Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Video Game Music Thread

Astral Rag

Arcane

Mark Knight :love:

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
Martin Galway's Parallax theme is probably most impressive tune I've heard:

DaveO

Erudite
In my opinion, sound option A seems best to my ears. The other two sound a bit restrained and/or not as rich in terms of audio.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Let me guess...
A is JV-1080
B is MT-32
C is CM-500 in SC mode

If that's the case I'm surprised, I thought LOL was composed for MT-32, but the GM actually sounds much richer. I guess they composed both simultaneously (like Sierra did with Eco Quest 2) and the GM wins due to better sample quality?

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I thought LOL was composed for MT-32, but the GM actually sounds much richer. I guess they composed both simultaneously (like Sierra did with Eco Quest 2) and the GM wins due to better sample quality?

The custom bank they upload to the MT-32 basically emulates the sounds found on a GS/General MIDI (that are missing on a MT-32). I had thought they actually did a pure custom bank of sounds (like Ultima VII part 1/2) but they didn't sadly. The game sounds pretty fucking awesome on the JV-1080. :smug:

Except for the fucking Tubular Bells!

:x

Because the Tubular Bells on the Sound Canvas have a different pitch than the General MIDI ones. Similar to your observations on the music in Pagan (JV-1080 == AWESOME strings/piano, Sound Canvas == better sounding Tubular Bells).

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Except for the fucking Tubular Bells!
I thought the JV bells were better actually - it's how I knew A was the JV. They sound FUCKING AWESOME. Problem is they do sound the wrong pitch. Less of a problem here than with Pagan though.

Speaking of which, you reminded me of the Pagan intro piano on the JV :love:

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Alexander Brandon and Michel Van Den Bos are two of my favorite game composers. They really need to get back into making electronic soundtracks, nothing beats those terrible-but-awesome late 90s MIDI keyboard sound banks.

Statik

Educated

I'm replaying STALKER right now and I've realized how well the menu theme goes with the general atmosphere of the game. Just look at that picture while listening to the track. A perfect match, if you ask me.

My favorite track from the whole game. Like the one above, it works superbly with the area where it is used.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Alexander Brandon and Michel Van Den Bos are two of my favorite game composers. They really need to get back into making electronic soundtracks, nothing beats those terrible-but-awesome late 90s MIDI keyboard sound banks.

Let's not forget about Dan Grandpre cooperating with both of them. He made some quality work with both Crusaders, Unreal, Unreal Tournament and last but not least - Deus Ex. I always look at this soundtracks as one whole package, those modtracker tracks are composed perfectly for me.

I recommend Grandpre mods, this guy is wasting talent in 2KGames.

http://modarchive.org/index.php?request=view_artist_modules&query=69552

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Have been listening to this pretty much all evening today. Entire games soundtrack is amazing.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I'm currently playing the 2009 Wolfenstein (don't play it, it's horribru), which reminded me how awesum RTCW was.

Machine

Arbiter

Not sure if posted already, but I always liked this track.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom