Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The New DOOM Thread (2016)

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
There's a button to strafe and a button to sprint.

As a modern player you never consider that there could be a sprint key because your default speed already has you racing.

VonVentrue

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
I think you have to do something to have colored lighting in software mode, but the difference is interesting:

*comparison picture*

Software mode is how a play Quake 1 because it definitely looks better. Never tried it in Quake 2.

You can get the best of both worlds - the coloured lighting OpenGL renderer provides plus the detailed, non-washed out textures native to the software mode - by disabling texture filtering (gl_texturemode gl_nearest_mipmap_linear).

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Inb4 Doom 4 speed run - 12 hours (cutscenes excluded).

Don't worry, the single player campaign will be 3-5 hours long (2h cutscenes included) like with any modern shooter.
So the speed might be slow, but the distance to cover will be smaller even.

yellowcake

Arcane
Yeah uh good luck trying to look at those cube-head graphics now.

GOOD. LUCK.

I played Jedi Knight and MotS (straight versions with only official patches) recently on the rig described in my sig. Graphics has great style but I admit that colored lighting in MOTS was a nice improvement.

Last edited:

tormund

Arcane
Don't worry, the single player campaign will be 3-5 hours long (2h cutscenes included) like with any modern shooter.
So the speed might be slow, but the distance to cover will be smaller even.
Eh, if other recent "old schol" "retro" singleplayer shooters like The New Order and Shadow Warrior are anything to go by, you'll end up wishing that campaign was only 3-5 hours long...

Black

Arcane
It's an ID game though.
Finally got around to posting these.
A7paejM.png

0iCDTaU.png

"ID" game :lol:

Astral Rag

Arcane
Escalation Studios, known for their work on Outlaw Space, Eternal Fate, are working on Bethesda’s Doom. Yes, the studio is helping out with the next installment in this popular demon slayer.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Yeah uh good luck trying to look at those cube-head graphics now.

GOOD. LUCK.

I'm disappointed my friend. Those games have aged far better than many of the titles released this decade. (I actually wrote that as derpcade the first time. Pretty appropriate actually.)

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
I'm disappointed my friend. Those games have aged far better than many of the titles released this decade. (I actually wrote that as derpcade the first time. Pretty appropriate actually.)

DF2: Jedi Knight suffers from the terrible disease known as "1st gen 3D graphics". Its PS1-style cubeheads have not aged well at all. I've not seen any high-res addons or whether they increase polygon counts... just the original.

yellowcake

Arcane
1st gen 3D graphics are awesome. Or do you think only mimetic representation is valid. We only had this discussion 150 years ago last time.

Last edited:
except for the fact that impressionists/cubists weren't constrained by technology. it's not even remotely the same debate. Late-90's 3d graphics were rarely intentionally abstract and stylized, they strove for whatever realism was possible within the constraints of the technology at the time.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
DF2: Jedi Knight suffers from the terrible disease known as "1st gen 3D graphics". Its PS1-style cubeheads have not aged well at all. I've not seen any high-res addons or whether they increase polygon counts... just the original.

Vagrant Story featured some solid 1st Gen graphics which still impress me to this day. I think Jedi Knight is much the same way. I recently watched some videos on it. I think it holds up. Maybe it's because I have the nostalgia attached to it, but I'm no graphics whore. The gameplay in Jedi Knight is what elevates it to the next level. Doom is the same way. The envirnments in Doom 1 and 2 still look great. With modders taking that to the next level, it shows what older games can really pull off, as far as graphical and technical advancements go. So you don't need HD modpacks, or fancy ENB shit to enjoy older games like Jedi Knight, Doom, Half-Life, or Leisure Suit Larry. Forget that last one. ;)

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Sprite-based games of the past hold up much better than first polygon-based titles. That's just how it is. All things being equal, Doom had sprites for enemies, which still look great today.

Half-Life was far, FAR, more graphically advanced than Jedi Knight. It was several generations ahead visually (even if the gameplay is far inferior).

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
IIRC the problem with Jedi Knight's characters was not the models themselves (or their blockheads) but the b0rked way textures were applied to them. I remember, especially on stormtroopers, that the textures would move around their designated places, resullting in a dude's face suddenly melting into his neck or something.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Sprite-based games of the past hold up much better than first polygon-based titles. That's just how it is. All things being equal, Doom had sprites for enemies, which still look great today.

Half-Life was far, FAR, more graphically advanced than Jedi Knight. It was several generations ahead visually (even if the gameplay is far inferior).

My point is all of those games are dated, yet they are still visually appealing despite their limitations. I'm aware of their differences of course, especially the massive leap from Jedi Knight to Half-Life. I used Half-Life as an example since it set a high bar at the time it came out. I guess it comes down to gameplay trumping graphics, at least as far as I am concerned. Jedi Knight does have some fugly looking characters but nothing that I would deem completely off putting, especially when the combat is still unmatched in many ways. I have definitely seen worse around that time frame. I think judging the game upon the time they were released is essential even when replaying them today. Hell, I'm looking at it right now and I think it looks good. *shrug*

otsego

Cipher

I've tried searching the speed running communities but I couldn't find a real answer -- why does this guy skip the super secret level (Grosse map32)??

Any codexers have the answer? You'd logically think if you're speed running a full game and include one secret, you'd make it 100% complete by adding the OTHER secret level?

Quick research says both secret levels aren't required for consideration... But... Why?

dunno lah

Arcane
Arbitrariness? In his video description, he does state that speedruns merely require you to finish the game as fast as you can. But NM 100S and UV-max require completing all levels.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom