Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Game News The New World Update #22: Faction Leaders Overview

Discussion in 'RPG News & Content' started by Infinitron, Dec 30, 2017.

1. Vault Dweller Commissar, Red Star Studio Developer

Vault Dweller
    Parrots:
    Click here and disable ads!
    Mazin's working on them as we speak.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Major_Blackhart Codexia Lord Sodom Patron

Major_Blackhart
    Parrots:
    Love your shit Vault Dweller
    I hope this game outperforms Age of Decadence and Dungeon Rats combined. Both those are gems.

• Brofist Brofist x 6
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Vault Dweller Commissar, Red Star Studio Developer

Vault Dweller
    Parrots:
    I hope so. Thanks.

• Salute Salute x 3
    ^ Top  
  4. screeg Iron Tower Studio Developer

screeg
    Parrots:
    Well said. Dis guy gets it.

• Agree Agree x 3
    ^ Top  
  5. hivemind Arcane

hivemind
    Parrots:
    tfw no gf
    will this have romances since it has more girl npcs
    it should imo

• Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. cherry blossom Magister

cherry blossom
    Parrots:
    It is a bit disappointing to hear the same excuses everybody else has been using since forever. It is a matter of what you choose to represent and whether you end up enforcing the same stereotypes over or start creating new possibilities. Not at all different than the design choices involved in mainstream vs. niche gaming genres. Even the act of making a game like AOD was a step against the wind in this sense. Why not carry the same attitude and underlying philosophy to all creative aspects of a game? It could only be more refreshing as a setting, more inviting to a wider range of players without compromising your niche core design (unless your design hinges on the game having a Dudebro setting) and more memorable as an experience. Otherwise, how is it any different than the school of thought behind mainstream game development?

But well, at least 2 out of 5 leaders is better than nothing. Thumbs up for that.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
    • WTF am I reading x 4
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • meh x 1
    • Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Lone Wolf Arcane

Lone Wolf
    Parrots:
    Considering that only about 26% of people who play WRPGs are female and that a far smaller percentage of those will go outside of the AAA bubble (your MEs, Elder Scrolls, Fallouts and the like), why do you believe that Vault Dweller should expend resources on some kind of 50/50 portrait/representation split?

His core audience - which is probably >85% male - is unlikely to be picking female portraits. Some will, most won't. In fact, you seem to have been around this forum long enough to understand that the people who play 'hardcore' RPGs represent a very specific sliver or cross-section of the community. How many women post here? Five? Ten? Would you say it's more than 2%? I wouldn't.

And knowing all that, you're going to push gender politics on the guy? Give me a break.

Yes, absolutely, this hardcore, old-school, turn-based WRPG (and every word in that descriptor is anathema to any sort of female audience) should be a vehicle for progressive gender politics, in which women, too, can be great warriors and can do anything that men can do. Mate, you might be an example of the one in a hundred female gamers who play these games. And you have your corollaries in the men who unironically play things like Princess Maker, or pet pony sims, or whatever.

But your exceptions do not mean that this guy, who is ultimately trying to make a living from game development, should be called out for not pandering or bending over backward to cater to a microscopic portion of his audience.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  8. HeatEXTEND Arbiter

HeatEXTEND
    Parrots:
    :hahyou:

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  9. Trashos Magister

Trashos
    Parrots:
    I do not mind the black leader, he fits a well-known stereotype in North America, after all. I am also willing to try the learn-by-doing ideas that VD has, even though I hate such systems, because I am interested to see what he finds exciting at this point and what ITS can do with it.

But if at some point ITS change things in order to reach new audiences (the ones everybody else is also trying to reach, you know, the non-racists/non-sexists who are specifically trying to reach certain races and women), they should not be surprised if part of their older audience abandons ship. There are things I do not find entertaining, and I am not willing to suffer through them in my entertainment time.

• Racist Racist x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. HeatEXTEND Arbiter

HeatEXTEND
    Parrots:
    :hahyou:

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  11. hivemind Arcane

hivemind
    Parrots:
    unironically a sterile, agenda-driven, 50-50 gender split would ruin my verisimilitude with the setting and I would enjoy the game a lot less
    like the "stereotypes" are literally based on real-life gender differences and culture trends arising from them, ignoring those is just bad writing

the matriarchal mutant thing is cool tho because of the unique conditions from which their culture arose

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. cherry blossom Magister

cherry blossom
    Parrots:
    The insecurity of some men, terrified of women in their games... almost the same as the insecurity of mainstream gamers terrified of good design with depth in their games.

• hopw roewur ne x 2
    • [citation needed] x 1
    • butthurt x 1
    • Old x 1
    • M'lady x 1
    • retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. hivemind Arcane

hivemind
    Parrots:
    did u just assume my gender

• Funny x 6
    • Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    • it is a mystery x 1
    • Bad Spelling x 1
    • retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Jrpgfan Savant

Jrpgfan
    Parrots:
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Rage Rage x 2
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Lone Wolf Arcane

Lone Wolf
    Parrots:
    Lame.

I'm not questioning women in games. I welcome women both playing games and being represented in them. What I'm questioning is the economic reality behind what you're asking, here. Specifically you. With respect to this game. Considering the target audience and its core demographic.

The second women represent a larger part of that audience/demographic, he should of course put more effort into meeting a demand.

^ Top  
  16. Fenix Liturgist Vatnik

Fenix
    Parrots:
    Interstellar brothel anyone?

Agree, I would prefer to see a story, where the Ship was launched in a our near future, were matriarchy won, so society consist from agressive, power-hungry women, who is easily managable because of their families, who aren't able to pursue the achievement of any principles and act in pursuit of abstract principles, society that stale like a swamp, so the situation on a Ship can be used to show a disastrous dead end of humanity, and how that mission doomed to failure, untill some masculine mutant man arose from the wastelands of the Ship...

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Jrpgfan Savant

Jrpgfan
    Parrots:
    The Promised Land.

I hope this feminazi rant doesn't affect the way VD builds this place.

• retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. cherry blossom Magister

cherry blossom
    Parrots:
    Hey, feminazi is better than straight up nazi, which is what most of counter non-arguments boil down to :M:

• [citation needed] x 2
    • Disagree x 1
    • butthurt x 1
    • Racist x 1
    • WTF am I reading x 1
    • Doggy x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. M. AQVILA Savant

M. AQVILA
    Parrots:
    Honestly I could understand your complaints if there was no option to play as a woman. But does it matter whether or not there are female faction leaders in the game?

The insecurity of some women, terrified of men in their games...

• Salute Salute x 2
    • [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Elhoim Iron Tower Studio Developer

Elhoim
    Parrots:
    [​IMG]

Added Ava Miller.

The ECLSS 'monks' are heavily augmented. Low in numbers, they rely on augmentations to boost longevity and analytical abilities. Coincidentally, it makes them less human.

• Brofist x 8
    • incline x 3
    • Salute x 2
    • Informative x 2
    • hopw roewur ne x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. hivemind Arcane

hivemind
    Parrots:
    every girl so far is top tier waifu material

add romances

• incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. GarfunkeL Racism Expert

GarfunkeL
    Parrots:
    Cherry asked for more female characters in the game itself. And you rant about how having more than token female characters in the game would be pandering to a non-existing female audience and be gender politics? Jesus fucking christ on a pogo-stick, talk about being triggered.

Of course it does. Variety and diversity among characters is a richness and improves a game - as long as they are well thought out. It's boring to have SCHEMING WHITE GUY #75 once more, especially when a game setting does not force it.

• retadred retadred x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Racist Racist x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Jrpgfan Savant

Jrpgfan
    Parrots:
    muh diversity

Let the man put whoever the fuck he wants to in his own godamn game you bunch of annoying fucks.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Lone Wolf Arcane

Lone Wolf
    Parrots:
    ... I couldn't care less about how many female characters exist in the game. I care about the notion that VD should cater to the female demographic, which the poster in question posited, specifically. Which is ridiculous nonsense.

Jesus fucking Christ on a pogo-stick, talk about your shitty reading comprehension first, before having a go, mate.

Didn't see this bit, or chose to ignore it?

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Fenix Liturgist Vatnik

Fenix
    Parrots:
    I can not decide how to insult you for now, only woke up.

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)