Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Secret World

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
Hey, being an immortal in an endless war - who wouldn't want that.
That's basically the premise of every video game, yes. And we do like video games. So, why bother chopping off someone's legs if they will just grow back? The cutscene made it seem like it was more permanent and impactful than that. And does that always happen, or is there a way to avoid cutscene-induced schmuckery like that?
The cutscenes are there to expose your awkward and naive character to uncomfortable monologues and dangerous situations often resembling things you've seen in other media. This is supposed to evoke a comical effect and - at least in my case - it often succeeds.

Angthoron

Arcane
Yeah, it's a pity this isn't a singleplayer (co-op at most) episodic game - as an MMO it sucks because of the pretty terribad combat engine (combat model, controls), but the story aspects seem really cool.

I just can't bring myself to soldier through hours upon hours of poor derivative of WoW combat with horrible responsiveness though :(

Name

Cipher
The MMO format also means developers waste a lot of time on group contents and its balancing.

And some important lore is in Dungeons, but players are usually in the boss-rush mode, and I always had to look up the net for the voice-overs or lore pieces.

Currently there are two things I hope from Secret World:

(1) A satisfying ending.

However, I think the storyline may end with some metaness: the end of MMO equals the end of the Third Age and the storyline.

(2) A single-player remake.

Easier for save/load/replay so we can catch those small details in the cutscene etc.
How can you recognize the Nephilim from the opening scene in the season finale, if it has been two years and his character model is updated?

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yeah, putting heavy lore in group content (dungeons) is a really questionable idea. You don't want to be reading a ton of text when 4 people are waiting around for you to go shoot stuff. It could work when only teaming with rp-freak guildmates, but otherwise ...

Name

Cipher
And I read on the official forum that Issue #12 will focus on Group Contents, adding 2 new Dungeons, and Nightmare version of the two Raids.
Issue #13 will focus on PvP (possibly Secret Wars?).

Funcom acknowledged that only a small portion of players bothered to beat the Gatekeeper and enter Nightmare Dungeons, so the sale of these two issues will heavily influence their future distribution of development resources.

Personally I hope they are going to release the Normal(Elite) versions of the 2 new Dungeons as free update, so I can vote with my money by not buying the issue LOL.
The PVP Fusang Project is actually quite casual and fun, I hope they won't add some "hardcore" PVP contents that required VoIP tools LOL.

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
Does Codex have a guild?
Seems like most people here are just soloing.

I pledge allegiance to lock and load, ready for lairs/dungeons anytime.

so I can vote with my money
poQfVCy.jpg

Last edited:

Iluvcheezcake

Prophet
Amongts other things the game has amazing voice overs, imo one of the best is the crazed scientist (dr. Klein) inside the Ankh dungeon - everytime i hear that NO VORDS! i lol :)

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Amongts other things the game has amazing voice overs, imo one of the best is the crazed scientist (dr. Klein) inside the Ankh dungeon - everytime i hear that NO VORDS! i lol :)
MY SCHWARZ MIRAGE OF ZE DESERT

...but the coolest dungeon and voice is The Facility and Halina <3

Whiran

Magister
The early missions basically teach you to play the game solo.

I was playing with a buddy of mine (I started like two weeks ago or so) and we kept having to go into solo-instances from pretty much the starting zone.

This has taught us that playing together is more cumbersome than playing solo. Now we often find ourselves just chatting while running around solo.

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
The early missions basically teach you to play the game solo.

I was playing with a buddy of mine (I started like two weeks ago or so) and we kept having to go into solo-instances from pretty much the starting zone.

This has taught us that playing together is more cumbersome than playing solo. Now we often find ourselves just chatting while running around solo.
I've soloed the whole game - no one messed with my speed, I could peacefully read every line, gawk at details etc. I grouped only for lairs and dungeons, but those are mostly hackfests and you learn all through cutscenes and combat taunts (love it how some major lore bits can be heard during boss fights).

There are games with great writing and atmosphere where you don't want anyone to spoil it (AoC was also like that) and games like D:OS which are only fun when playing with someone else.

Pretty sure limiting active quests and forcing solo quests was made to make you appreciate some things more. Doing parking lot or FNF with drunken friends would be a travesty.

Last edited:

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
$20 for one mission and a mount?

What happened?

Change in management?

What's next, a horse armor?
But you don't have to buy it? Only the mission is restricted to this purchase (rest can be obtained the normal way) and I imagine it's not essential to the plot.

They should slap a better looking price maybe, but the bike alone is worth 10$ as a big vanity thing (compare to prices for clothing sets). They have to make money somehow when the game is free and doesn't trick you into spending cash (for services, lockboxes etc.).

PS Don't forget about the 100$ golden sets :)

Last edited:

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
How does this work? I can 'summon" the bike anytime (when not in combat) and travel without being bothered by mobs? Because if it is, than it worth every penny and more! What kills TSW for me when I have to travel from A to B and I'm constantly stopped by attacking mobs.

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
How does this work? I can 'summon" the bike anytime (when not in combat) and travel without being bothered by mobs? Because if it is, than it worth every penny and more! What kills TSW for me when I have to travel from A to B and I'm constantly stopped by attacking mobs.
They're basically adding several types of vanity effects to sprint, motorbikes being one of them. Some are excluded in hub cities (masquarade rules, limited space and shit).

Can't remember when was the last time I was stopped by mobs - knowing the maps + Sprint IV do the job well.

Name

Cipher
$20 for one mission and a mount?

What happened?

Change in management?

What's next, a horse armor?
But you don't have to buy it? Only the mission is restricted to this purchase (rest can be obtained the normal way) and I imagine it's not essential to the plot.

They should slap a better looking price maybe, but the bike alone is worth 10$ as a big vanity thing (compare to prices for clothing sets). They have to make money somehow when the game is free and doesn't trick you into spending cash (for services, lockboxes etc.).

PS Don't forget about the 100$ golden sets :)

I have nothing against vanity and cosmetic items, but they are again trying to make things difficult (no pun intended, or is that a pun at all) by locking higher Sprinting level (V & VI) behind either $20 dollars or an insane amount of in-game PAX (grinding... or saving?). In effect they are bundling a "sidestories" mission pack with only one mission with the mount and easier access to higher sprinting level and selling it exclusively at the moment. It's not those kinds of tricks, but it's still a trick at making money. I understand the reality and I read that their "sidestories" didn't sell well to justify further installments, so they are really just scrambling for ways to make things work (i.e. make money).

Still, $20? That's twice of the price of an issue, and 2.5 sidestories pack.

They should try charging an small amount for the new Nightmare exclusive mini-Dungeon as well. Instead there are going to be at least 2 new Dungeons for the price of one issue. Group content players got the better deal :)

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
What's the sprint price in-game? Can't login until Sunday.

Not feeling outraged, because I don't feel like I need to buy this pack - nothing in it is essential.

hello friend

Arcane
Haven't played this game for ages. Anybody on Leviathan who could be bothered to boost me along a bit? Missing a couple of quests in kingsmouth map, haven't done more than a handful on next map. I like a lot of the missions, but combat is boring as hell and takes a long time.

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Haven't played this game for ages. Anybody on Leviathan who could be bothered to boost me along a bit? Missing a couple of quests in kingsmouth map, haven't done more than a handful on next map. I like a lot of the missions, but combat is boring as hell and takes a long time.
I'm on Grim, but it doesn't matter for PvE. I'm done for today, but starting tomorrow I'm ready to run around and look cool.

Checked the prices on the new sprints - 2mil for Sprint V and bazilions for Sprint VI. If I'll ever feel like buying them, it will be the bike pack from the shop.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom