Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Valve and Steam Platform Discussion Thread

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-08-07-has-valve-just-soft-launched-the-source-2-engine
Has Valve just soft-launched the Source 2 engine?
Dota 2 Workshop tools appear to port MOBA to new engine.

Overnight Valve released the Dota 2 Workshop tools, and some people reckon as part of that the company has soft-launched the long-awaited Source 2 game engine.

"Everything in this package is a new game," wrote RoyAwesome on the Dota 2 subReddit.

jpg

A reference to Source2 in the Dota 2 mod tools.

"It's all the Dota assets and code ported over to Source 2. That's why Hammer is different. That's why the console is different."

Hammer is Valve's map creation program for Source. A video of the new version being messed about with is below.

"The general consensus around the Source reverse engineering community is that this is really Source 2," RoyAwesome continued.

Valve, which operates on US West Coast time (eight hours behind UK time), is yet to make any announcement around Source 2, but it has been rumoured for some time.

Gamer Network's tech wizards tell me Valve may have simply released tools that relate to the Source 2 engine to be used to mod Dota 2, rather than launched the engine proper, but Valve's plan is unclear. We'll have more on Source 2 as the story develops.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Chances we'll see another single player game from Valve again are pretty slim (and I don't even count the Portal series because their single player experiences were fairly limited). The Half Life series is probably dead. It's been so long I doubt they even have a vague concept of where they want to take the story or how the game should be designed. Next thing we see from them will be Left 4 Dead 3 -- they're probably waiting for Turtle Rock to poop out Evolve so they can see all the criticisms of it and take them into account in L4D3.

Caim

Arcane
Calling it now: Valve's working on Left 4 Dead 3 and Portal 3. They announce the bunch, fanboys rage, and when it goes up to Steam for preorder you can buy the two bundled alongside Episode 3 without any comment from Valve whatsoever.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Malaysian Airlines planes gets shot down and Ukraine burns and you care whether HL3 will come in 2 or 20 years :prosper:

Telengard

Arcane
Malaysian Airlines planes gets shot down and Ukraine burns and you care whether HL3 will come in 2 or 20 years :prosper:
  • 100+ people die every year since the 1940s in the conflict between the nuclear armed India and Pakistan
  • 50,000+ people die every year in the civil war in Syria
  • 10,000+ people die every year in the endless ethnic fighting in Sudan
  • 100+ people die every year for the last twenty years in the separatist movement in China
  • a half million people have died so far in the half-century old conflict in Columbia

And do we still want Half Life 3? :kwafuckyeah: Hell yeah!*

* Well, not me personally. I don't like the series. But speaking as if it were some other, actually good series.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
And yet here you are complaining about video games on a forum dedicated to role-playing games. Go pick up a gun and join the revolution if you care about it so much.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I would probably 'trade' back 90% of the games in my Steam library for a nickel a piece.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
my "junk" category has about 300 games from bundles I would gladly sell for 1 cent each, so I could buy some decent game on sale for 2.50€ :M

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I'm burnt out on shitty indie games. I rarely buy bundles these days as most of the games in them I find myself getting tired of after thirty minutes. There's 400+ games in my Steam library but I'm so bored I'm thinking of going back and playing Risen 1. Might even D1P Dead Rising 3. Nothing amazing but it'll deliver exactly what I expect it to so no surprises a la Risen 3 being underwhelming/horrible.

Dr Tomo

Learned
It's interesting when you look at how Valve's idea of entertainment in the living room has evolved over the years. It really is yet another testament to the fact that this company continues to practice the art of iterative design - a cyclical process of prototyping, testing, analyzing, and refining a product.

Early Beginnings
It was in 2011 when we got our first glimpse of Steam in the living room. Valve announced Big Picture Mode, which was touted as merely an interface upgrade for Steam that offered "controller support and navigation designed for television interaction." It wasn't clear at this point what direction Valve was going in the living room or how far they were willing to go.

Later that year, Greg Coomer, a veteran Valve employee and Steam engineer, quietly tweeted this photograph of a high-end, Xbox-sized gaming PC that he had built. At the time, nobody had predicted that this was in fact a prototype for what we now call Steam Machines.

In September 2012, almost a year after Greg Coomer's tweet, Valve officially released Big Picture Mode into the wild. It was also around this time that they began to make it clear that they were looking into producing gaming hardware because they were "frustrated by the lack of innovation in the computer hardware space," so Valve began hiring hardware & electrical engineers like Ben Krasnow and Jeff Keyzer, to name a few. Gabe Newell also publicly came out and said that Valve was definitely planning to release living room hardware in 2013.

Today
It was this time last year when a lot of the pieces began to fall in place. Valve ran an advertisement campaign to announce the Steam Universe, a set of platforms specifically designed for video games in the living room - SteamOS, Steam Machines, and the Steam Controller. A few months later, Valve unveiled the first generation of 3rd-party manufactured Steam Machines.

And only months ago, Valve released features for Steam that would greatly enhance both the desktop and living room experience. They introduced Steam Family Sharing, a service that allows you to share your Steam library with friends and family. Another new feature included In-Home Streaming, giving you the ability to stream games from your high-end gaming rig to a media PC or laptop.

The Future
Now we come to today's news.

Still missing are a lot of other features that platforms like the Xbox has that the Steam Universe lacks (natively). Where is Netflix, Spotify, Hulu, HBO Go, or other media streaming services that also make up the backbone of entertainment in the living room? Well, according to the folks at SteamDB, a lot of these services, or ones like them, could be making their way into Steam and the Steam Universe soon.

new_steam_apptype-png.24920

SteamDB said that Valve updated their Steam binaries in a beta update today, and they found that a few new application-type IDs were added. Films, TV Series, Videos, Plugins, and Music are all coming to Steam. We were kind of given a hint that Valve was moving towards these services in another beta update a few weeks ago. In the update were references to the popular Spotify music player.

So, after almost four years of iterative design, the big picture of Steam and Valve in your living room is clear. They want to directly compete with the big dogs like Microsoft and Sony, and Valve certainly has the capability to succeed. Their iterative design process has provided them with a stable footing to launch off of.

The entire Steam Universe platform is still in beta, but because most of the pieces of the puzzle have been filled by Valve, we expect 2015 is the year they will begin to invade our living rooms. So stay tuned as we bring you more news in the coming weeks and months.
*source

So it seems like that Valve wants to directly compete with the more established franchises like Sony & Microsoft. Right now people are
worried that Valve is only going to hemorrhage $$$ trying to acquire licensees on a client that is going down hill fast. People of Reddit seems generally pessimistic over this while a few are blowing their load on the keyboard.

So I wonder how long before Activision/EA or maybe some bank buys up Steam when they face insolvency from this expansion out of games? Seeing how Valve handled Green Light & Early Access it doesn't give me much confidence in their ability to make this happen within the next decade. Are you ready to get fucked over in the future?

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
I doubt Steam will run out of money any time soon. It controls most of the digital PC market, and the digital PC market is most of the PC market these days.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
So it seems like that Valve wants to directly compete with the more established franchises like Sony & Microsoft. Right now people are
worried that Valve is only going to hemorrhage $$$ trying to acquire licensees on a client that is going down hill fast. People of Reddit seems generally pessimistic over this while a few are blowing their load on the keyboard.

So I wonder how long before Activision/EA or maybe some bank buys up Steam when they face insolvency from this expansion out of games? Seeing how Valve handled Green Light & Early Access it doesn't give me much confidence in their ability to make this happen within the next decade. Are you ready to get fucked over in the future?

Not a huge Steam fan (I prefer GOG when available) but your conclusions don't really have any factual basis and just relies on opinion and anecdotal evidence... any solid numbers or links to support your conclusions?

Last edited:

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong

Never get information from Reddit. What licenses does Valve need to buy to do any of this?

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron

Never get information from Reddit. What licenses does Valve need to buy to do any of this?
If anything they'll probably get a cut from Netflix et al. for any steam users that sign up for services.

Dr Tomo

Learned
I doubt Steam will run out of money any time soon. It controls most of the digital PC market, and the digital PC market is most of the PC market these days.

True, but then again I hear people are super excited over err Galaxy or what ever the new client Cd Projeckt is working on.

You mean, found a way to earn a 30% cut on even more games by including unfinished ones in the mix?

Well they are a business and it really isn't their probelm that you made a bad investment decision should the developers quit is Valve's official policy. *edit Also apologies, forgot that there was a Steam gd thread.

Not a huge Steam fan (I prefer GOG when available) but your conclusions don't really have any factual basis and just relies on opinion and anecdotal evidence... any solid numbers or links to support your conclusions?

This is on the assumption that they really are planning to go at it on their own or just add Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon's streaming services to Steam. It is common knowledge that for a company to acquire movies, music, and etc you would have to go through a license deal with the holders. This is all speculation that they might shoot themselves in the foot.

Info wasn't from Reddit, but Valve time which learned of Valve's interest in movies, music, and games through entries in Steam DB. If they decide to not go with a streaming service client add on, then they would have to acquire content on their own and meet with the different holders which means they have to pay a fee aka don't expect anything like from HBO Go.

*edit Also only mentioned Reddit regarding comments and link shows where the original info was brought to the public which may or may not be credible. Aware Reddit is not the best source of information as the Twitch buyout post they did from some obscure site with no credibility would show.

If anything they'll probably get a cut from Netflix et al. for any steam users that sign up for services.

That is what I thought of too, then it occurred to me that it would be pointless since Netflix, Hulu, and etc are already expanding internationally unless Gabe has some how got into the Chinese market with Steam. They have been doing it for the past year or two and the streaming services are still kind of hemorrhaging cash from this expansion. They also might acquire movies that they can sell individually is another possibility something similar to Redbox in the U.S.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom