, which leads to two vastly different second chapters and ultimately to three different endings (apparently, this is considered a success by the C&C crowd), but you can easily watch both versions of the second chapter and all three endings, without losing anything other than the displeasure from trying to play this poorly-made game.

Haven't tried the third game yet, but it was voted the Codex's 3rd best RPG of 2015 just behind Underrail and Age of Decadence, and they seem to have learned from their mistakes with the design of the second game.

Frozen

Arcane
Biggest flaw of TW2 to TW3 is that nothing you did in TW2 matters when it comes to TW3
TW2 has the best story out of the 3 but at the end its like it never happened. You can make big world altering decisions but there is nothing out of it in TW3.
Even BioWare had better transitions with more things going from game to game.
To dude that didn't like "edginess" I don't know what's your thing, try TW3 its more Disney like.
I like TW1 exactly because of it- it doesn't try to make you care for Geralt- he is more of an asshole then in books. He has rigid moral compass mostly out of spite, his motivation is revenge and trying to stay afloat.
By TW3 he is just another boring superhero.

Ivan

Arcane
OK, I slugged my way through the 5th act of this game, and this is my utmost limit. What a fucking mess this whole thing was !

I gotta admit first that it wasn't so unpleasant all in all. There was some good quests here and there, a couple of good revelations or situations, and the overall rpg questing thingy wasn't that bad for a moment...

It's just that now that I have to conclude the whole thing, I can't bring myself anymore to endure it again. Sure gameplay is shit, and this is a huge part of it, but, most of all, I'm just forced to realise that my engagement is nihil. Nada. I can't care less about Geralt, the world or any characters whatsoever. And, of course, I don't give a shit about the ending.

So my question is pretty simple : if I feel like the witcher world is horribly bland and needlessly edgy, that the overall story and characters are shit and plain as fuck, is there any point in finishing this game and trying the sequels ? I mean, does it get better storywise or on the C and C front ? I don't think that the gameplay is going to get better anyway, so without a good story incentive, I'm not going through the rest.

Production values for the sequels are through the roof and feel much more complete. Give them a shot.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
If you're asking whether TW2 is better than TW1 in the story and C&C department, the answer is yes. TW2 does make some serious missteps in terms of the gameplay, meaning that it ruins everything that TW1 did right, and especially the first few hours are full of misplaced cinematics, info dumps and simply terrible pacing. It does get better later on, especially with the Enhanced Edition, but it's still overall the weakest of the series.

There is a major choice at the end of the first of the three chapters, which leads to two vastly different second chapters and ultimately to three different endings (apparently, this is considered a success by the C&C crowd), but you can easily watch both versions of the second chapter and all three endings, without losing anything other than the displeasure from trying to play this poorly-made game.
The number of endings is actually 16. Granted, that's just the number of different permutations in the ending slides and not a particularly high number as such, but there's also a fair amount of in-game C&C that you'll see before you get there. TW2 is actually very good at showing you the consequences during the game rather than saving it all for the ending slides, even though the latter would've required a lot less work while being much more marketable (meaning that they could've had something like 200 endings instead of sixteen if they just added a few more slides).

Blackstaff

Arbiter
Thanks for the answers guys.

I don't think I'm gonna bother anymore with the series though. Like any other AAA out there, it just feels empty and random to me. It's a shame, being a big fan of GOG, I would have really liked to get into it.
At least, the first two chapters were interesting, but in the end the immersion just wasn't there for me.

AetherVagrant

Cipher
Patron
Slowly working through Witcher 3 again, First time I played on easy and steamrolled through, ignored sidequests and crafting, I just wanted to see the story. Second time combat is more fun playing on hard, I have to do sidequests to level up sufficiently, im paying attention to crafting...mechanically the game is much better on hard, and better than Witcher 1 (my favorite so far)

However, I was really hoping it had real c&c which it seems it doesnt. Story is still great, story I didnt see the first time is even better, but those bioware-style say-what-you-want we all branch to the same end choices are really disappointing, considering the illusion of choice it seems to offer at first.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Yeah, I actually meant Chapter 1, sorry. Kaer Morhen tutorial wasn't great, although it was nice to see that place.

RRRrrr

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Combat is shit.
Rest is meh so far.
Combat is nice on hard when you don't get that visual cue on the combos and have to listen/observe the fights themselves rather than time the click on the visual cue. You also have to use potions and coatings, even bombs. Most of the people I've seen complaining about the combat didn't play on Hard.

However, the game has not aged very well. 8 years ago it was the shit. The music is still awesome.

naossano

Cipher
The combat is also its own thing as far as i know. It might have some common points with other kinds of combat systems but still have its own flavor. (beside, there is several differences depending on if you play on isometric or not)

v1rus

Arcane
Beat the I chapter. Like it so far, even tho I spent tons of time running back and forth through that darn village.

Now, I heard I need to talk to that Raymond fella asap, so I wouldnt mess up later quests. Is talking to him all I need to do to prevent messing up, or what_

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
Beat the I chapter. Like it so far, even tho I spent tons of time running back and forth through that darn village.

Now, I heard I need to talk to that Raymond fella asap, so I wouldnt mess up later quests. Is talking to him all I need to do to prevent messing up, or what_
I didn't know you could mess anything up...

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Hope you did both monster hunt quests, as you can't get back.
2 per chapter, 10 total. There's a nice reward if you complete all.

v1rus

Arcane
Hope you did both monster hunt quests, as you can't get back.
2 per chapter, 10 total. There's a nice reward if you complete all.

Monster hunt quests? Think I did all available quests, but, just to be sure, which ones specifically?

EDIT - quick google search revealed I have missed one indeed. Thankfully, havent started Chapt 2 yet, and i got a save right before.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom