Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Random Adventure Game News Thread

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
^ That's actually not a bad list. It does completely ignore 1st person adventure games, and includes a few dubious games, but all in all it's a surprisingly competent survey.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
The top 5 are reasonable (and LSL 6 is a defensible choice), but he should have included a Daedalic game.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
1 Sierra fans (aside from QfG fans)
There is Leisure Suit Larry game right behind QfG, Gabriel Knight makes 10th, and King's Quest 4 is on the list. That seems like a fairly good selection of Sierra games.

He seems to have limited his list to one game per series, which hurts Sierra as they did long running series.

Full Throttle is way too high though.

Sorry, I didn't realize Bee posted that article here, I made a thread about it, feel free to delete.

On topic, I don't feel shortchanged as a Sierra fan - he also ranked QfG4 pretty high, which is totally deserved. I do agree that the list is Lucasarts-biased and the criminal lack of first person stuff bothers me too, but overall I think it's a pretty worthy list, especially in light of being written for a mainstream outlet, as Bee pointed out.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
1 Sierra fans (aside from QfG fans)
There is Leisure Suit Larry game right behind QfG, Gabriel Knight makes 10th, and King's Quest 4 is on the list. That seems like a fairly good selection of Sierra games.

Yeah, I spoked too hastily there. It was more of a quip at the list being heavily LucasArts-dominated, though I must also admit I overlooked KQ being on it. I didn't really expect Cobbett to include it.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
He's right about the Dig. It's got to be the worst LucasArts adventure I've played (which means still good). Yet it has some kind of internet following I don't get. Probably a lot of people's first "serious" adventure game.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I could use to replay BR to test if my fond memories of it are not just pure nostalgia, but in all the cases when sitting in the chair would kill you there is a scorpion running across it when you enter the room. And I believe his complaint about the rat/plank puzzle is retarded in the same way, because I do not remember getting stuck on that.

tuluse

Arcane
I played Blade Runner just last year and thought it was great. Giving NPCs V-K tests will never get old, and the game features neat c&c and grey morality (of the real kind, not Bioware).

I did have some trouble with the rat/plank puzzle though. You are basically doomed to die the first time as you're just walking across that plank and the rat comes out of nowhere to eat you. So it is a little cheap. I don't even remember the scorpion chair.

That's not a bad list, but where the hell is Blade Runner?

Also this:
http://www.pcgamer.com/sacred-cows-killing-your-darlings-vol-1/
I should compliment the guy for remembering Christy Marx, the writer of my favourite Sierra adventure, Conquests of Camelot, and for rightfully calling out GTA 4's awfulness. Otherwise, that list is pretty shitty, he's really trying too hard on the KQ hate - and I loved Blade Runner back when it came out. Granted, I haven't played it in a very long time...

Was there ever a volume 2?

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Played with a walkthrough, you can finish it in just over an hour - a pathetic amount of time compared to games of the era that would add hours and hours of important gameplay time through simple techniques like mazes
This, and other parts of the DOTT review, make me think that Cobett is a masterful writer using the most hilarious inversion ever to show why these games are in fact the best adventure games ever made. Unfortunately, the alternative is that he's the stupidest person to ever write about video games, which would be quite a feat. Taking the article alone, Occam's razor suggests it MUST be the former. I am ever so slightly worried that, taking into account everything else he's ever written (and the fact that KQ is on the list - I like KQ, a lot, but it doesn't belong on a best ever list), it just might be the latter.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Sierra's Gold Rush! released on Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/308000/

(see here for more information: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/gog-com.69065/page-162#post-3261715)

Kind of expensive for such an old game, though, isn't it?

Crooked Bee What do you know, that German shovelware studio remake is coming out in two days: http://store.steampowered.com/app/319230/

In 1988, Rush appeared with Gold! in one of the most comprehensive adventure games of the 1980s. Now, the fondly remembered game, Gold Rush! has been developed anew, to today’s highest standards. No aspect of modern gaming has been overlooked. You can experience the famous California Gold Rush with high-resolution graphics, speech synthesis, a superb sound track and modern user interface features. Optimized game-flow will enhance your traveling and interactions with other characters of the period.

Gold Rush! takes you back to the year 1849, when gold was discovered in California. It was certainly one of the most exciting times in American history. Gold Rush! includes the three routes tens of thousands took to the gold regions. Become Jerrod Wilson and experience each trek as you travel from New York to California.

Whichever route you decide to take, you will see many historical sights. Try going overland across the Great Plains and huge mountain ranges, crossing the Isthmus of Panama, or rounding Cape Horn on the tip of South America. If you survive and arrive at Sutter’s Fort, the adventure is still only half over! Many other puzzles remain to be solved before you achieve your goals in California.

Features:
  • Over 130 pre-rendered images and animated scenes in full HD
  • Three different routes west (3 adventures in one game)
  • High quality voices and new recorded music
  • Subtitles in English or German (Point & Click!)
  • Optimized game-flow (minimizing dead-ends and random perils)
  • Two possibilities for controlling (original parser as well as a new intelligent Point&Click control)
  • [Digital version for Steam: Requires Steam account for installation (online connection necessary)]
  • [DRM-free, play without Steam and without internet connection]
Bonus item: (Normal Edition)
  • Historical map of the three routes
Bonus item: (Special Edition)
  • Over 90 unpublished original concept drawings of the developer from the 80s, as png
  • Booklet with unpublished original concept drawings of the developer from the 80s, as pdf
  • Making-of booklet, as pdf
  • Gold Rush! Classic version

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Played with a walkthrough, you can finish it in just over an hour - a pathetic amount of time compared to games of the era that would add hours and hours of important gameplay time through simple techniques like mazes
This, and other parts of the DOTT review, make me think that Cobett is a masterful writer using the most hilarious inversion ever to show why these games are in fact the best adventure games ever made. Unfortunately, the alternative is that he's the stupidest person to ever write about video games, which would be quite a feat. Taking the article alone, Occam's razor suggests it MUST be the former. I am ever so slightly worried that, taking into account everything else he's ever written (and the fact that KQ is on the list - I like KQ, a lot, but it doesn't belong on a best ever list), it just might be the latter.

Wait, what? You saw the end of that part, right?

And in case you haven't noticed, I am totally lying through my teeth about all of this to see how many people rush to the comment thread without bothering to read any of the words.

Last edited:

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Wait, what? You saw the end of that part, right?
No, I eventually stopped. Which brings us to: what's the point, exactly? Click- and comment-baiting? Because no matter that last phrase, I can't fathom any other reason for this. Especially when there ARE people who think that adventure games should only be played with a walkthrough and that fluff to increase the length is OK. I mean, we had these discussions here on the 'dex. So again.... what's the point?

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
So the Gold Rush remake is 29,99€ (25,49€ with the 15% discount): http://store.steampowered.com/app/319230/

:retarded:

It also looks like this:

ss_2c8adedfa1c42ea9cce89c0c2cd221f582bd4742.600x338.jpg

Also there's DLC and you don't even get the original version unless you pay 4,99€ extra.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
The entire Cryo catalog should be on GOG. There are some really obscure adventure games that almost nobody outside France likely played but I still have fond memories of them. Like Ring saga, Thorgal and Pompei trilogy.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
So the Gold Rush remake is 29,99€ (25,49€ with the 15% discount): http://store.steampowered.com/app/319230/

:retarded:

Check out the reviews.

Hi, what i liked is i was just about to start playing it ........

what i dont like is i cant play it now .....

wtf steam what happened ?

i only added it to my account an hour ago .... :(

afk for 30mins.... and yeah no go ?

I can not recommend this game as i have just found out the devs / steam made a mistake and have removed it from my library.

Bought the game - then after few hours it was revoken from me.

Don't buy from this publisher.

Devs mislabelled DLC as Special Edition of main game, try to blame people who bought it, remove the games from their libraries, all while pretending that it was labelled correctly the entire time we bought it. When proved wrong, tell people to "Ask steam for refund", despite Steam not allowing for this in their terms of service, before taking names for a list to get refunds to, despite some people having traded for those copies.

The game itself? Might be okay. I'd be able to write more if I had a chance to play it after buying it.

wtffffffff. More here: http://steamcommunity.com/app/319230/discussions/

Way to start on the right foot.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom