Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Shadow of Yserbius, Fates of Twinion, Ruins of Cawdor

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Does anyone played these games?
They are oddballs because always considered "graphical MUDs" first, but they can be played offline (Cawdor needs the patch), but in essence they are real dungeon crawlers with TB blob combat, interesting dungeons, quests, story, the whole kit and caboodle. Because of "one man party" without other players, they are hard, but not really hard. I finished both Yserbius and Twinion and seriously progressed in Cawdor.
Now for specifics:
Yserbius and Twinion are fantasy games set on the same island. Cawdor is Macbeth-inspired place of madness where NPCs talk in Early Modern and encounter descriptions constantly break the 4th wall. It's better than it sounds, trust me.

Some advices:
1)Don't fear the Reaper.
Death is only travel to the top of mountain.
2) Maps are usually regenerate when you enter them again. Exceptions are some fountains and quest-related thingies.
3) Fixed encounters fully regenerate in Yserbius/Twinion and regenerate on leaving map in Cawdor. Some quests in Cawdor depends on winning all fixed encounters on map, BTW.
4) Don't train fully all your spells and skills. Leave a single "11" somewhere, thus you will continue to get taining points on level-up.
5) Protection spells work on NEXT round. Keep it in mind.
6) Control spell is the best first spell in combat. Allow enemies to take care of themselves.
It could be casted from scroll - Sovereign scroll - that is sold in shop for whooping 25000. Monsters in Yserbius' first map - Soldier's Quarters - have it in their loot too. Also it can be pickpocketed from them with thief's Pickpocket skill.
7) Lower entrance to mountain (grate in Yserbius, skull in Twinion, glowing portal in Cawdor) is for returning to map where you were after using Teleport spell. Keep in mind, you DON'T replenish health and mana this way.

I have a fucking shitload of various info for Yserbius (spells/items and whatnot) but I need to complete it some more and then I can dump it here.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
pics. videos.

we should dedicate ourselves to making compilation threads per-decade for the dungoen crawler genre. we can split it up to 1 thread for every five years as well.

1970-1980 alone produced well over 200 dungeon crawlers easily. IMO turn-based dungeon crawlers are the only genre of RPG worth talk

in order to keep the threads monocoled of course only turn-based entries allowed.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
excuse me, i mean during 1980-1990. for 1970-1980 i doubt more than 20 crawlers came out considering oubliette came ut in 77.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Navigationally speaking, Yserbuis and Twinion have very complex dungeons with backdoors, teleports and whatnot. Every map from first cluster (Cleowyn's Palace) have several connections to other maps. Labyrinth (second map cluster) is navigated through pits where for one pit that sends you to lower level, 15 send you to the death. I remember Yserbius had "Chess Board" map where you used knight chess piece to move like chess knight.
Cawdor maps are easy and don't have this kind of complexity.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
I think the only one I finished was Yserbius. The dungeon design was absolutely fantastic, but I found the combat in single player mode to be fairly tedious and it put me off finishing the others. If these allowed full party creation in their single player mode they'd be stellar dungeon crawlers.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
I found very neat trick with magic weapons in Yserbius. Some of them cast useful spells for several times. Say, Crossbow of Chaos can cast Death Darts twice. When you cast two times it becomes unusable, but return to top of the mountain and you can cast Death Darts twice again. However, if you cast only once and returned to top, charges do not replenish.
Teleport spell is pretty useless because does not heal you does not restore mana, but it still considered journey to the top.
So you can use all charges on item winning the combat, use Teleport spell to re-charge it and use item in the next encounter.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Major areas of Labyrinth
29gheuv.jpg

Red X are pits/lava.

Attic:
1) Teleport to/from the Thieves' Den.
2) Teleport to/from Dungeon Entrance
3) Pit to Mage's Overlook
4) Teleport to/from Zephyr
There is also teleport to/from Castlegate, but it's activated in Labyrinth 4.

Secret Chamber of Labyrinth Thieves:
5) Teleport to/from Zephyr
10) Pit to Torbriar's Treasury

Wyn Sanctuary:
6)Teleport to/from ZZYZX
7)Pit to Dragon Leap

Wind Knights' Tomb:
8)Pit to Moon Hollow
9)Teleport to/from Moon Hollow

Last edited:

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Typical Cawdor humor on the typical Cawdor map.

Back to the kitchen...
16h9afb.jpg

And then fight some alliterated monsters.
2lm0to2.jpg

TigerKnee

Arcane
Hearing that the offline versions of the game doesn't allow full party creation and play does kind of hamper my desire to play these...

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Compare lazy Cawdor map with these unfinished maps of Labyrinth:
2lkwcus.jpg

My maps only show major areas and ingresses/exits, they are really pretty complex inside.

YS_LAB_1.GIF

YS_LAB_2.GIF

YS_LAB_3.GIF

YS_LAB_4.GIF

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
I've found interesting bug with chess board (and probably some other "triggerable" tiles). Normally, you move on the board using knight move, but if you cast teleport and then return, you can move one tile forward in the direction that you are facing.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Oh god just looking at the Labyrinth maps instantly reminded me of some of the encounters on those levels :lol:

Goddamnit. Why do we have thousands of shitty mods for shitty games and hundreds of pointless ports and whatnot yet no one would tweak this trilogy for single-player full party :( I'd reinstall and play all 3 of them in a heartbeat if this was possible.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom