Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The New DOOM Thread (2016)

Inspectah

Savant
That looked like a joke video. They talk about how there's always something more wanting to kill you and that there's always lots of monsters, and then cut to to doomguy shooting 2 dudes.
Then they say that you can never stop and it's super fast and you can't just focus on one guy and then cut to doomguy shooting, stoping to shoot one guy, slow mo to change weapons, stoping again...what a mess

Quake was raped by Quake 2.

Nope.

Q2's only flaw is being inferior to The Reckoning and maybe Ground Zero.

The Reckoning on hard difficulty is the best single player fps I've ever experienced.

Stop killing my child memories.

Compare those boring Doom 4 trailers to this awesomeness of Xatrix's masterpiece:

Last edited:

Venser

Erudite
The more footage I see, the less excited I'm excited about the new Dooom. The movement is so slow it hurts to watch and multiplayer looks like shit.

Nope.

The Reckoning on hard difficulty is the best single player fps I've ever experienced.

Both The Reckoning and Ground Zero were pretty forgettable and bland.
I used to love Quake 2 single player and I wish I could play it "properly" sometimes again but many, many years of Quake multiplayer made me so good that it's impossible for me not to speedrun through it. As for the multiplayer, I kinda regularly play deathmatch (on 150-200 ping these days) but I don't really like Q2 duels. The slower gameplay (compared to other Quakes), slow rockets, rail and map design all support campy style rather than aggressive play. If you watch any pro game on dm1, half of the match you'll just see a guy camping in the mega room.

DraQ

Arcane
Even in purely technical sense the only thing Q2 got from Q1 was the title. By this standard FO3 is 100% true to the originals.
I haven't played Reckoning nor GZ, but if that's its only flaw, then they must be pretty shit as well, so...
...I take the above with a grain of salt.
Umm... No?

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
inb4 thread gets split with the title "Quake 2 vs Quake 1 Discuss !!11!"

Anywho Doom 4 looks more like Bulletstorm 2 with a Doom coat of paint. Complete with enemies floating when you do a melee thing to them and a huge bulking main character. The lackluster looking guns, and the slow movement is only icing on the shit cake.

Kutulu

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex
Yeah Game looks slow & boring...
Also brutal doom atleast for me was something that was funny for like 5mins and thats it.

Alfons

Prophet
I think only Willits is still there from the old team? And just a few days they opened a new office in Germany which is ironic since Doom will be banned there for sure.
http://www.bethblog.com/2015/08/05/now-hiring-id-software-hiring-for-new-office-in-frankfurt/

Also it's "id" as a part of mind (id, ego, superego), not "ID".
Thank you. Registering only to point out a spelling mistake and explaining to me that my sarcastic remark is illogical, that is considerate.

Venser

Erudite
Thank you. Registering only to point out a spelling mistake and explaining to me that my sarcastic remark is illogical, that is considerate.

It's not just a spelling mistake, it's understanding the name. I've met so many id fans who still think it's an abbreviation. Yeah you got me, I totally registered just to point that out ;)

A horse of course

Behead Alfons

It's pronounced "I D" however, because id themselves are morons and fail to grasp how much more profound the former sounds.

Unreal had pretty colored lighting.
Q2 had "I don't know what the fuck I'm doing" colored lighting.

Then play fusion.bsp, gorgeus lightning without any additional mods, mapmaker squeezed out of Q2 what original creators weren't capable of.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom