Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The New DOOM Thread (2016)

Derek Larp

Cipher
Honestly, what's wrong with Brutal Doom?
I haven't played it yet, but it looks fun as hell.

It's really fun for some time but you're fed with it fast.

This.

It's awesome at first, it's loud and violent and bloody and excessive, and also funny as shit when you flip off the cyberdemon and get a reaction or yell one-liners from the doom comic. You'll think to yourself: 'This will never get old'. But it does, eventually.

Also, Major_Blackhart , you should try it, it's free!

toroid

Arcane
I'm playing Doom with Beauty Doom 5.3 + PSX music WAD right now and I actually think it's an okay game.
Whatever you want to believe.

Personally I think that the PSX's more atmospheric OST suits the game less than the best of metal ripoff original.

The PSX soundtrack does significantly change the feel of the game, and gives it more of a dark horror overtone. Which I happen to like.

Anyway, I could only listen to the original music a few hundred times before it became pretty fucking grating. PSX music is easier on the ears and is more inviting in my opinion.

edit:
Had some other thoughts on the music. The original music encouraged me to consider Doom as a frenetic thoughtless shooter with a Schwarzenegger action hero as the protagonist. The PSX music puts me into a different mindset where I'm more inclined to slow down and dwell on the horrific details that are present. It really feels more appropriate to me.

Last edited:

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
My steam pic is Doomguy and has been for years. Hipsters
edit- this whole thing is a bit depressing. As I've posted several places here, I still play Doom 2 WADs with one of my friends on a really regular basis. I love the game, and I think it's shit that that type of FPS has basically been abandoned since Half Life came out. I really really want Doom 4 to be a great game. If it's not, it will just push me farther into cynicism about the competence of modern game devs.
edit 2- Or possibly their audience. They have mortgages to pay, so I understand why Call of Duty is a yearly franchise. The people to blame for Call of Duty are not the devs, it's the consumers

Last edited:

dnf

Pedophile
Dumbfuck Shitposter
Honestly, what's wrong with Brutal Doom?
I haven't played it yet, but it looks fun as hell.
There's nothing wrong with the mod at all. It's people arguing that brootal Doom is the "definitive version" of Doom, or that vanilla Doom is "outdated" who are the problem. Because they're dumb. And stupid. And FAGGOTS
Correct me if i'm wrong, but the argument used in favor of proving that vanilla Doom is not outdated is because Doom was designed to play with yesterday's hardware, with all their limitations. Does that really proves that Doom is not outdated by today's standards in any meaningful way? Also, how many vanilla Doom apologists in this board play the Dos version off Doom? Bonus points if they play on the native hardware, MS-DOS or Win 95 or Win 98, and off course, no mouse-look, because mouse-look is for FAGGOTS.

Now, here is a novel concept that anyone should take note: Being outdated in some way doesn't mean it's not fun anymore. Shocking, i know.

When browsing the Ziggurat Vertigo blog, he posted a video of a guy killing a Cyber demon in BD using headshots with a Rocket launcher, as an argument against the mod. In BD's defence, making sucessive headshots take skill, and not everyone can pull it off. In my personal experience, i remember having trouble fighting Cyber demon in BD.Nobody seem's to like bullet sponge enemies, but somehow it is ok with doom i guess. Bullet sponge bosses is the reason FPS's are ditching boss fights in favor of set pieces and i can't say i disagree, i don't really remember a memorable boss fight in an FPS, with the exception of Half-life, but hl bosses are set-pieces.

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
There is nothing wrong with bullet sponges unless your game strives to be realistic yet provides no feasible explanation for the sponging. Even though Doom doesn't strive to be ultra realistic they ARE demons so it has a feasible explanation regardless. Bullet sponges are good: no demon, monster or what have you can be something to fear and provide a challenge if they are downed in one hit.
People who blindly complain about bullet sponges are fucktards. Sponges can be bad, but it's rare a game unnecessarily features them.

Bullet sponge bosses is the reason FPS's are ditching boss fights in favor of set pieces and i can't say i disagree

No, it's because 95% of modern FPS designers are mindless puppets for corporations, or they simply lack talent.

Anyway, agreed with the rest of what you said. Now you actually have to aim (and you're likely to waste a couple rockets aiming solely for the Cyberdemon's head), the monsters have more health, and the Cyberdemon's rocket's have a larger blast radius too IIRC.

buzz

Arcane
DosBox with no mouselook up in dis bitch! :dance:

Well, I mostly play Blood on Dosbox but I load Doom sometimes from there as well.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
There is no single leaked image from the game but it's confirmed - there will be animated comics strips that explain in-game story
ARJEb.jpg

Coriolanus

Learned
The Brutal Doom v. vanilla argument is a bit extraneous, they are both very different and enjoyable. Vanilla is elegant, simple and satisfying to master. Brutal Doom is hard, hectic and messy - and it's satisfying just to stay alive.

Last edited:

baturinsky

Arcane
Brutal doom is not that different from vanilla, actually. But it adds some depth, and does not break anything in original formula, so I play with it nearly always.

Speaking of doom mods - I recommend Urban Brawl and BoomDoom. First is cell-shaded Beat-em-Up, second makes all guns genocidal - both yours and enemies.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The Brutal Doom v. vanilla argument is a bit extraneous, they are both very different and enjoyable. Vanilla is elegant, simple and satisfying to master. Brutal Doom is hard, hectic and messy - and it's satisfying just to stay alive.
In some ways, brutal doom is actually easier than vanilla.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Yeah, it's from shitty webcomic (copy-pasted faces and everything, lot of words but not much sense nor jokes), about miscarriage.

Tehdagah

Arcane
In some ways, brutal doom is actually easier than vanilla.
You meant to say "in a very few ways".

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
You have no sense of humor Luzur

Hating CTRL+ALT+DEL is a thing. I'm not sure how or why it became a thing, particularly since there are far worse web-comics out there that don't get as much hate, but posting content from CTRL+ALT+DEL will invariably result in people telling you just how shitty that shit is, with real animosity behind it.

To me, CTRL+ALT+DEL is like Penny Arcade except with jokes that actually make sense. But maybe that's why everybody hates it. Clean, simple jokes are too old fashioned in this day and age. You need edgy or trololo random if you want to be taken seriously, just like Penny Arcade.

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
You have no sense of humor Luzur

Hating CTRL+ALT+DEL is a thing. I'm not sure how or why it became a thing, particularly since there are far worse web-comics out there that don't get as much hate, but posting content from CTRL+ALT+DEL will invariably result in people telling you just how shitty that shit is, with real animosity behind it.

To me, CTRL+ALT+DEL is like Penny Arcade except with jokes that actually make sense. But maybe that's why everybody hates it. Clean, simple jokes are too old fashioned in this day and age. You need edgy or trololo random if you want to be taken seriously, just like Penny Arcade.
As I understand it, though, that's not actually CAD content. It's a parody of this image:
cad-20080602-358b1.jpg

It doesn't make sense to claim he's a CAD hater when it's a parody of CAD that he's not getting.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom