Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Valve and Steam Platform Discussion Thread

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
What exactly are the merits of the curator system?

Steam planned for the system to be the gatekeepers of the their online store once they open the floodgates so any games, even unpopular newsgrounds game like Depression Quest can make it to steam.

At least, that is what I think.
Opinion leaders hired to drive up sales.
It could backfire but the chances of EVERY curator downvoting a game is less likely.
Controlling the controllers.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Yeah, the only positive aspect of this update is that it's much easier to see if a game is already present in my (bloated) library.

This curator thingie and the new releases being classified by popularity are both major steps BACKWARDS. This is like Steam moving from being a marketplace to a fancy high street retail outlet.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Come on Codex, someone become a curator already.

Anybody here can become a curator if he wants - nobody's stopping you. However, if we found an official Codex group, we can have multiple curators representing us. Put together a team of all the quality codex reviewers - Roxor, felipe, etc. And you too, Zed.

Currently discussing this in the staff forums - we'll see what happens.

OK, join and follow:

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/RPG_Codex
http://store.steampowered.com/curator/6866630/

There will be a newspost later on.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I approve of The Codex curator page, and have already joined. Please do not recommend anything in Early Access, though.

By the way , it is nice of Steam to crowd-outsource yet another thing they should be doing themselves, i.e. sorting garbage. They even gave the garbage sorters a respectable name 'Curators' to make them feel better. Haha. :hahano: All in the name for providing more profit for Valve better service to the people.

Sarcasm aside, in the end it should result with a little bit more organized market than it is now. It does not solve the issue of overabundance of shitty games that nobody wants, but still are bought by bucketload because they are cheap, but it should help with filtering through the sewage somewhat.

I will be looking to make a curation list myself, of 'so bad they are good or at least funny' (b-movie style) games, if I make the time (I will not).

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
slsaISN.jpg

Steam is trolling me

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Inb4 GamerGate2, where shitty indie devs bribe shitty curators to promote their shitty vidyagaems. Indies are becoming the new AAA, it's like that thing this guy was talking about.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
i need a us codex bro or sis with paypal to help me get some stuff. anybody interested?
thanks MicoSelva!

Last edited:

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
So the recommendations at the very bottom have a "not interested" button to press, but nothing above them do.

sSxgkXC.jpg

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I approve of The Codex curator page, and have already joined. Please do not recommend anything in Early Access, though.

Lords of Xulima. :-/
And Age of Decadence. And Underrail.

MicoSelva must be thinking of the more butthurt-inducing WL2/PoE type of Early Access.
I actually meant them all - I really do not like this model, from a consumer's perspective.
But yeah, I would agree that the recommendation might be in order if the EA version is already worth the money, which happens sometimes (although rarely). But I would not support recommending early access games on a promise of future improvements.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
The only EA game I recommend is Broforce.

While I understand that the Codex Curator wouldn't want to recommend it, it would be an interesting "black sheep" to have.

Boleskine

Arcane
New Steam update adds a music player. Soundtracks to Valve games you own are free as well.

Steam Client Update Released

An update has been released for the Steam Client and will be automatically downloaded.

Steam Music Player
  • The Steam Music Player feature is now available for everyone, making it easy to listen to your music collection while you play games on Steam. For more information, visit Steam News. For product support, visit Steam Support.

General
  • Added display of friends’ nicknames to notifications
  • Added support for Family View recovery email address in Big Picture mode
  • Added "I forgot my PIN" link to Family View unlock dialogs if a recovery email has been set
  • Simplified the user interface of the main window
  • Reduced energy usage when running in the background
  • Fixed installing games using “-applaunch” or “steam://install” commands
  • Fixed some cases where invalid URL strings would be parsed as URLs in chats
  • Fixed some issues with Unicode handling inside links in chat
  • Fixed regression that prevented public sharing of screenshots of non-Steam games
  • Fixed install from retail disk for games with more than 4 DVDs, to use the data from all disks
  • Fixed game banners not appearing in grid view while in offline mode
  • Fixed hang in grid view when hitting enter with no game selected
  • Fixed warning sound playing when unlocking Family View in desktop mode
  • Fixed permissions issue preventing developers from uploading Workshop items to an app using the ISteamUGC interface, if they only had an auto-grant license for the app

In-Home Streaming
  • Improved AMD hardware encoding quality
  • Updated Streaming audio from Linux to use the default pulse audio sink if none is running at the time streaming starts
  • Fixed rare crash with windowed game capture
  • Fixed regression preventing Big Picture mode from responding after streaming a game
  • Fixed regression preventing streaming to NVIDIA Shield

Windows
  • Added support for additional caching of proxy auto-discovery results and better background detection of broken networks where auto-discovery fails and takes a long time to timeout
  • Fixed failing to draw Web views into games that run as the elevated user when Steam wasn't also elevated

Mac OS X
  • Updated some common user interface elements for Retina displays

Linux
Fixed keyboard input for non-Latin languages in the Web view

:balance::mca:

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I don't understand... where do I find the music player? I downloaded the Portal 2 soundtrack, or at least added it, but I have no idea where to find it?

Boleskine

Arcane
I don't understand... where do I find the music player? I downloaded the Portal 2 soundtrack, or at least added it, but I have no idea where to find it?

If you highlight or click the Library menu, Music is underneath Games and Software.

I imagine they will introduce a way to download just the soundtrack of a game you own. Dunno why it's missing such an obvious feature.

If you highlight or click the Library menu, Music is underneath Games and Software.

For anyone not seeing it, I had to restart steam to receive the music player patch that makes that option appear.

Amusingly, I think the patch also introduced a little 360 controller icon (Big Picture Mode) next to the minimize button. :M Or was it there before?

Divinity: Original Sin
one thing they're missing grouping games by franchise.

You pick wasteland 2 for example, you don't see wasteland 1 link (except in the deluxe and classic versions descriptions). Or thief II where you can actually see games in the franchise in the "more like this" box, but this offer a lot of similar games, not franchise specific.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom