Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic The Might and Magic Discussion Thread

What is the best Might & Magic game in the series?

• Might and Magic: Book I

Votes: 17 2.3%
  • Might and Magic II: Gates to Another World

Votes: 29 3.9%
  • Might and Magic III: Isles of Terra

Votes: 59 8.0%
  • Might and Magic: World of Xeen

Votes: 182 24.6%
  • Might and Magic: Swords of Xeen

Votes: 5 0.7%
  • Might and Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven

Votes: 210 28.4%
  • Might and Magic VII: For Blood and Honor

Votes: 129 17.4%
  • Might and Magic VIII: Day of the Destroyer

Votes: 26 3.5%
  • Might and Magic IX

Votes: 10 1.4%
  • Might and Magic X

Votes: 73 9.9%

• Total voters

Ravness

Educated
So I'm playing Might and Magic 6 for the first time, I wish somebody could've told me that having bows on everyone would make early game easier.
I'm about to do the Goblinwatch quest but I wanna make sure my characters are okay.
Paladin, Sorc, Sorc, and Cleric. The skills I've gotten so far is Disarm, Identify, air and water magic, and repair.

I should be set for now right? Is leveling up fire magic good? The game throws alot of mobs at you early on and magic barely does any damage

T. Reich

Arcane
Talking about MM7 preferences, my personal first choice of travel destination has been Tularean Forest, followed by Avlee. A couple of piss-easy quests, a whole lot of loot laying unattended on the maps to be picked up, and Tularean features a whole bunch of pretty much "free" combat exp. Plus, you can pick up some pretty spiffy high-grade ranged weapons in Avlee if you're lucky.

Curratum

Whoever designed Bracada desert with all those shitty unmarked random teleporters and buildings you can't reach without flight or knowing the exact teleport, especially considering you can't label anything on the map, is a fucking moron. I like the game so far but this is just horrendous game design. Its only purpose is to annoy and make moving around a chore.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
So I'm playing Might and Magic 6 for the first time, I wish somebody could've told me that having bows on everyone would make early game easier.
I'm about to do the Goblinwatch quest but I wanna make sure my characters are okay.
Paladin, Sorc, Sorc, and Cleric. The skills I've gotten so far is Disarm, Identify, air and water magic, and repair.

I should be set for now right? Is leveling up fire magic good? The game throws alot of mobs at you early on and magic barely does any damage
Having bow on everyone is a must for me, it does make the late game easier, since you are gunning down the easier enemies with constant arrow barrage.

In the older MM(3-5) games i found bows to be kind of useless. Was i doing it wrong or are they useless?

Can't say I ever used em. Most of the time you get hit back harder than you hit with bows. Spell casting or getting into melee is better. I'm not sure if bows actually scale up their number of attacks or if it's always 1 per turn.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
In the older MM(3-5) games i found bows to be kind of useless. Was i doing it wrong or are they useless?

Can't say I ever used em. Most of the time you get hit back harder than you hit with bows. Spell casting or getting into melee is better. I'm not sure if bows actually scale up their number of attacks or if it's always 1 per turn.
I believe that is one per turn,everyone with a bow fires and the enemy moves toward you.

Dorateen

Arcane
In Might & Magic III to V, you use bows to soften up the enemy as they approach. Unless the enemy has spells or ranged attacks of their own, then you "jump" to the square in front of them and melee them to death.

Obsidian-grade missile weapons are respectable enough.

Sinatar

Arbiter
Yea in 3-5 bows are just a way to thin the herd as they approach. You can also cheese enemies with them by shooting them across terrain features they can't cross like rivers and mountains.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
In Might & Magic III to V, you use bows to soften up the enemy as they approach. Unless the enemy has spells or ranged attacks of their own, then you "jump" to the square in front of them and melee them to death.

Obsidian-grade missile weapons are respectable enough.
For tough magic users you could just not see them,i remember that they don't shoot you if you approach them with your back.

T. Reich

Arcane

When you play bow in MM6-8, once you propely optimise bow-wielding (involves getting quick bows and pumping insane amounts of points into GM bow), your restoration time becomes extremely low, allowing for what looks like a constant uninterrupted stream of twinned arrows, annihilating everything you your path. Really sucks in cramped spaces though.

Looks like that (taken from Pope Amole II 's MM8 solo playthrough):

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

When you play bow in MM6-8, once you propely optimise bow-wielding (involves getting quick bows and pumping insane amounts of points into GM bow), your restoration time becomes extremely low, allowing for what looks like a constant uninterrupted stream of twinned arrows, annihilating everything you your path. Really sucks in cramped spaces though.

Looks like that (taken from Pope Amole II 's MM8 solo playthrough):

Yeah i know,still you have to play a lot of time to get to that level of cheese thus making it kind of not cheese. It is only normal to be a god at level 200 when you can finish the game at level 50. I do like to master all my possible skill and don't go in to skill dumping.

Pope Amole II

Nerd Commando Game Studios
Developer
Yeah i know,still you have to play a lot of time to get to that level of cheese

Nope. If you'll look into the playlist you'll see that the entire playthrough took about 17 hours. Well, ok, I was doing some minor economy stuff behind the screen so maybe 20-21. But, compared to the size of the game world, that's in no way long.

For anyone interested, my mm VI solo druid playthrough took around 20 hours of recording. There was a bit more of background time there, though, so the actual number was probably something like 25-26. Still not that much.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Nope. If you'll look into the playlist you'll see that the entire playthrough took about 17 hours. Well, ok, I was doing some minor economy stuff behind the screen so maybe 20-21. But, compared to the size of the game world, that's in no way long.

For anyone interested, my mm VI solo druid playthrough took around 20 hours of recording. There was a bit more of background time there, though, so the actual number was probably something like 25-26. Still not that much.
Pretty much the time needed for seasoned player to finish the game. You can finish VIII faster because it is the smallest and have dragons. It is fun do this shit once after you have replayed the game a few times,it is not something that every first time player will do. Also you could hardly call it cheese when you waste 20-25 hours grinding enemies at the arena. I would rather play the game and have fun in this time,still to each their own.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Pretty much the time needed for seasoned player to finish the game. You can finish VIII faster because it is the smallest and have dragons. It is fun do this shit once after you have replayed the game a few times,it is not something that every first time player will do. Also you could hardly call it cheese when you waste 20-25 hours grinding enemies at the arena. I would rather play the game and have fun in this time,still to each their own.

are you even reading posts you respond to? Are you comparing solo druid game to party of dragons?
Said the guy without reading my post. Where the fuck did i say party of dragons or me comparing them to a solo druid? Don't be retarded mate.

Pope Amole II

Nerd Commando Game Studios
Developer
The actual problem with that dragon statement is that the dragons are overhyped. I mean, they're stronger than your average mixed squad and they're certainly better than melee but full mage team will go through the game much, much faster. If only because they don't need to grind through those giant planes - armageddons save too much time.

And even archer party is faster than dragons. Their DPS is higher and they're more convenient to use in Real Time - dragon's projectiles are often too slow for that, the enemies will dodge them by moving. Rain of arrows, on the other hand, stunlock foes so they're much harder to avoid.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
The actual problem with that dragon statement is that the dragons are overhyped. I mean, they're stronger than your average mixed squad and they're certainly better than melee but full mage team will go through the game much, much faster. If only because they don't need to grind through those giant planes - armageddons save too much time.

And even archer party is faster than dragons. Their DPS is higher and they're more convenient to use in Real Time - dragon's projectiles are often too slow for that, the enemies will dodge them by moving. Rain of arrows, on the other hand, stunlock foes so they're much harder to avoid.
The early dragon can speed up the game a lot,in the beginning he is doing damage equal to the whole party. The whole discussion is kind of pointless,we are talking about MM8 after all. The game is the easiest of them all and shortest too. Also all the games have some op build that breaks the game if played well. I personally don't care about such builds,would ratter go for a fun playtrough with the party have used 50 times before that go for single character or optimal party build. Still i am not bitching about people that do like to do it,kudos to them for doing it. Everyone have their own way of enjoying MM games.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
I wish somebody could've told me that having bows on everyone would make early game easier.

Pretty sure almost every single post about MM6 mentions this. :positive:

FYI, something I don't see mentioned, is auto-run drastically slows attack speed even if you are standing still. If you are using the patch with auto-run, make sure to toggle it off for every fight (or just don't use it).

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I wish somebody could've told me that having bows on everyone would make early game easier.

FYI, something I don't see mentioned, is auto-run drastically slows attack speed even if you are standing still. If you are using the patch with auto-run, make sure to toggle it off for every fight (or just don't use it).
Toggling auto run is one of the most important skills in the games ;). Just keeping on the edge of the enemy in between attacks with run key is pretty important.Also running effects the turn speed.

octavius

Arcane
Patron

I believe that is one per turn,everyone with a bow fires and the enemy moves toward you.

You can shoot twice if you double hit the S key.
In MM 3-5 you can mow down most enemies outside before they reach you.

Ravness

Educated

Thanks for the heads up, I got interested in the game because I saw that video that ssethtzeentach made while watching Homm3 video

Barbalos

Savant
I am currently playing Might and Magic X: Legacy Deluxe Edition, and really enjoying it. The graphics are nice, and I enjoy the strictly turn-based and grid-based mechanics a lot. I find the combat satisfyingly tactical, though I may have flubbed by choosing the normal difficulty, as most of the time it is quite a bit too easy. I like the different perks for different races/classes too, they feel impactful; elves get an evasion bonus, and I do notice my elf evades more, and so on. I went Crusader - Runepriest - Blade Dancer - Freemage, and it seems strong (though I am not terribly far in). Also, the snippets of writing that give context to the quests are well enough done. There is also some lore books around which seem fine, but I'm not a huge fan of the HoMM universe's lore that this game shares.

My only big problem with the game is that the performance is horrible! I have a decently powerful PC (i7-7700 and 1060 6GB), and it still lags consistently no matter what settings I downgrade, and even at lower resolutions. Pretty bad for a 2014 turn-based RPG! If you can look past that, which I can (though I don't like it), I think it's worth playing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom