Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic The Might and Magic Discussion Thread

What is the best Might & Magic game in the series?

• Might and Magic: Book I

Votes: 17 2.3%
  • Might and Magic II: Gates to Another World

Votes: 29 3.9%
  • Might and Magic III: Isles of Terra

Votes: 59 8.0%
  • Might and Magic: World of Xeen

Votes: 182 24.6%
  • Might and Magic: Swords of Xeen

Votes: 5 0.7%
  • Might and Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven

Votes: 210 28.4%
  • Might and Magic VII: For Blood and Honor

Votes: 129 17.4%
  • Might and Magic VIII: Day of the Destroyer

Votes: 26 3.5%
  • Might and Magic IX

Votes: 10 1.4%
  • Might and Magic X

Votes: 73 9.9%

• Total voters

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
MMX being better than 6 through 8 is a bit of a stretch. Why do you think that?

octavius

Arcane
Patron
My own list after having recently replayed 1 and 6, and currently replaying 7, and not having played 8 and 10 yet:
2 and 6, 1, 7, 3, 4/5, 9

Darth Canoli

Arcane
MMX being better than 6 through 8 is a bit of a stretch. Why do you think that?

Well, i played X (didn't finish it, but it's still there when i want to) months ago (a year or more maybe) but i remember battle was interesting, maybe the best of the series in that regard (although i like 3-5 battle-system ), some nice improvements here and there and a couple of terrible features like travelling is now a issue, loading time and also travelling/shopping in town is a real pain.
Maybe at some point, mods could fix the travelling and town issues, didn't check yet but hopefully when i'm ready to finish/restart it, there will be some nice mods.

Replayed MMVII with mods and i can't stomach the battle system, right in the first island, the fucking dragonflies attacking you unaware (from behind, from the sky ) is a fucking pain, of course, there's the slight noise hint when they hit but it could come from afar, then you realize it's on, you turn around 2 or 3 times before you can spot the offender, that's a fucking pain.
I just wish the game paused/went turn based automatically as soon as an enemy targets me.

Well, in the options, 3 buttons are greyed/unusable, maybe it's there but mods destroyed it.
From memory, you had this option.

Last edited:

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Use Wizard Eye to keep track of enemies.
I think you start with the spell if you start with Air Magic. If not there's plenty of scrolls on the starting island.

Lacrymas

Arcane
What's the problem with travelling in MMX? You have the obelisks, the Beacon spell, ships and horses, etc. You don't have flight or levitate, but eh.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Lacrymas
Flight/levitate would be nice indeed.
What about walking on water ? (yes, i like to play Jesus)
Teleport ? (Would be amazing to take shortcuts in town )
Town portal ? (although, i think there is some items doing just that )
Travelling Mirrors ? (in each town, you write a location and hop, you're there, even dungeons )

What happened to Loyd's Beacon ? Seriously, only one spot is bad enough (same as MMIII-V but there were so many means to travel), it's shared by party members whom know the spell (in MM3-5, each character had his own location, VI +, multiple spots for each character )

Lacrymas

Arcane
You can walk on water with Shalassa's blessing. I think a Lloyd's Beacon-like spell exists as a Prime Magic spell and can be cast individually by party members. Don't quote me on that, though, I didn't level Prime Magic enough to get it. There may also be a teleport spell somewhere, but I only leveled Fire, Light, Water and Nature. No idea what's up with Dark, Prime and Air.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Yes, spirit beacon, one spot to teleport to and if 2 or 3 members have the spell (druid and the main prime magic user can have it ), they share the same spot, that's what i was talking about, maybe that's unclear if you're not familiar with the series.

The teleport spell was teleport 1-9 square in front of you and no there isn't one as far as i know, unless they patched it.

So i'm waiting for mods but looks like modders hate M&M X, maybe in 10 years if next blobbers sucks for a decade, they'll come back to M&M X ^^

You know, when i created my party, i did it with the series spells in mind and i had to have a (loyd's beacon) spirit beacon caster at least but i didn't realize they downgraded it so hard, what a disappointment.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
What the hell does this even mean?

Abei5gD.jpg

How the hell do I mix more than two potions, or more than one reagant and one bottle at the same time?

Darth Canoli

Arcane
octavius
If i remember correctly, you make a single color potion, then the second one, then you mix them, then you add the yellows one by one, i believe you can find the recipes anywhere but you probably know that.

Alchemy was fun in this game but hints take a lot of space in your backpack

Oh, an Arcomage set !

Oh, a horseshoe, +2 luck, is it not ?

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I tried mixing in stages, but every combo I tried blew up. Oh wait...now I see my Alchemist is only Expert, but needs to be Master. That explains it.

Horseshoe are +2 skill points. Very handy.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
You are the first person that buys recipes,especially for such potions. Are you going for a solo playtrough? I never used alchemy outside of MM6.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
My memory is faulty but i think i recall hints being elusive at best, giving you wrong directions at worst.

Maybe it's [(blue + yellow) +(red + yellow)] + yellow or any weird combination or else it's wrong all the way like luca said.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
You are the first person that buys recipes,especially for such potions. Are you going for a solo playtrough? I never used alchemy outside of MM6.

I need Cure Paralyze potions for the Red Dwarf Mine, since the Medusae keep targeting my priest.
There were some scattered about, but all gone now.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

I need Cure Paralyze potions for the Red Dwarf Mine, since the Medusae keep targeting my priest.
There were some scattered about, but all gone now.
Yeah,they were the most annoying enemy during that part of the game. Stone to flesh was pretty easy to get,but cure paralyse is not. I save scummed during that part or just run past them.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
By the way, as i can't recast my vote, my new list after trying to replay M&M VII with mods (i voted VII from memory/nostalgia, silly me )

1 - Might & Magic III : Isles of Terra
2 - Might & Magic IV - V : World of Xeen (some improvements from III but some decline too which isn't allowed, it has to improve only, motherfuckers )
3 - Might & Magic X (Overall, it's so much better than VI - VIII, IX didn't happen, right ? ) still loading time and travelling are an issue in this one, a real shame because it was Might & Magic strong suit (travelling ) ...

My favorite is Isles of Terra too; the jump in graphics and sound from 2 was so dramatic that it really comes across as the definitive Might and Magic game for me whenever I think of the series
While World of Xeen is also fantastic it seems to me they built on top on the what Terra laid out but didn’t innovate too much

Funny how of the main RPG franchises of the 80 (Wizardry, Might and Magic, Ultima and Bard’s Tale) only the Ultima games always tried to push forward both from the technological and story perspectives, the other series had these great leaps like Might and Magic 3 or 6 then refinements but they kind of lost their way after that

I always say that my favorite franchise I would like to see revived is the Stalker series but for RPGs I think Might and Magic would be it for me

Ravness

Educated
Is there a way to up the resolution on Might and Magic 6? Playing it on Windowed mode is pretty rough on 1080p

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom