Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic The Might and Magic Discussion Thread

What is the best Might & Magic game in the series?

• Might and Magic: Book I

Votes: 17 2.3%
  • Might and Magic II: Gates to Another World

Votes: 29 3.9%
  • Might and Magic III: Isles of Terra

Votes: 59 8.0%
  • Might and Magic: World of Xeen

Votes: 182 24.6%
  • Might and Magic: Swords of Xeen

Votes: 5 0.7%
  • Might and Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven

Votes: 210 28.4%
  • Might and Magic VII: For Blood and Honor

Votes: 129 17.4%
  • Might and Magic VIII: Day of the Destroyer

Votes: 26 3.5%
  • Might and Magic IX

Votes: 10 1.4%
  • Might and Magic X

Votes: 73 9.9%

• Total voters

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Yup Octavius I already had the 6 pack game but I got the other for like 5 dolars and its a huge steal even with M&M8 and 9
After reading this thread and the one on M&MX I got really nostalgic and today I spent all afternoon playing M&M3 which is my favorite just edgeing World of Xeen
Such a great fucking series I can only hope X is a worthy succesor

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Well, maybe when someone play both HoM&M and M&M for story, then maybe. M&M alone is only confuse and work as excuse for adventure sake. So yeah, we're again world savior...

WoX2 demo... looks like M&M9 except it doesn't looks like shit (srsly, it was THAT awful ugly). Could try because I cannot into M&M5 WoX or even M&M3.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Does anyone actually play the M&M and HoMM games for the story?
Grunker

octavius: judging on the previous debates concerning M&MXL, loads of people on the dex find trash "nerds-own-home-brewed-fantasy-world-with-aliens" to be actual quality. Including wonderful, sexy bros like Sceptic. Personally, I couldn't care less. Story is at most a nifty aside in my Might & Magic.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Yeah I can barely remember the storyline behind Sheltem and Torak to be honesty, storyfags might get some enjoyment out of the later M&M games but on the earlier ones you enjoyed them for the gameplay alone. There are some story elements which you can pierce together to tell the storyline, for example the whole "mermaid marries the necromancer and illusionist" angle was pretty neat on M&M3 but they are more of a sidestory if you care to pay attentiom besides looking for clues

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
Yeah I can barely remember the storyline behind Sheltem and Torak to be honesty

It's Corak, not Torak :x!

Joking aside, I'm surprised that the overall story for the series achieved such a degree of consistency, with no significant retcons that I'm aware of.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Been playing M&M3 and it is the very definition of comfort food for RPGs; if the earlier FF games where great for their gameplay simplicity this game is even better with all sort of memories from when I first played it almost 18 years ago...
I was thinking of using the modern "patch" but reading some reviews it makes too mnany changes.
Seeing the WoX2 game with real time combat was a huge turnoff for me and probably by the time I am done with M&M3 I will check out either 2 or finaly give 6 a proper playthrough and then make my mind if I want to buy X

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Been playing M&M3 and it is the very definition of comfort food for RPGs; if the earlier FF games where great for their gameplay simplicity this game is even better with all sort of memories from when I first played it almost 18 years ago...
I was thinking of using the modern "patch" but reading some reviews it makes too mnany changes.

I recommend using the unoffical patch, but not the respawn patch. They are both made by the same guy. The UOP only fixes things, while the respawn patch inlcudes the UOP, but also "balances" things.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Ok found it Octavious but the patching proccess got me stumped; so I need a hex editor or a diferent program to patch the mm3 exe? Could you help a brother out? ;)

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Ok found it Octavious but the patching proccess got me stumped; so I need a hex editor or a diferent program to patch the mm3 exe? Could you help a brother out? ;)

Now that you mention it, it was a rather convoluted process involving having to download a third party program. So it may not worth the hassle just for the two bug fixes.

Luzur

Good Sir
Well, maybe when someone play both HoM&M and M&M for story, then maybe. M&M alone is only confuse and work as excuse for adventure sake. So yeah, we're again world savior...

WoX2 demo... looks like M&M9 except it doesn't looks like shit (srsly, it was THAT awful ugly). Could try because I cannot into M&M5 WoX or even M&M3.

LOL WAT

i played Heroes the first time after i finished several MM games (i think it was MM5) and i got the plot for the main RPG series perfectly without it.

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
Just tried the WoX2 demo. It's a well respectable work, but you can see the lack of polish. It's a good reminder to see how important polish really is. Skyrim suffers the same.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Roughy halfway though MM3 with most of the caves (but dragon cave) done and already have golden card and 4 of the 6 cards. Going to do the castle dungeons, and Halls of Insanity tomorrow.
It is sometimes quite astounding to me having done this game when I was 16 some of the puzzles like the Fortress of Fear, Magic Cavern riddle and some of the puzzles seem to be too tough for a kid...but somehow I managed.
I am playing amost everything without cheating by using codes or notes which I actualy kept from my prior playthrough (!) In those handy NWC watermarked notepads :D
Andbody knows if you get a better final score for doing everyhting or finishing as fast as possible? I like to take my time but knowing the locations of wells and tactics, plus healthy savescuming on treasure caches and chests already have my party in the 30 although the Roc birds in the desert and the minotaur in the swamp can still kick my butt without much trouble so I don't feel like a badass

Luzur

Good Sir
Roughy halfway though MM3 with most of the caves (but dragon cave) done and already have golden card and 4 of the 6 cards. Going to do the castle dungeons, and Halls of Insanity tomorrow.
It is sometimes quite astounding to me having done this game when I was 16 some of the puzzles like the Fortress of Fear, Magic Cavern riddle and some of the puzzles seem to be too tough for a kid...but somehow I managed.
I am playing amost everything without cheating by using codes or notes which I actualy kept from my prior playthrough (!) In those handy NWC watermarked notepads :D
Andbody knows if you get a better final score for doing everyhting or finishing as fast as possible? I like to take my time but knowing the locations of wells and tactics, plus healthy savescuming on treasure caches and chests already have my party in the 30 although the Roc birds in the desert and the minotaur in the swamp can still kick my butt without much trouble so I don't feel like a badass

well, i dont think so, but i guess you'll get the highest points for grinding.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
AFAIK all the M&M games reward you for completing them quickly. So does the HoMM games. But completing all side quests should affect the score the most.

Luzur

Good Sir
AFAIK all the M&M games reward you for completing them quickly. So does the HoMM games. But completing all side quests should affect the score the most.

not the earlier ones (MM1-5), if i am not mistaken, they just give you an overall score based on how much you done.

octavius

Arcane
Patron

not the earlier ones (MM1-5), if i am not mistaken, they just give you an overall score based on how much you done.

Hmm...the victory screen says how many days you used, so I figured it was part of the equation.

Luzur

Good Sir

Hmm...the victory screen says how many days you used, so I figured it was part of the equation.

this is a kinda hazy memory, but doesnt days, weeks, months and years counting start in MM6?

octavius

Arcane
Patron

this is a kinda hazy memory, but doesnt days, weeks, months and years counting start in MM6?

Checking my victory screens from MM2 and MM3 I think you are right. MM2 lists number of battles and how many of them were lost and won, but MM3 just prints the score.

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
I was never interested in blobbers as they always seemed to me so static and boring and too focused on the combat. However, I wanted to try something completely new this time and so I played and finished “M&M3: Isles of Terra”. Here are a few impressions:

The sense of exploration in this game is simply great. A look at the world map alone makes you want to go on adventures. However, I soon realized that the gigantic continents of the world map can easily be traversed by simply making just a few steps in whatever direction. The world isn't that big at all. Specific obstacles like enemies, mountains and oceans stop you from being able to go everywhere right from the beginning without feeling like an artificial limitation. This makes the world seem much bigger than it actually is. The differently themed regions with their own unique enemies added to the feeling, as did Coraks notes on all the locations. When you later get access to different means of transportation and can teleport your ass from one part of the world to the next in an instant - it really gives you a sense of your progression.

Since the enemies don't scale to your level it was a big part of the fun to come up with (more or less) creative strategies to deal with powerful enemies.. maybe I don't have too kill that Dragon when I can lure him away from his pile of gold and then simply teleport past him and loot his lair? Maybe a henchmen can help? Maybe this fountain that buffs my stats? The sense of accomplishment when you finally dealt with the problem was great and there are always nice rewards for a clever play style.. Teleporting from the +20-level-fountain directly into the cave of the Cyclops king and bash his head in was glorious.

The puzzles..Maybe I am a moron or am simply not used to this kind of riddles, but I couldn't figure many of them out completely on my own. I always tried at first but then I had to resort to some walkthrough to at least get some hints. It definitely spices things up though and is a nice change from the all slaughter.

The combat is simplistic, but as someone else said earlier in this thread (threads too big to find it now, sorry) – the simplicity actually helps because it does not get into the way of exploration. Connected to that is the fact that enemies don't respawn and you can clear out whole regions. These two elements keep tediousness to an absolute minimum.

Two complaints: Quest items completely filling up your whole inventory. When you gather all those keys and keycards and orbs and artifacts they take up so much space! You either have to teleport way too much or you simply forget about the loot. This can get really annoying by the end of the game and is thus its biggest flaw for me.
A more minor thing is the almost complete absence of a story. The setting is so imaginative .. why does the story then have to be reduced to two minor infodumps in the very last dungeon? The game also does not a good job in giving you objectives. Most of the time I had no idea what I was doing and why.

I really had much more fun with this game than I expected and will definitely continue with this series (after a break to prevent burnout).

(Does the story get better in the later games?)

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Story gets slightly better in later games.
Regarding item cluttering up inventory, you could always recruit some hirelings to keep the items for you.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I'm going to be the opposite of that guy.

Against my better judgement I decided to reinstall my ancient CD copy of World of Xeen. It was awful. I can't believe I enjoyed this step-based, degenerate D&D-derived nonsense when I was younger. I guess it just goes to show that you can enjoy anything when you don't have anything better to do nor the proper context with which to judge it.

I had forgotten how amazing the voice acting was, especially the intros. Stepping into an unashamedly sillier time.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Nice try Rougey but we have been trolled way better ;)
Begone go back your Sawyer centric decline threads in popamole land

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom