Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Nature of The Codex - 2010 Top 5 Results

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Ah shit. Thanks anyway, bro. Always good to know someone will be right behind me when the assrape goes down.

Its entirely possible that a lot of people simply haven't played MotB. Ridiculously bad engine that can bring any system to single digit FPS if it feels like it, annoying as hell AI, really bad combat, etc etc. Most of all, being an expansion to a relatively mediocre game. The argument 'pay $50 for this sack of shit you should never play, then buy the good expansion for another $40' isn't all that persuasive no matter how good the game is.

I wouldn't hold liking BG2 against anyone. I don't think its the best game, but its decent. If you really like large games with a crap ton of stuff to do in it, thats fine. I think most of the hate comes from the fact that its from the Forgotten Realms in what is now considered a bland setting with a bland plot, but thats because its only been copied 10 times over by now.

Turjan

Arcane
Overweight Manatee said:
Its entirely possible that a lot of people simply haven't played MotB.
I haven't played MotB yet. That means I would have to finish NWN2 first, or not? I have tried to finish NWN2 a few times so far, but I always give up in disgust. I'm stuck in this fight - cutscene - fight - cutscene - fight - cutscene... (and so on) part near the keep you get.

Turjan said:
Overweight Manatee said:
I haven't played MotB yet. That means I would have to finish NWN2 first, or not? I have tried to finish NWN2 a few times so far, but I always give up in disgust. I'm stuck in this fight - cutscene - fight - cutscene - fight - cutscene... (and so on) part near the keep you get.

No, you don't have to play through NWN2 to start with MotB. But if you are like me, the thought that you are missing something by entering a character half way even through everyone tells you that you won't will always force you to start off with NWN2.

Turjan

Arcane
Overweight Manatee said:
No, you don't have to play through NWN2 to start with MotB. But if you are like me, the thought that you are missing something by entering a character half way even through everyone tells you that you won't will always force you to start off with NWN2.
Hmm, maybe I should consider this. My problem lies a bit deeper. I think I just hate high level D&D combat. I originally got to the fight with the Nightcrawler, but when that one went south, I noticed I had not saved for hours. Which means, I know that the next hours of gameplay will suck.

As MotB is also high level D&D, I fear the same for the expansion.

Turjan said:
Overweight Manatee said:
Hmm, maybe I should consider this. My problem lies a bit deeper. I think I just hate high level D&D combat. I originally got to the fight with the Nightcrawler, but when that one went south, I noticed I had not saved for hours. Which means, I know that the next hours of gameplay will suck.

As MotB is also high level D&D, I fear the same for the expansion.

Yes, NWN2 implementation of D&D is horrible. And epic D&D is worse. Altogether, I would rate the combat as bad or worse then Arcanum.

mister_matt

Educated
Overweight Manatee said:
Turjan said:
Overweight Manatee said:

See, this is what happened to me. MotB was supposed to be some epic expansion to the medicore NWN2 experience, but I never got around to purchasing it, because I never got around to finishing my NWN2 game. There were a lot of things in the game that just really annoyed me and made it difficult to play. I think that, combined with the need to finish the unfinished will probably stop me from ever playing the expansion. I remember reading about the game a long time before it was released and I was extremely :( playing it because it didn't really live up to all the hype that I built for it.

Reject_666_6

Arcane
I think it helps to play NWN2 before you play MotB for the first time because the shittyness of it will make MotB seem even better.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Grunker said:
commie said:
Hmm, I wonder if people are just going with the herd. I had a couple of games that wouldn't make it anywhere here but they shaped my RPG gaming experience. People seem to vote for the 'officially sanctioned' greats rather than what they honestly like the most.

Or people actually like the 'sanctioned great' which could be one of the reasons they've become sanctioned great.

I mean Lands of Lore defines my RPG experience but I would never put it up there with the great ones.

...yeah, you're right. Your conspiracy-theory is much more fun, let's go with that.

People 'like' what they are conditioned to like. They may indeed like the 'greats' but there is a fine line and being beaten over the head with the bloated erection of the gaming nirvana(as sanctified by the Codex) tends to make the more impressionable Codexers just think "aw shucks, I like Might and Magic IV about the same amount as PS: T so I'll just vote for PS :T".

The same social engineering thing works with pre-election polls. People may like Candidate X, but since in polls he is only said to have 20% of the votes, then they decide to vote for the one more likely to win.

I'd like to see how it would be if the Codex just spent the next year vilifying and ridiculing PS:T and it's fans. I think that it wouldn't make the top 5 games next year.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Fuck, Commie, you actually think people been around long enough for that? Granted, few would admit to like BG2 better than Fallout 2 (oops, I did it again), but the poll seems pretty honest when those games can climb so high. I'd admit one or two votes might have gone the way of that, but fuck man. Most of all you sound like someone who's butthurt that your favourite game didn't win. Sorry, dude.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Grunker said:
Fuck, Commie, you actually think people been around long enough for that? Granted, few would admit to like BG2 better than Fallout 2 (oops, I did it again), but the poll seems pretty honest when those games can climb so high. I'd admit one or two votes might have gone the way of that, but fuck man. Most of all you sound like someone who's butthurt that your favourite game didn't win. Sorry, dude.

Well I actually only voted for the games I finished, not the ones that I almost finished but lost my saves such as PS:T for which I haven't had the time since to try to finish again. Fallout DID come top so I'm not bothered. Actually you have to be pretty lame to care that others didn't like something you like. Fuck, I like AP for example and don't give a fuck about the haters!

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
commie said:
Grunker said:

Well I actually only voted for the games I finished, not the ones that I almost finished but lost my saves such as PS:T for which I haven't had the time since to try to finish again. Fallout DID come top so I'm not bothered. Actually you have to be pretty lame to care that others didn't like something you like. Fuck, I like AP for example and don't give a fuck about the haters!

I won't argue with you, but what the fuck has that got to do with my point? I said you sound like you're butthurt. Especially since the poll seems pretty accurate to me.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Grunker said:
commie said:
Grunker said:

I won't argue with you, but what the fuck has that got to do with my point? I said you sound like you're butthurt. Especially since the poll seems pretty accurate to me.

Hey Foo Man Chu, I already said that I picked Fallout as my fav game so am not butthurt at all. Also had Bloodlines on the list.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Great, so you love the same games as everyone else. Everyone else is just conditioned to like them. Not you though, you're truly elite ;)

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Grunker said:
Great, so you love the same games as everyone else. Everyone else is just conditioned to like them. Not you though, you're truly elite ;)

Just because I picked a couple doesn't mean I picked them all! Oh and I am truly elite as I got them when they came out and decided they would be in my top 5 of all time ;)

cutterjohn

Cipher
4. Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines 61
This is even more insane than those realtime AD&D abominations made by Bioware(and associates) being in any top 10 list...

...and... this...
8. Deus Ex 33
is an even bigger abomination, a FPS?! with feeble RPG pretensions?!

Turjan

Arcane
Cloaked Figure said:
It's probably important to note that the difference between FO2 and Bloodlines is only a matter of two votes, so we could say that they pretty much share the same level of popularity, at least based on these results.
And BGII is only one vote away from FO2 *shrug*.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom