Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Random Adventure Game News Thread

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
So, two new adventure games on Steam, both actually released some time back but only recently greenlit.

Cognition: An Erica Reed Thriller

http://store.steampowered.com/app/242780/

Codex thread for Episode 1 can be found here.

==============

1953 - KGB Unleashed

http://store.steampowered.com/app/248490/

A Myst-like made by the Outcry/Sublustrum developers. See iqzulk's post here for more info (tl;dr he recommends it and it sounds pretty good).

Boleskine

Arcane
^ Good news. It was silly when Primordia had to go through Greenlight last fall even though Wadjet was an established developer/publisher on Steam already.

Redlands

Arcane
https://twitter.com/WadjetEyeGames/status/383656975000535041

The Shivah is getting released on Steam and he didn't even have to pay greenlight or anything. :eek: Hope this means Wadjet Eye is finally on Gabens guest list.

I like how they weren't allowed but the makers of Flying Farmer and Truck Simulation 20whatever were allowed on. I'm not a huge fan - I find Wadjet games more entertaining to watch than to actually play - but I still think the games were good enough to get on to Steam when Steam had... that on there.

Then again, this is a company which employs the creators of Old Man Murray, and well we all know their herp-a-derp article on the death of adventure games, so... :M.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Myst creator Rand Miller teases new Kickstarter project during IndieCade

“We’ve got some bigger ideas, some of them we’ve had for a while that we’d love to do and publishers were kind of like, ‘Yeah we want something new and different,’ and we’d show them and they’d go, ‘...Yeah, not that,’” said Miller.

“Kickstarter to me is an awesome opportunity, and so yeah, we’re putting together something for a larger project in the future.”

[...]

As for Cyan, is this possibly the “Latus” project the company teased a few years back? Potentially. I don’t even care. I just want to see Cyan get back into things. I want to fill entire pages with scribbled puzzle notes. Blue pages.

For now, we wait. Besides this tease, we’ve got nothing else to go on. Well, except Miller’s positive outlook.

“We’re not rich, and we’re not making tons of money and lots of that old money’s gone, but just having control and owning your destiny and being able to do what you want, it’s very satisfying,” said Miller—a sentiment the crowd full of independent developers certainly sympathized with.

Crooked Bee

Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Here's hoping they Kickstart a proper Myst-like adventure game and not some unrelated popamole crap.

Both Inner World and Lilly Looking Through look good. I'm having a blast with Oknytt at the moment though* which should satisfy my p'n'c adventure craving until Deponia III comes out, so I'll probably pick them up on a sale.

(* JudasIscariot If the Oknytt creator contacts you about getting his game on GOG, do accept it! It's a nice and very solid adventure game. ;) )

Crooked Bee

Patron
Speaking of Myst, is there a reason I should play the original instead of RealMyst?

I've heard that realMyst adds a new ending, iirc. For some reason I couldn't get it to run properly on my quad core i7 though -- I was getting like 10 FPS all the time :P Weird stuff.

Redlands

Arcane
Speaking of Myst, is there a reason I should play the original instead of RealMyst?

I've played both; I prefer the original version, but either's fine. The only real problem with realMyst aside from the engine not being top-notch was that the game's contents weren't really designed initially for being free-roaming, and as such walking around can be slow and not particularly interesting. But it's certainly fun to do, and there is an additional world to play when you get to the end (with a particularly nasty, clever puzzle if I'm not mixing it up with one of the other games).

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Hey now, Septerra Core was perfectly average back in 1999.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Lost Chronicles of Zerzura
Just saw this game today. Anyone who played this and can share impressions?

It's not on Steam (only one game of this developer, Mata Hari, is) but available here

EDIT: ugh, DTP Entertainment as publisher... that explains a lot. Probably why the developer is gone, too.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Zerzura is pretty good, the plot and locations still stick in my mind a year after playing it. Sort of a tastefully done Leonado da Vinci/Indiana Jones cross-over in Inquisition Spain. Not the sort of game that should sink a developer in a just world.

Didn't see this posted yet, but Frictional Games announced their next game, by the name of SOMA.

Here's a teaser trailer:

And the page for the game at http://www.somagame.com/

Don't get too enthusiastic though, as it's not coming out until 2015.

Hopefully they stay true to Penumbra and Amnesia and make a memorable game. The setting looks interesting anyway.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Goodbye Deponia has been released in Germany. It's easily the best of the series and very well done, with just two puzzles where the solution is completely unintuitive. The plot constantly serves up impersonations and mistaken identities, which made the story seem more dynamic and twisty than usual.

Most of the humor is still of the "Rufus cannot be this fucking dumb" variety, with the "Rufus casually ruins people's lives and kills a litter of kittens on live television" angle being more understated now. There are two very dirty "touching things in the dark" jokes and a brutally extended bit that involves tormenting a vegetarian child-eating slime monster.
Rufus' German voice actor is just perfect here, improbably saving utterly idiotic puns ("Wofür brauchst du denn den Brieföffner? - "Für Post." - "Welche Post denn?" - "Du post." - "Waas?" - "Na, du post. Du post zu mir."). Probably loses its charme in translation.

This is supposed to be the final installment of the series, even though the ending struck me as pretty obvious sequel bait. Possibly a marketing ploy.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Almost forgot: Daedalic also joins the noble anti-PC crusade by forcing the player to

break up an interracial relationship between two bums, pair the white dude with a brainwashing parasite who forces him sell fast food, then press the game's only black character to work as a dancing monkey before stealing all her earnings, justifying it all by saying "well, at least they both have jobs now"

Basically destined to be a Codex favourite.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom