Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Valve and Steam Platform Discussion Thread

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Latest Steamspy paper: https://medium.com/steam-spy/on-early-access-games-39aed2b8f82d#.s123g47wf

Vault Dweller RTYI

On Early Access games
Since Early Access games were introduced on Steam, they constantly caused all kinds of questions, starting with the most basic one — what kind of person in their sane mind would pay money to do a beta-tester’s job? Sounds like an apple picking for a holiday activity, where you pay someone to work for them for free.

For this article I’ve analyzed games that were released from April 2015 to September 2015 and had at least one full month of sales. For most of the graphs I’ve only analyzed that first month — be it the game entering Early Access, leaving it, or launching old-school way without paid beta whatsoever.

How many Early Access games are there?
Short answer — a lot. More than 700 games have entered Early Access since 2013 and around 150 got actually released since then.

1*LOb5IDSMwrDcsfRRetzicQ.jpeg

Interestingly in April 2015 we finally saw a rise in number of Early Access games being released. That’s, of course, because games take time to finish and an average game spends 14 months in Early Access stage.

2015 was particularly good year for Early Access games. Out of all games released this year 14% entered Early Access and another 7% left it.

I haven’t measured “dead” Early Access games, because this is something that requires a lot of manual work. At first I’ve tried to check for game updates on Steam, but it seems not all developers post news about their game updates on Steam, preferring forums instead.

Do you really have one launch?
In one of my first articles on Steam I wrote that Early Access games aren’t different from games with one launch, because EA games also have only one big launch, despite having two release dates. Of course it was before we saw many new games exit Early Access, so I wanted to go back and revise this assumption.

Let’s look at share of games that sell relatively good when they exit Early Access compared to their EA sales and how it translates into actual numbers.

1*jV3nF8dKWnmEXykw7kasxg.jpeg

1*kD3sWkIx-5qgwGL9j_Z-ow.jpeg

As you can see the games that saw the biggest relative increase during the first month after leaving Early Access sold worse during EA stage, while the games that saw moderate or low increase sold way better during EA.

Which brings us back to original assumption — yes, Early Access games seem to have only one launch, sorry.

But the good news is:

if you fail while entering EA, you can still recover when you exit it, effectively moving your big launch.
Of course it will take a lot of work because, as pointed earlier, it takes 14 months for an average game to leave Early Access.

Are Early Access games sales different from non-EA games?
The answer is both yes and no. When your game enters EA, gamers seem to treat it in the same way as non-EA games. At least I found no statistically significant difference in sales or playtime.

But when your game exits EA, it is way more likely to sell well compared to an average game. If it survives long enough to actually get released.

Of course an average game on Steam isn’t selling really well and “Early Access survivors” could be considered outliers — games that were continuously supported for a long period of time. Maybe that’s why they’re selling four times better on average.

1*ONCBeroFFuFabdImhnKCyw.jpeg

Median first month sales are 750 copies for non-EA games, 900 copies for EA games and 3,600 copies for games that just left Early Access. An average game sells 8,000 copies during Early Access stage if it survives long enough to get released. Which might sound like a lot until you divide it by 14 months of continued support.

What matters most for sales of Early Access games?
Unfortunately it’s really hard to determine. In part because correlation doesn’t mean causation and in part because some things are hard to quantify — user support or updates quality for example.

I took a look at several metrics, including user score, meta score, median playtime, sales during Early Access stage and YouTube coverage. As it turns out, all of those metrics matter a little bit, but the most important seems to be YouTube coverage.

1*ABgPq3qs-Fegd9GuEsRobQ.jpeg

But YouTube matters for all games, not just Early Access ones.

1*uIX3uNigD2Z6jglHMFEAQA.jpeg

I was surprised to see that both userscore and metascore mattered relatively little, but userscore is basically a measure of user satisfaction, so it remains relatively high as people are more likely to buy games they’ll enjoy. And metascore matters less mostly because press isn’t likely to assign a score to Early Access games until they get released.

Genres of Early Access games
Another popular question people ask a lot: “Is Early Access a good fit for my game in this particular genre?” It’s hard to answer based on data alone, but here are the differences between most popular tags for Steam games in general and Early Access games.

1*zmlylSXmh_sZwAnFtd3T0w.jpeg

Tag cloud for Steam games

1*48_52BdG6giVmhnmPwvlmQ.jpeg

Tag cloud for Early Access games
As you can see Early Access games are often Sandbox Open World Survival Simulators — the fact that was cleverly parodied by The Goat Simulator team.

Of corse it doesn’t mean that Early Access isn’t good for games in other genres, merely that it’s less popular choice for them.

Who’s playing (and paying)?
There are roughly 15M people that own at least one paid Early Access game on Steam — 11% of total Steam gamers. They are a bit different from your average gamer because they are more likely to be “novelty seekers” or ”heavy buyers” (people that jump from game to game).

1*HahJvjkcJGHsjxnw_4c9kg.jpeg

Geographically they aren’t really different from general paying Steam audience, except for three countries.

1*XfCe7JO7jb9Mz-xbJYQbCA.jpeg

For some reason people from Germany and France are more likely to own Early Access games, while gamers from Poland are less likely to do so. I have no explanation for this fact, so feel free to speculate.

Summary
There are over 700 Early Access games and around 24% of them got released already. On average released Early Access game spends 14 months in this stage, sells 8,000 copies during that period and another 3,600 in the first month after the launch.

YouTube coverage seems to correlate with first month sales the most, but it’s typical for all games on Steam. Userscore and metascore matter less.

Owners of paid Early Access games are more likely to own more games compared to an average Steam gamer. They’re also more likely to live in France or Germany and less likely to live in Poland.

This could be explained by the fact that Early Access games are different in their genre distribution compared to Steam games. Early Access games tend to be more often about Survival, Crafting, Open World, Simulation and Action.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Of course they tend to be survival/open world. There's no need to create content.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
GabeN on why Steam machines will be a success:

GabeN said:
“At console price points, we’re going to have machines like Alienware’s, which are faster than today’s consoles,” said Newell. “So the same price point as today, except you get better performance and you’re connected to everything you like about the PC and the internet.”

Newman (Rust) said:
Newman said Steam Machines open new potential avenues for developers.

“We might have been put off making games that are tailored to TV/controller before because of all the stupid bullshit you had to go through to get a game on a console,” he said. “But now we might be thinking ‘this makes it easy, let’s make that console-style game we were taking about’.

http://www.develop-online.net/analysis/steam-machines-console-killer-or-vanity-project/0213448

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
So it's just going to be a console, but with better hardware for the same cost, which i'm sure they are going to pull off thanks to... magic?

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Aren't current gen consoles around $450? You can build a mid/high tier PC for around $750.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Aren't current gen consoles around $450? You can build a mid/high tier PC for around $750.
Which is already almost twice as much, and those companies making those custom Steam machines probably want their cut too.

This of course not even taking into account console port quality + SteamOS drivers.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Looks like Steamspy is going to do NPD-style sales reports for Steam. Or at least this month:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Now you can permanently remove games from your account: https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/3vcndh/valve_add_the_option_to_permanently_remove_games/

Visit the support site at https://help.steampowered.com/

Search for a game you own. You can find an option to remove a game permanently:

xKEjbvk.png

This means you can clear out jokes, regrets or general backlog clutter and truly get rid of them.

Seen via this thread on NeoGAF:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1150389

I have personally wanted this for a very long time.

Edit: Turns out some items can only be removed if you cancel the whole package they are a part of. Steam items are technically subscriptions and you subscribe to packages. The system obviously cancels the whole package subscription, so if a game is part of a larger package of multiple games everything has to go. E.g. I want to remove Zombie Driver but it is part of 'Summer Sale Indie Bundle Day Seven' and will lose me other games too:

IOzpG1v.png

Watch out for this with older, single key indie bundles and Store bundles.

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Seems to work, just removed some bundle trash via the support page and the games are gone.

This finally gives the digital equivalent of the satisfaction you get when throwing away something really shitty.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Good addition. I will be removing Darksiders, because I also have the complete edition as a separate entry. This has been bugging me.

However, In before people remove games from their accounts only to rebuy them again a few sales down the line, because they forget.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Good addition. I will be removing Darksiders, because I also have the complete edition as a separate entry. This has been bugging me.

However, In before people remove games from their accounts only to rebuy them again a few sales down the line, because they forget.

...why do you think Steam put this feature in to begin with?

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Well, turns out "permanent" is not permanent actually. You can restore removed games if you want. (Support -> search removed game -> "It's not in my library" -> "Restore the previously removed package to my account")

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom