Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Secret World

canakin

Cipher
Morons using Steam for a game with stand alone client lol morans

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
What the fuck? Seriously WHAT THE FUCK? Do I really have to download this 40 GB game with a speed of 20 kb/s? What's wrong with Funcom? Seriously? You release a new game and this is the client you make?

LOL, I'm literally downloading with 5 bytes !!!!!! per second now.

This is why you have to get on Steam and use their faster download.

MaskedMan

very cool
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Super fast download of the 300mb client, and then you have to get the rest from funcom servers :troll:. Or did they change it so it downloads like normal steam games?

bylam

Funcom
Developer
What the fuck? Seriously WHAT THE FUCK? Do I really have to download this 40 GB game with a speed of 20 kb/s? What's wrong with Funcom? Seriously? You release a new game and this is the client you make?

I asked about this today. The patcher sucks, not denying it and the download speeds are abysmal.

It will be on Steam at some point, but there was some problem with the integration.

And apparently we settled with some patent troll years past so we are not allowed to use or promote that others use bittorrent. It's seriously fucked.

Edit: Workaround for people who have The Secret World installed. Copy the patcher and the localconfig file from SWL into the Secret World folder and should get a much smaller download. Probably 1-2gb. Or copy the RDB folder from The Secret World folder into the Secret World Legends folder and it should diff patch from there as well. Both should work.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

I asked about this today. The patcher sucks, not denying it and the download speeds are abysmal.

It will be on Steam at some point, but there was some problem with the integration.

And apparently we settled with some patent troll years past so we are not allowed to use or promote that others use bittorrent. It's seriously fucked.

Edit: Workaround for people who have The Secret World installed. Copy the patcher and the localconfig file from SWL into the Secret World folder and should get a much smaller download. Probably 1-2gb. Or copy the RDB folder from The Secret World folder into the Secret World Legends folder and it should diff patch from there as well. Both should work.
I don't want to say this, but there must be some truly incompetent people in Funcom's management. Things like this should be one of the first things to fix before release, because seeing downloadtimes like this will scare away a lot of customers.

And it is even worse for a free to play game. Because if it is a 60 dollar game, and you bought it, you put up with the download time, you spent money on it afterall. But imagine if a newcomer wants to try out the game and this is the first thing s/he sees. Those people won't wait for a 10 hour long download. Even if you go for a Minimal Download, it takes hours.

Making it on Steam should be a top priority, I don't know what could go wrong with the integration, the Steam platform is not that difficult afterall.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
And after finally downloading and installing the game, I could hop right in. Sigh... and despite all the fuckups, all the annoyances, the game had me again just with its main menu theme. I was sold, just like I was sold years ago, when I first tried it. After creating the characer, I realized yet again that this game is truly one of a kind in gaming, nothing comes close when it comes to Lovecraftian worldbuilding in videogames. I just love adventuring in this game, and even though I'm sure there will be tons of annoyances, it is just a unique experience to play it.

Franny Frogpill

Educated
They filter out auctions by IP! I cannot sell stuff to my alts and - even worse - to my husband. The greedy shits.
Pah! 13€ per month to trade shitty trash items? Good luck with that, Funcom.

:keepmymoney:

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
I don't want to say this, but there must be some truly incompetent people in Funcom's management.

Why are you even surprised by this? Funcom has had incompetent management for nearly two decades now. Last time they had a game that wasn't a flop was probably TLJ in 1999. After that they've made Anarchy Online, which has well deserved reputation for being probably the worst launch in history of games industry - that game basically didn't work at all. Then they've made Dreamfall which came with bugged installer on discs and literally wouldn't even install on some machines, then there was Conan where people reached max level in a week only to find out there's zero endgame content ready, and the list goes on and on.

It's a real shame because they have some really talented people there and their worldbuilding in particular has always been second to none.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
I tried it but only managed to go through the (new) tutorial. Can't say I'm impressed. Sure, it looks more like a third person shooter now but it's still slow MMO combat plus I got the horrid feeling all of these redesigns might lead into a console release somehow. I have no doubt you could play it with a controller now.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
They filter out auctions by IP! I cannot sell stuff to my alts and - even worse - to my husband. The greedy shits.
Pah! 13€ per month to trade shitty trash items? Good luck with that, Funcom.

:keepmymoney:
The site and developers say that there are very few or no limitations for players, almost everything is free, because funcom are just that awesome...

Except it's not, from guild banks, to auctions, to dungeons, to inventory space, there's a shit ton of stat wars the old Republic limitations.

The first thing they should have posted for new and old players was a simple table showing everything you could do before and now was limited, and how much it would cost now to unlock. But as always funcom... Fucks it up.

The secret world legends reddit is full of very pissed off people.

everywhere is full of very pissed off people.
this crap should have "saved" tsw (which was doing fine anyway, in its niche) and instead it'll be the last nail in the coffin.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
I have never played a f2p MMO before, but are there better examples for a f2p MMO, which Funcom could use as a sample?

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Seems like Guild Wars 2 mainly keeps itself afloat with hardcore whales that love to dress up their characters and ERP. I'm sure just selling the vanity items would make Funcom enough money, especially since TSW has better character customization than GW2. "Enough" money probably isn't what they had in mind with this though.

Zdzisiu

Arcane
I have never played a f2p MMO before, but are there better examples for a f2p MMO, which Funcom could use as a sample?
If you are willing to accept action rpg in the vein of Diablo 3 as MMO, and there are similarities, then Path of Exile would be a very good example of free to play done well.

The game is 100% free to download and access all of the content from the moment you start.

There is no limit on how long you can play the game for free, how many times you can enter a certain area per day etc.

There are no "chest" drops that require keys or other methods of accessing them that can be acquired by real money.

There are no experience boosts, item drop boosts, speed boosts, mounts for movements speed etc.

All patches, expansions and non cosmetic content is available for free for everybody at the same time.

There is absolutely no way to get any advantage over other players by paying real money, the only debatable aspect here are stash tabs, you have 4 stash tabs as a free player, and can buy more for real money.

The game receives substantial and frequent content updates. There is a new league with new mechanics every 3 months and a major expansion around every 1 year.

The developers are very communicative and engage with the community often both on their forum and on the dedicated subreddit.

The developers are very open and honest in admitting problems, screw-ups, delays and explain in detail why they happened.

So how the fuck are those guys making any money giving all their game for free, working on it full time with 100+ people (that includes Customer support)?

Well, by selling cosmetic microtransations and some convenience such as more character slots ( 25 slots for free at the start, compared to Funcoms pitiful 1 slot), stash tabs, special stash tabs that are either bigger or allow for for efficient organization of certain items.

Also, GGG also sells Supporter packs, that consists of a bundle of cosmetic mtx with a common theme, and some forum titles.

Admittedly, the prices on the microtransactions are high, some say prohibitively high, but apparently there are enough players willing to buy them for the company to be able to continue the development and also try to tackle the XBox one market in the very near future.

So, it seems that sometimes the model of not selling power for real money coupled with a reasonable and open dev can sustain the game on its own.

And it is not some small, niche game anymore. The recent concurrent players record in PoE is set a 112k+ after the last major patch. And it will surely be broken with 3.0

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
If you are willing to accept action rpg in the vein of Diablo 3 as MMO, and there are similarities, then Path of Exile would be a very good example of free to play done well.
I played over 200h and then just bought some sparkly shit because it didn't feel right.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I played over 200h and then just bought some sparkly shit because it didn't feel right.
Same here, I played a lot of it and then just bought some cute pet and custom portal because it just didn't feel right not to give some money for all the enjoyment.

Lhynn

Arcane
Its just a retaded dumpster fire born from someone that was absolutely clueless about monetization, and very desperate.

The model itself isnt that bad, but the worst offenders are really bad.
Dungeons are basically endgame, they feel unrewarding and you have to pay to get in more than a couple times. AP/SP is so rare after level 50 that because you can buy it people call it p2w (which it isnt, and tsw already had it).
There are situations where you can literally do an entire dungeon and get absolutely nothing out of it, because you didnt have keys, because they dont give exp or even anima shards. Its so retardedly bad makes me lose my faith in humanity.
Skilltrees take a fuckton of MoF to unlock, the game actively punishes those that spend AP on anything that isnt their weapon of choice and punishes those that spend their AP on the capstone because the bonus is shit and costs a lot, and gaining AP after 50 is so fucking hard the feeling you fucked up by getting a skill you arent using or one that barely helps is being constantly reminded.
Itemization isnt bad, but itemization progression is a colossal grind, and loot is far too randumb, and upgrading gear binds it to you without first asking, this is a source of frutration, you got a weapon that will make you rich, you upgrade it before selling it in the hopes of getting more, you done fuck up boy, enjoy your new super expensive useless crap.
Gold is not guaranteed to be bought, if no player wants to sell their gold you are fucked. A better alternative would have been set a static price for gold that you buy from the game itself, at a higher price than the player sold gold. In this case players can rest easy knowing that theres a built in system in the game that will allow them to progress even if no one is selling, no one may ever use it if enough paying players are there, but it eases the mind of your players regardless. Its a problem with a solution so obvious its really baffling it isnt already there.

Worse part is none of this shit matters, you can easily go through the story without ever caring for this crap, but the people that are complaining are the people that want to remain after they are done with the story. Like you are literally aggravating and offending the people that will feed you and keep the game active and relevant.
Funcom does not understand that most players that arent playing another mmo, are looking for an mmo to play longterm, and them discouraging those players from doing so is really inane.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Its just a retaded dumpster fire born from someone that was absolutely clueless about monetization, and very desperate.

Dungeons are basically endgame, they feel unrewarding and you have to pay to get in more than a couple times. AP/SP is so rare after level 50 that because you can buy it people call it p2w (which it isnt, and tsw already had it).
There are situations where you can literally do an entire dungeon and get absolutely nothing out of it, because you didnt have keys, because they dont give exp or even anima shards. Its so retardedly bad makes me lose my faith in humanity.
Skilltrees take a fuckton of MoF to unlock, the game actively punishes those that spend AP on anything that isnt their weapon of choice and punishes those that spend their AP on the capstone because the bonus is shit and costs a lot, and gaining AP after 50 is so fucking hard the feeling you fucked up by getting a skill you arent using or one that barely helps is being constantly reminded.
Itemization isnt bad, but itemization progression is a colossal grind, and loot is far too randumb, and upgrading gear binds it to you without first asking, this is a source of frutration, you got a weapon that will make you rich, you upgrade it before selling it in the hopes of getting more, you done fuck up boy, enjoy your new super expensive useless crap.
Gold is not guaranteed to be bought, if no player wants to sell their gold you are fucked. A better alternative would have been set a static price for gold that you buy from the game itself, at a higher price than the player sold gold. In this case players can rest easy knowing that theres a built in system in the game that will allow them to progress even if no one is selling, no one may ever use it if enough paying players are there, but it eases the mind of your players regardless. Its a problem with a solution so obvious its really baffling it isnt already there.

Worse part is none of this shit matters, you can easily go through the story without ever caring for this crap, but the people that are complaining are the people that want to remain after they are done with the story. Like you are literally aggravating and offending the people that will feed you and keep the game active and relevant.
Funcom does not understand that most players that arent playing another mmo, are looking for an mmo to play longterm, and them discouraging those players from doing so is really inane.
Is it possible to pay some kind of monthly subscription to make all these shitty limitations go away?

vampiregrave

Educated
Is it possible to pay some kind of monthly subscription to make all these shitty limitations go away?

The current subscription benefits do not remove the limitations, they just make them a little more bearable.

swl_patron_graphic.jpg

Cromwell

Arcane
For some reason somebody had to think that pay to play isnt viable but instead people will pay triple the monthly money for the same experience they could have had with monthly payment with the added bonus to get paywalls rubbed in their faces every five minutes.

Reapa

Doom Preacher

how do you know so much about a game that is so obviously shit?

Lhynn

Arcane
how do you know so much about a game that is so obviously shit?
Ive played the game, as i said, most of the monetization does not matter if you play it casually.
It has good story, characters, atmosphere, music, and gameplay while floaty wasnt as bad, and now its slightly better. It definitely isnt a waste of time to go through the story.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom