Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Valve and Steam Platform Discussion Thread

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
you realize that sale is shit when you start to pick the games you really want, but not every game with huge discount and most of the time you just don't get a decent discount on the games you'd like to buy

Self-Ejected

AngryEddy

Self-Ejected
Yes. Anyone who doesn't see the sales have objectively declined as Steam has risen in popularity is just being contrarian for its own sake.

Not much has really come out the last 6 months
This is not an important point, i'd play AAA games if they were 75% on sale off a $10 RRP, but shit like Rome 2 is STILL $59.95 RRP. It's embarrassing.

On a completely unrelated note, I just saw that Shovel Knight is out now.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
The "sale sucks" because you bought everything you wanted three sales ago, as Infinitron said.

Pretty much this. There are tons of games on sale that I know I would have bought impulsively had I not already done so in previous sales.

Everyone always thinks every sale sucks compared to their first sale. I've been hearing people say the sale sucks since my first sale back in summer 2011.

Self-Ejected

AngryEddy

Self-Ejected
The "sale sucks" because you bought everything you wanted three sales ago, as Infinitron said.

Pretty much this. There are tons of games on sale that I know I would have bought impulsively had I not already done so in previous sales.

Everyone always thinks every sale sucks compared to their first sale. I've been hearing people say the sale sucks since my first sale back in summer 2011.

I have 26 games in my wishlist, and a majority of them are still in the $20-40 after sales, without including DLC. There are a few $2.99's, but they are far outnumbered by the pseudo-RRP games. Some of them aren't even on sale like Nuclear Throne and Malevolence: The Sword of Atranox. I mean come on, Broforce is STILL $11.99 post sale.

Here's one that makes me laugh: Infested planet, weird little independent game that nobody knows about right? $9.89 with 34% off.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
This is not an important point, i'd play AAA games if they were 75% on sale off a $10 RRP, but shit like Rome 2 is STILL $59.95 RRP. It's embarrassing.

You can get tons of AAA games that released in the last year for cheap. Yesterday you could get CoH2 for $10, base price $40. Bioshock Infinite $7.50, base price $30. Batman Arkham Origins $7.50, base price $30. Saints Row IV $10, base price $40. Assassin's Creed 4 $20, base price $40. All released in the last year or less.

From these two days alone I really wouldn't say the sale is any worse than a previous one. You can get lots of relatively recent AAA games for cheap. There's always a few stingy publishers/developers who don't discount their games properly and they've been there throughout all the sales.

Case in point: Ubisoft with Black Flag. Although they did slash the price to $40, so they're not as bad as they used to be.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Here's an example. LA Noire has a 70% discount the entire sale... yet the feature sale (it had a daily and now a flash) brings that to... 75% WTF is the point of wasting two feature slots for another fucking 5% when other games can take that slot?

Gord

Arcane
Meh, for me it's definitely that I already own most stuff that interests me from the last sales, coupled with better impulse control due to a) frequent sales kinda taking away the pressure and b) not much spare time to play all that stuff anyway.

I got the Blackguards DLC and The Brigmore Witches though, so all in all, I'm still below 10€ on my spendings.

Renegen

Arcane
I remember buying Ass Creed 2 for $2.50, NWN2 with all expansions for $2.50. They were both Christmas sales granted, but this sale is the worst yet. Payday 2 at 80% off comes to $5 and with all DLC to around $15, that's the typical shit you see these days and that game being heavily multiplayer you're kind of missing out on a lot if you jump into it today. That's what you're getting now, $5 games and $15 full DLC and only on a select few games. In fact seeing all these $5 games masquerading as $15 games really takes the fun out of the OMG SALE events that we're having. It's starting to look like a Wal-Mart where everything has the special tag but you're actually getting screwed.

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
As 99% of the DLCs are shit anyway can't see your point.Just get the main game now and the good DLCs next sale when they will be heavily discounted too.This sale was better overall mainly because more games were released last year's fall.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Isn't "SteamOS" Just fucking Ubuntu? How can it have exclusive games? :lol:
It's a modified Debian with home-made graphical environment, so yes, whatever will be exclusive to SteamOS will work on other Linux distributions. Notice that even in the menus Steam doesn't differentiate between SteamOS and Linux, games are put under "SteamOS + Linux" tab. In addition, SteamOS is for all PCs, you can install the beta already on any computer, the hardware they will sell is just a pre-built PC with pre-installed software.

BTW Gaben said Greenlight is shit and will be abandoned a year ago or so already, it's not news. They just take their time with it, just as with everything they do.

GabeN also hates Winderps 8, M$ wants to run their own store too (which would include games), so he has even more reasons to kill it before it spreads.

BTW. Valve threw a lot of money recently to support development of MESA (Linux GPU drivers).

You can clearly see what direction it all is going. In my opinion, it's a very good direction.

DeepOcean

Arcane
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/va...nd-steam-os-may-have-exclusives/1100-6417155/

I really do literally hope Gabe Newell chokes and dies if their shitty prebuilt PCs start having "exclusives".
There is only a tweet written on vague corp lingo mentioned in the article, "exclusive experiences" means anything these days from exclusive cheat packs DLC/Skins and fucking hats to exclusive games. It is just some journo doing clickbaiting. Anyway, unless Gabe creates a buggy, filled with vulnerabilities for some NSA spying, over priced and with a terrible interface piece of crap operational system like Microsoft did, I'm okay with it.

Anyway, unless Gabe creates a buggy, filled with vulnerabilities for some NSA spying, over priced and with a terrible interface piece of crap operational system like Microsoft did, I'm okay with it.

And what do you think Steam is?
It's not overpriced.

A don't see why you would want a buggy, filled with vulnerabilities for some NSA spying, terrible interface piece of crap operational system even if it was free, so its arguably still overpriced, if slightly less so than what Microsoft offers.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
If SteamOS takes off, you'll likely have other digital stores selling Linux games without Steam DRM. As a matter of fact, GOG has already announced this. Then you can play games on a Linux distro of your choice, without NSA backdoors and shitty tablet interfaces (or, if you like shitty tablet interfaces, Linux has a ton as well).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom